We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Your library (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I picked here Smile I was sitting doing some study and looked over to my shelf, then thought to myself "What a strange thing, for an engineer to have so much on magic."

I was curious what people's magic libraries looked like and how they stored their books. Mine is relatively modest as magic is not my "day job" but rather part of what I enjoy doing.

As an example, this is an image of my humble collection:

What does your library look like?
Russo
View Profile
Special user
816 Posts

Profile of Russo
WE (Wife and I) did an Adult(clean) Birthday Party for a Rocket Engineer-- His Library contained MANY Religious Books - asking him why?? he stated "Most Scientists-Engineers -etc. believe in GOD - because they can SEE the Pattern - not just happen stance." Ralph(russo)Rousseau
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2016, Russo wrote:
WE (Wife and I) did an Adult(clean) Birthday Party for a Rocket Engineer-- His Library contained MANY Religious Books - asking him why?? he stated "Most Scientists-Engineers -etc. believe in GOD - because they can SEE the Pattern - not just happen stance." Ralph(russo)Rousseau

Really? Most that I know are atheists. Including myself. Perhaps it's a generational thing.

Seriously though; the question was to see other peoples libraries. A good high res image lets you see what other magicians own and possibly give ideas for what texts may be a good read. Also, I just love books Smile

So, pics of library anyone?
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1219 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Been meaning to reorganize, but I kinda like my haphazard system of organization. Here's the library, in no particular order ...

Click here to view attached image.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1219 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1219 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1219 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Bookcase 4. Also posted n my Facebook page in higher res if you want to make out individual titles. Marc's magic Boxes and Slates.

mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1219 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Almost forgot, a shelf of cooler older books
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1219 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Oops, need to resize

mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1219 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
ThunderSqueak,
It's taken me nearly 50 years to build my library. You are off to a much better start -- tricks come and go but the real magic is in the books.
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2016, mcharisse wrote:
ThunderSqueak,
It's taken me nearly 50 years to build my library. You are off to a much better start -- tricks come and go but the real magic is in the books.

Wish the images were more clear, I was able to make out the titles on the larger books, thanks Smile I really liked the bunny that was holding the wand and am considering adapting something similar to a wand 3D printed wand stand for multiple wands I make a lot of my own stuff, like those wands in my picture are both homemade as is the stand. The cups however are not homemade, handmade, but not homemade.

that's a pretty big library, what book in it do you think was the most influential book to your magic?
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1219 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
The images are also posted on my Facebook page, Marc's Magic Boxes and Slates. I'm a part time performer who makes custom boxes for magicians. Never been able to figure out how to embed the pics directly from Facebook.
The books that have made me a better performer are Books of Wonder, Roy Benson by Twilight, In a Class by Himself (on Don Alan) Practcal Mental Effects, and Magical Ways and Means by Al Baker.
Would really recommend the Don Alan book to you -- never liked his performance style but it really examines the psychology of our art and makes me understand what made him great. In the chop cup chapter, for example, it really breaks down each move, word and nuance and how they contribute to the effect on the spectator. I know Denny Haney has a couple of copies and they are quite reasonable as magic books go.
Marc
ablanathanalba
View Profile
Loyal user
Can't really boast with only
257 Posts

Profile of ablanathanalba
Mine look kind of like mcharisse, though not quite as many.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1219 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
I like the chaos because when looking for a given book I often come across other texts with things on them I need to see but might have overlooked in a more ordered universe. Kinda like a shuffled deck of tarot cards.
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Here are the physical books as of right now. They were stacked in there while I moved the bookshelf. I have a couple of book that were on the work table and some I am waiting to come in. There are some booklets that you can't see and the lecture notes you can't see. The DVDs are on a different in a different room, and the magazines are with the DVDs. Then there are the eBooks and PDFs of magazines. If you would like I could just post the list so you could see that.
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

And the photo didn't load.
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22504 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You may find these topics of interest:

Organizing your books:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=34

Let's see your library:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=34
Tukaram
View Profile
Regular user
Iloilo, Philippines
198 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
ThunderSqueak, I have only a few more books than you do. But no pics... we moved into a smaller house and I have nowhere to unpack them. Mostly I have DVDs - I am more of a visual learner. I don't use the DVDs as I rip them all onto the computer, anyway.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I love the quote you have in your profile. When I get home I'll try and upload my library
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Your library (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL