The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Thumb Tips at the Dollar store. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1091 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
One time while performing, a spectator told me that I was much better than the other magicians he'd seen. He said, "You know, the magicians who use those stupid plastic fake thumbs!" I told him that I stopped using those props for kids when I was about nine years old. The funniest thing about all of this, is that I had just performed the thumb tip bill switch. He had no clue. LOL!!!

However, I have come across folks who have known that the bill switch is accomplished with a thumb tip. It really is ironic that some of the really strong tricks in close-up magic are relatively easy to perform and rely on readily available props (e.g. sponge balls, floating bill, CMHC's).

It's too bad that professional caliber effects don't ALL require years of practice. This would cut down on the folks who want to learn the trick today and go out and perform it poorly tonight.

Professionals know that the REAL secrets of magic aren't the props/techniques, but rather the performer's personality/presentation. HOWEVER, when spectators do know the method behind a great illusion, they are still entertained by the other elements of the routine (i.e. routining, storytelling, etc.), but the level of entertainment is diminished-- from what I've observed anyways. If I ever become president, I'll make it illegal to purchase a thumb tip without a doctor's prescription.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Lets move away from magic for 2 seconds.
people know many things they don't know they know. All the books I have read on marketing finance goal setting etc say the same thing, all are best sellers and yet people sit back and watch other people do miracles financially, emotionally or magically and do nothing about what they know.

The problem lies in our perception not on the spectator. If Donald Trump or George Soros or Warren Buffet had to back away from a good deal because everybody knows it they would stop doing their homework and fail.
We need to learn from them.

We are entertainers and the TT is one of the best known tools we have. Everybody knows about it. Yeah right.
That is why the biggest selling product is the TT (NOT) cause everyone wants to do the vanishing handkerchief or cig in jacket.
I agree with many of the above posts simply because I do a 10 to 15 minute routine without one trick just by entertaining and fooling around then I pull out a TT and do an effect that makes people think I am a REAL magician.
Everyone knows means less than no-one knows so buy the TT for a dollar. In fact buy ten or 20. It is a good deal and they will be around until our hands change shape. Everyday life is boring and the little bit of entertainment you bring is what everybody wants. And if you really get caught, hide it better. It shouldn't be shown. It is just a tool and then learn to cope with it.
No offense intended or meant.

Maybe moving away from the standard "Look I am putting a hanky in my hand" is a good start. You can do many things like Bill change, Vanishing salt, Appearing a live goldfish and much more.
Chickens and Beandip
View Profile
New user
Canada
83 Posts

Profile of Chickens and Beandip
I am wondering right now how many times I was amazed and the solution was simply a TT.

People don't know trust me. They'll think it is a gag.

late.
:cool:
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
About fifteen years ago a very talented friend of mine from the local magic club decided to take me to a very quiet neighborhood bar to see if we could amaze the locals. We did.

During the course of this fine evening, he slipped on a really big TT (like the Vernet) and rested his hand casually flat on the table for several minutes. With a glance to me he communicated to me that I should watch his hand. He sat there with it in full view (in dim bar light, but plain view) for ten minutes while we talked to two other people at the same table. They never saw anything. He did this just for my education and amusement. Then he did a trick with the TT.

Notice that this approach eliminates the problem of sticking your hand in your pocket to get something just before you use the TT.

Try this sometime when you are not performing. Just wear the thing to a restaurant and see if anyone notices.

Yours,

Paul
swatchel-omi
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of swatchel-omi
I have a funny TT story.

A couple of years ago I was in my kitchen cutting tomatoes for a salad when I sliced off the very tip of my thumb. (Ouch!)
Of course it was in the middle of my very busy season and I had a bunch of balloon twisting gigs coming up. Whenever a balloon popped or I snapped off a piece, it would fly back and hit the tip of my thumb. It hurt like crazy. So I put a band-aid on it, and cut a large TT down to where just the nail was showing and stuck on over the band-aid. It made a nice protective "shield" for the tender part of my thumb..

I had this thing on for 2 weeks and not one person said, "Hey, what's that ?" I wasn't trying to hide it, I wasn't pretending it wasn't there, and I wasn't keeping my hand in motion to keep it invisible. I even had it on when I had people pick cards and no one noticed.

I learned a valuable lesson. ACT NATURAL and no one will notice anything funny.

Joe H
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Hi Guys,
I don't think we have a problem.
Take a look on "Good, Bad and Garbage" ..Tricks and Effects and the topic "New Magic Accessory..a Classic".
and click on the link in the first post!!!

I reckon its an April Fool..but it's still funny and says it all.
cheers
Howard
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Quote:
On 2004-03-08 23:24, Bill Palmer wrote:
I used to see them in Stuckey's all along the highway. They were hanging from rack pack displays with "Cigarette Through the Handkerchief"

Bill:

Thanks for the memory! My family used to take cross-country vacations along Route 66 (no, not quite as disastrous as the Griswolds made it out to be). A pleasant trip into the Way Back Machine, though to this day I cannot stomach Pecan Logs, and probably have a "Smoking Dog" in my Magic Junque Drawer :0)

Leland Edward Stone
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
It's good the layman tends to forget Smile
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I love it when I find magic being sold at the dollar store. I buy it all up and use it for give-aways at childrens birthday party shows.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of David Todd
The local Sam Flax art and craft store in Orlando, FL is selling Vernet TT's for $1.00 ! I bought 15 of them ! Now, will my buying so many of them make the manager decide to stock up on TT's or will they disappear from the Sam Flax ? Who knows .

I have always been against the open display of TT's in magic shops or non-magic shops. I wish Vernet would package them in an opaque bag , instead of a clear bag . Oh well......

Quote:
On 2004-04-01 08:19, drwilson wrote:
Try this sometime when you are not performing. Just wear the thing to a restaurant and see if anyone notices.

I did the same thing once with a sixth finger .

I wore it displayed between my middle and ring finger for an entire meeting . During this meeting I talked with and gestured with the hand wearing the sixth finger .
Not one person in the group noticed .
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-03-08 19:03, Randy Sager wrote:
Oh boy I can hear the knifes being sharpened and the other weapons being cleaned to go on the rampage over this! Smile but it is true many will.

Yes it is too bad when items are too well known. But the TT has been known for years and I have never been found out with it except for when I first started out of course. It is all in the way it is used.

Maybe I will have to check out the dollar stores in the Vegas area and snatch a bunch up for myself. Certainly a good deal.

There is a danger about this that you probably don't realize, because you haven't experienced it. The lay audience does not necessarily need to see a TT to believe one is being used. If they know of its existence, that may be enough of an answer for them. Let me give you an example. One afternoon, I was performing downtown, doing the cigarette in the jacket routine. I could actually hear (and see) a fellow about 25 feet from me explaining to the fellow standing next to him "You see, he has this fake thumb and ..." as he demonstrated to his friend exactly what a TT was and how it was used. I know he didn't see mine. He couldn't have. I was using a completely different method.

But it was enough of an answer for him, and that gave him enough information to ruin the show.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Hey folks,
I know this is not a revolutionary idea however I will say it. The worst thing any magician can do, while using a TT, is to use the TYPICAL over used handling. This will send out a RED FLAG worse than painting the TT Flourescent Orange!
The public has grown so used to seeing Uncle George "do that cigarette trick" leaving us no choice but to drastically change the choreography of the entire handling. David Williamson did an excellent routine with the Salt, Cup & Saucer. I have never performed this yet but it will be the FIRST on my list as it is a prime example of re-thinking the handling as well as a VERY CLEVER routine.
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Actually, if anybody's teaching magic classes, these cheap thumbtips could be a great addition to the tricks to be taught. Just a thought.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2004-06-23 01:15, Chance Wolf wrote:

The public has grown so used to seeing Uncle George "do that cigarette trick" leaving us no choice but to drastically change the choreography of the entire handling.

Amen, Chance.

Everyone take a look at Ross Bertram's handling for the Vanishing Lit Cig. written up by David Ben in the special Ross Bertram issue of Genii , March 2003 .

It will fool Uncle George and his followers.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-06-23 01:15, Chance Wolf wrote:
Hey folks,
I know this is not a revolutionary idea however I will say it. The worst thing any magician can do, while using a TT, is to use the TYPICAL over used handling. This will send out a RED FLAG worse than painting the TT Flourescent Orange!
The public has grown so used to seeing Uncle George "do that cigarette trick" leaving us no choice but to drastically change the choreography of the entire handling. David Williamson did an excellent routine with the Salt, Cup & Saucer. I have never performed this yet but it will be the FIRST on my list as it is a prime example of re-thinking the handling as well as a VERY CLEVER routine.
Chance

That's absolutely true. However, even if you aren't using a TT and you have some jerk in the front row who goes through the whole explanation for all of his friends, it doesn't matter what you are using. For a layman, ANY solution is the right solution, even if it cannot possibly be correct.

Here's another example. I was doing a strolling show in a downtown mall. One of the items I did was the Scotty York light bulb. I think most of you know how it works. One of the bystanders was busy explaining how it worked to her friend. She had an atomic lamp, and even though, the base of the Scotty York lamp was completely visible to her, and there was no way I could have been using an atomic lamp -- she was convinced that was what was going on.

Nothing can counteract a TDB with a loud voice. Interestingly enough, her explanation started, "I'm a clown and I know how these things operate."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Here is one for you.
I was doing walk around and this little girl reach into my pocket and found my TT. She was looking for the card that just vanished. Any way she said "Hey I know what this is for.. It is when you pull your thumb off like this." the old taking your thumb off trick. I said "Thats right that is exactly how that is done" Then I put it back into my pocket and pulled out a silk and made it vanish right before their eyes and I used........ That same thumb Tip and they never thought it was the same thing. THis was a self "I gottch ya!"
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3369 Posts

Profile of Julie
Check Jay Scott Berry's (sp?)handling for a tt--even well informed Magic types will be fooled!
Justin Hart
View Profile
Loyal user
Warsaw, VA
219 Posts

Profile of Justin Hart
Smile This thread is amusing because any lay person could stumble on it off of google I'm sure if they really wanted to and I don't think anyone is going to, but if selling these things in the public is a problem for some, then how do we discuss it in public?

I think method needs adjusting...we evolve faster methods than the spectators can sometimes comprehend and that's why we are ahead so to speak with most tricks.

I'm personally not against talking about it or selling it because I don't use one. You can perform a very nice bill switch with sleight anyway. Most anything can be duped with sleight for the most part...maybe just not the cleanest means possible.

There are those rebel tricks though that most everyone seem to know...and if someone starts dealing 3 rows of 7 in front of me one more time, I'm gonna kill myself with a ricky jay method from cards as weapons.

Most people also perform with a TT too early in the career during a point in which their hands are growing with them and it's an awkward phase...so they expose more tricks to the public than dollar general in my opinion. The older you get, the more natural your hands become.

Either way, the TT is a tool as said above, it's use, just like everything else in magic is gained through practice and then strive for perfection only to conceal it completely. This post is not meant to offend anyone, just based on what I've personally experienced.
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
Quote:
On 2004-06-23 00:54, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-03-08 19:03, Randy Sager wrote:
Oh boy I can hear the knifes being sharpened and the other weapons being cleaned to go on the rampage over this! Smile but it is true many will.

Yes it is too bad when items are too well known. But the TT has been known for years and I have never been found out with it except for when I first started out of course. It is all in the way it is used.

Maybe I will have to check out the dollar stores in the Vegas area and snatch a bunch up for myself. Certainly a good deal.

There is a danger about this that you probably don't realize, because you haven't experienced it. The lay audience does not necessarily need to see a TT to believe one is being used. If they know of its existence, that may be enough of an answer for them. Let me give you an example. One afternoon, I was performing downtown, doing the cigarette in the jacket routine. I could actually hear (and see) a fellow about 25 feet from me explaining to the fellow standing next to him "You see, he has this fake thumb and ..." as he demonstrated to his friend exactly what a TT was and how it was used. I know he didn't see mine. He couldn't have. I was using a completely different method.

But it was enough of an answer for him, and that gave him enough information to ruin the show.

That is very true Bill. I know we all have that happen at times. I have had it happen a few Myself. So your point is well taken.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13363 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think its best purchasing them from a regular magic shop even if it's a couple more bucks.

They need all the support they can get.

If dollar stores cant sell them perhaps they will no longer be stocked there.

kills two birds with one stone.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Thumb Tips at the Dollar store. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL