The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20018 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
As are you guys.

OK Keith do you think what Tom posted was an attack on me?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2016, TomBoleware wrote:
Charliecheckers,

There is some more material on the subject, and I will share this with you.

Knowing about Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is a good thing, but the top two needs on the chart are rarely met due to
the limiting self-image that’s been conditioned into our subconscious. Over the years our parents have told us “no”
and so many times our teachers and professors told us we were wrong in class. And having our very own friends, yes
right here on the Café, convincing us we can’t do something just because they can’t. It’s like we become hypnotized
into believing we can’t.

Many of the psychological methods of training elite athletes and top salespeople are based on the concepts in a book
called Psycho-Cybernetics written by Maxwell Maltz. Mr Maltz was a famous cosmetic surgeon that discovered that the
patient needed more than just surgery to change how they felt about themselves. It took de-hypnotizing themselves
to fix the problem.

Back in the early 70’s I studied and taught other salespeople Psycho-Cybernetics, it is a life changing experience.
The late Zig Ziglar is arguably America’s most celebrated motivational speaker and sales trainer and in his book
Secrets of Closing the Sale, which has sold thousands of copies, Zig writes: “The salesman’s self- image has a direct
bearing on his sales success... when your self-image is solid, you can go from one prospect to the next, regardless
of the reception you get. As a salesperson it will help you enormously to understand that nobody on the face of this
earth can make you feel inferior without your permission. Once you get your image right, then your sales world and your
personal world will improve. Dr. Maxwell Maltz, author of Psycho-Cybernetics, said the purpose of all psychotherapy
is to build the self-esteem, that is, the image of the patient ... your self-image is important, so build a good one
and you will be able to build your sales career bigger, better and faster.”

One key point in the book that I liked was on using the imagination to visualize the things you want. When you see a
thing clearly in your mind, your creative “success mechanism” within you takes over and does the job much better than
you could do it by conscious effort or willpower. Using pictures, notes, and lists, can be a big help in reaching your goals.

I highly recommend Psycho-Cybernetics (the first version, not the updated ones) by Maxwell Maltz. It has been used to
train highly successful business people all over the world. Not a lot of babble as Danny calls it, just the facts of life.

Tom

Great information, Tom. Now I know more dealing with Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. You are a true born genius buddy.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20018 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Charliecheckers,

There is some more material on the subject, and I will share this with you.

Knowing about Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is a good thing, but the top two needs on the chart are rarely met due to
the limiting self-image that’s been conditioned into our subconscious. Over the years our parents have told us “no”
and so many times our teachers and professors told us we were wrong in class. And having our very own friends, yes
right here on the Café, convincing us we can’t do something just because they can’t. It’s like we become hypnotized
into believing we can’t.

Many of the psychological methods of training elite athletes and top salespeople are based on the concepts in a book
called Psycho-Cybernetics written by Maxwell Maltz. Mr Maltz was a famous cosmetic surgeon that discovered that the
patient needed more than just surgery to change how they felt about themselves. It took de-hypnotizing themselves
to fix the problem.

Back in the early 70’s I studied and taught other salespeople Psycho-Cybernetics, it is a life changing experience.
The late Zig Ziglar is arguably America’s most celebrated motivational speaker and sales trainer and in his book
Secrets of Closing the Sale, which has sold thousands of copies, Zig writes: “The salesman’s self- image has a direct
bearing on his sales success... when your self-image is solid, you can go from one prospect to the next, regardless
of the reception you get. As a salesperson it will help you enormously to understand that nobody on the face of this
earth can make you feel inferior without your permission. Once you get your image right, then your sales world and your
personal world will improve. Dr. Maxwell Maltz, author of Psycho-Cybernetics, said the purpose of all psychotherapy
is to build the self-esteem, that is, the image of the patient ... your self-image is important, so build a good one
and you will be able to build your sales career bigger, better and faster.”

One key point in the book that I liked was on using the imagination to visualize the things you want. When you see a
thing clearly in your mind, your creative “success mechanism” within you takes over and does the job much better than
you could do it by conscious effort or willpower. Using pictures, notes, and lists, can be a big help in reaching your goals.

I highly recommend Psycho-Cybernetics (the first version, not the updated ones) by Maxwell Maltz. It has been used to
train highly successful business people all over the world. Not a lot of babble as Danny calls it, just the facts of life.

Tom

To be clear this almost completely misses the point of Maslow and how it can be used.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1960 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
into believing we can’t.

I highly recommend Psycho-Cybernetics (the first version, not the updated ones) by Maxwell Maltz.
Tom

Interesting discussion around the perceptions of the first paragraph. I do not doubt some have been negatively impacted from their negative environment, but as Danny points out in a stark example, telling someone they cannot do something can have a real positive impact. It can guide them closer towards something they can do. People often point out the short comings of parents, friends and so forth thst hold one back by discouraging them, but little is ever mentioned about the negative impact of parents or friends who fill individuals with false bravado. I have seen this occur many times, and it does not often end well. Again, I think it is an interesting subject.

Thanks for the tip on Psycho-Cybernetics. I hope to get a chance to look into that sometime soon.

My original intent of this thread was to examine Moslow's Hierarchy as it relates to client/audience perceptions and needs.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20018 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2016, charliecheckers wrote:
Quote:
into believing we can’t.

I highly recommend Psycho-Cybernetics (the first version, not the updated ones) by Maxwell Maltz.
Tom

My original intent of this thread was to examine Moslow's Hierarchy as it relates to client/audience perceptions and needs.

Which was EXACTLYwhy I didn't answer here. The point gets diluted.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9761 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2016, charliecheckers wrote:
I do not doubt some have been negatively impacted from their negative environment, but as Danny points out in a stark example, telling someone they cannot do something can have a real positive impact. It can guide them closer towards something they can do. People often point out the short comings of parents, friends and so forth thst hold one back by discouraging them, but little is ever mentioned about the negative impact of parents or friends who fill individuals with false bravado. I have seen this occur many times, and it does not often end well.

This is exactly what happens here. If the whole spirit is "magicians helping magicians" I've always believed that the truth is always the best whether the popular choice or not. False encouragement does nothing. If anything it sets one on a misleading path, it creates false hope and unrealistic expectations. Giving the truth to someone straight is always best both immediately (where things/approaches can still be adjusted) and in the long run and giving false hope and encouragement, false support (look at the mess that has created) and unrealistic approaches and expectation as charliechecers says never ends well in the long run.

If the goal is to provide true help and assistance (as in magicians helping magicians) guys would call out the BS and fairy dust blowing, wannabes and step forward to prevent the false encouragement, the poor message and misfortune being offered.

Where true encouragement occurs is when the right knowledge is backed with the proper encouragement. Only together can it truly happen. Instead as we often see here, guys prefer to remain silent and let someone fail, be led down a wrong or improper path, or have to learn it themselves, the hard way. That's not really helping anyone now is it?

So many get discouraged and give up because of this exact factor. Again, as I always say it also depends who you choose to listen to or accept knowledge and experience from. Doing so from the wrong persons can also be disastrous and nonproductive.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2687 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Charliecheckers,

You asked for more info and the purpose of recommending the book was so that you could get a better understanding of
Moslow's Hierarchy and the needs of others as well as self. Just trying to be helpful.

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1960 Posts

Tom - not sure if the written word conveyed it, but my appreciation of you taking your time to share the resource and perspective on Maslow was genuine.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2687 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2016, charliecheckers wrote:
Tom - not sure if the written word conveyed it, but my appreciation of you taking your time to share the resource and perspective on Maslow was genuine.

Yes,it did and Thanks. I just didn’t want you to think I was trying to completely change the subject.

Also, I didn’t mean to imply the updated copies weren’t good too, I just liked the original.
Fact is, the updated version was edited by Dan Kennedy, a pretty good marketing expert, entitled
The New Psycho-Cybernetics and was published in 2002, incorporating a number of examples and case
studies, mostly from entrepreneurial ventures.

Tom

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1960 Posts

I do want to share that Danny made good on his offer to provide very detailed content about Maslow's Heirarchy as it relates to the How's Where's and Why's of marketing an entertainment business. Thanks Danny.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20018 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What a fantastic missing of the point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9761 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Lol
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
What a fantastic missing of the point.

You don't get it do you?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20018 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You mean your need to post things like that which totally miss the point? No I don't get it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Danny, look again. The graph I posted is not missing "the point." Look at how the top up the triangle is "pointing" up. It relates to making success in life. Imagine making it to the top. How is "pointing" to the top missing "the point?" If you think about it you are missing "the point(s)."

The words inside of the triangle are strong "points" to Winners. Only the Losers will see it as kryptonite. Now do you get it?

P.S. A triangle always has three points.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1960 Posts

It is interesting to see the number of posts and views on this thread. It tells me there is interest in this subject. When I saw Danny reference how Maslow's theory plays into what we do, it instantly captivated me. I really never studied Maslow and only had a general idea of what he spoke. I began this thread to initiate a conversation on how one might use what Maslow taught to influence their approach to growing their business. As has been recently pointed out in other threads, entertainment is not a basic need. In fact, their are many non basic needs that many would still list as more necessary than entertainment. Also, it has been pointed out that most of us are not Copperfield, Disney, or any other "go to" form of entertainment. So where do/can we fit in and still leverage our understanding of Maslow's Heirarcy of needs? I still have much to learn about this. Danny shared some great insights here and via PM's. I agree with him that a focused discussion would be very beneficial.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9761 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Then let's stay focused on the topic! Not derailing it with some unrelated elementary triangle of pseudo-infomation. I've seen more derailing that forward discussion of this topic. This is a good discussion for the most part. I wish there was more of this type of info and discussions here (without derailment) rather than just surface stuff. This is the business section after all. Success is made in the business side of entertainment, and it can be a very deep, inviting and fascinating area that many can still learn plenty. The key with so much of this type of content is not to try to simplify it but rather understand it on such levels as intended.

So charliecheckers what are your thoughts? Can you see the role it can play in our business and fine-tuning our process or at least a potion thereof?

There are two levels that this should be considered - one for our industry as a whole, and secondly for your individual business based on performance markets, qualifying target prospects and other related elements.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2687 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Charliecheckers,

How can we stay focused on a topic that was only shared with you through a PM? Smile

I'm surprised to see that the chart Mike shared has nothing to do with it.
Did Danny have another chart?

Tom

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1960 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 27, 2016, Mindpro wrote:
So charliecheckers what are your thoughts? Can you see the role it can play in our business and fine-tuning our process or at least a potion thereof?.

When considering the Library market, I find certain systems where librarians are more accountable for the results of their Summer Reading program. In those situations, I send promotional material to the librarians with an emphasis on the value we offer in terms of positive comments librarians receive, increased audience potential, and reading materials checked out. These are all measurable ways they can demonstrate how good they are to their boss. I think this relates to Self Esteem and the opportunity to validate themselves.

Different systems are more relaxed, different clients have varing needs and I need to consider what aligned need I can identify that I can satisfy that will best fulfill their identified need that they will be willing to part with their money to satisfy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL