The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Attention left handers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
disappointing hack
View Profile
New user
aberystwyth
98 Posts

Profile of disappointing hack
This wont concern any right handed card workers out there.....
I'm interested to know how other left handed magicians have a card peaked. it cannot be exectued in the same manner as a righty as there is no index visible to the spectator, and if you riffle at the bottom left corner then the spectators are looking at the spot where you will catch your break. so if you're a fellow lefty, I hope you'll be so kind as to offer up your own solution to this rather tricky problem
many thanks
"shoot 'em in the back, quick, while they're not looking" Richard M. Nixon's Head.
Ember
View Profile
Regular user
London
121 Posts

Profile of Ember
If you have Scams and Fantasies by Darwin Ortiz (a left hander) he publishes the glimpse he uses in one of the effects there.
D Atkinson
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of D Atkinson
Why not try some other peek other than the riffle variety.

An 'Angle Jog' style peek may work better for you or any other ambidexterous kind of thing. I'ts difficult to comment without knowing exactly what other peeks you are familiar with.

If you're desperate and you want to leave the card in the middle; Pass the card to the bottom, do a bubble peek and then pass back to the middle. No apparent change....Hopefully

Dean
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
I do not believe the 'Disappointing Hack' has a problem with covertly glimpsing the card himself, rather his dilemma is having the card peeked by the spectator - if the deck is riffled as a righty would riffle then no indexes will be seen by your participant.
If, however, the lefty riffles at the bottom corner where the indexes can be seen then not only will they appear upside down, but the spectator will be looking at exactly the place where a lefty would need to catch his break.

At least I think this is what the 'Disappointing Hack' meant.
I'm sure he will correct me if I am wrong.
Hello.
D Atkinson
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of D Atkinson
In which case the correct term is glimpse and not peek.

My understanding was that he was having lefty problems sighting the index as the deck was revolved towards him after a riffle style peek.
disappointing hack
View Profile
New user
aberystwyth
98 Posts

Profile of disappointing hack
Thanks stephen. if you read my original post I don't think you'll find the word glimpse there at all. I can competantly peak a card, that is not the problem. my post wasn't a cry for help, rather an inquiry as to how others have solved this problem of having the card peaked for themselves.
many thanks
"shoot 'em in the back, quick, while they're not looking" Richard M. Nixon's Head.
D Atkinson
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of D Atkinson
I really don't understand your last post at all. Do you really know the difference between a peek and a glimpse?

you can't even spell the word Peek...You really live up to your name as the disappointing hack.

Dean
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of seraph127
D Atkinson, I believe you've got it backwards. A spectator peeks at a card, the performer (covertly) glimpses it. The proceedure in which a spectator looks at a card by lifting up the outer index corner of the deck (which is what dh seems to be referring to) is commonly called The Spectator Peek (along with the usual taking of a break thereafter). This is, in fact, the title of Part I, Chapter 10 of H&B's Expert Card Technique.

Additionally, dh's spelling error is unfortunate, but does not seem to be of much consequence. I'm not normally the type to fuss, but I recommend you not be so bleeding pedantic, particularly when you seem a bit confused yourself.

Good day to you, sir.
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
D Atkinson
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of D Atkinson
I'm not continuing with this nonsense. The spectator does not 'peek' a card.

and for the record I'm not confused as to the difference between a peek and a glimpse in modern card terminology.

And Good day to you sir.

ps I apologise for any hurt I have caused in reference to spelling mistakes.
peter teagle
View Profile
Regular user
Redditch, UK
195 Posts

Profile of peter teagle
Put your handbags down, ladies!!

peter
"technique is science.
the application of technique is art."

peter teagle
D Atkinson
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of D Atkinson
Ok I'm Busted

I'll put down the handbag...Your right this is ridiculous....Glimpse/Peek whatever, Love feelings to Disappointing hack and seraph 127

I'm sorry.

Dean

ps Let's get on with something more important.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Quote:
On 2004-03-09 11:46, D Atkinson wrote:
Let's get on with something more important.

Hold on.
No solutions have been offered for DH's dilemma.
Surely we should offer solutions before moving on.

How do lefties have a spectator peek a card?
I'm a righty but am still curious to know...
Hello.
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
Hold deck behind your back(this also makes it look more diffcult). Note that this puts the index in just the right place for the peek. I don't use the peek often (maybe because of this lefty thing)but this method does work!
peter teagle
View Profile
Regular user
Redditch, UK
195 Posts

Profile of peter teagle
On the whole, I do have to agree with seraph127!
As described in Roberto Giobbi's Card College vol 1,
a spectator 'peeks' the card (the index)as the corners are riffled. The magician glimpses a card in order to identify a key card or a chosen card depending on the method. I don't want to be argumenative but seraph127 does appear to be correct!

peter
"technique is science.
the application of technique is art."

peter teagle
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Hi everyone,

I am a South Paw (leftie), and when I need a spectator to peek a card when I riffle the corner (the top left corner), I simply ask the spectator to say "stop" whenever he/she wants and then I open the break wider, so they can see the card better.

For a nice subtlety for lefties about this riffle-peek-break procedure I strongly encourage other lefties to check John Carney's video "Video of Secrets".

My 2 cents, hope this helps!

Cheers!

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
truquero
View Profile
New user
México
60 Posts

Profile of truquero
Hi!
I am a left handed magician too. What I do is to use my left hand to hold the deck by the inner left corner (with my thumb and my first and second fingers), and riffle with my right index finger.
If you want to know how then I get the break, please send a PM.
"No es suficiente que yo sea feliz, necesito que los demás sufran" Groucho Marx.
Armando Tell
View Profile
New user
mexico city
27 Posts

Profile of Armando Tell
"Scams and Fantasies" the best example of the best left handed glimpses! by Darwin Ortiz
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Try a deck that has four-corner pips!

Best, PSC

P.S. Hold the deck in the right hand in dealing grip. Reach over to the upper right hand corner with the left index finger and riffle for the peek. Allow the spectator to peek, then release the cards, getting the break with the skin of the right thumb at the "web" of the thumb and first finger. The break is transferred to the back of the deck, using Vernon's technique for widening the break at the back of the deck, with the left thumb. Proceed...
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Well, I use the Side Steal technique taught me by Carney years ago. It uses an upward riffle at the outer end.

Otherwise I use a standard peak. Being left handed doesn't prevent you from doing this. It's no harder to learn.

Learning to hold a break with your left hand won't kill you and moving the pack back to your right hand offers opportunity to peek the selection (using a step) and control it.
jcigam
View Profile
Special user
Bellevue, Nebraska
512 Posts

Profile of jcigam
I am a left handed magician and I found it easier to learn most everything dealing with cards just like a righty.
"The mind has exactly the same power as the hand, not merely to grasp the world, but to change it."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Attention left handers (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL