The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I am calling it a design flaw. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So after being gone since the beginning of November I am now back home. No shock the battery on my mustang is not turning over. So I need to have it jumped, work the cables in my trunk. Well I can bit get into my trunk without power.

As it worked out the flaw didn't actually affect me as the battery had past its life span, but still seems strange. There is no keyed entry into the trunk.

Plus I should have been smart enough to have the cables in the garage anyhow. Maybe my brain has the design flaw.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
What year Mustang?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
There is no keyed entry into the trunk.

Wow. That seems pretty basic, no?
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I personally use this as I don't drive my mustang very often, and it works great! Awesome reviews to boot.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-022......0DJ5KEEA
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
By 2010 I would have thought there was a trunk release in the cockpit of the car. Personally if I have to get robbed, I would prefer a thief to pick the lock and help themselves rather than use a pry-bar to pop the truck or break a window. Lat time I had a radio stolen out of a car, replacing the window cost more than double what the deliberately worthless radio cost.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
In my wicked youth, when I lived in Venice Beach, I once went drinking with a friend who restored a 1966 Mustang. That car's engine sounded great, and I was really impressed with the "lack of frills" layout under the hood.

Anyway, he drove us to Huntington Beach at top speed and then we drank far too much at a local bar. On the way back, we zoomed over a hill and were flagged down for speeding. The cops made my friend try to walk in a straight line, which he couldn't. I tried to convince them that he walked funny because he had had polio as a child (which was true). But they didn't believe me. So they carted him off to jail ... AND GAVE ME THE KEYS ... even though I was just as drunk as my friend! Intoxicated as I was, it sure was fun driving that Mustang! The next morning I drove it again to bail my friend out of jail.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am embarrassed to say car tech has passed me by. I couldn't change the oil on this thing if I tried, and I used to street race and rebuild engines for crying out loud!

Heck it would have taken me 45 minutes to change the battery. The guy came out and did it in about 5. Probably hampered by me talking to him.

I remember the day I knew tech would pass me by and I was ok with it. When we were racing it was all about big blocks and power. When Buick came out with the Rivera GNX and a 3.8 liter engine that could beat me going in reverse with the air conditioner on I saw the writing on the wall. Tech was king. You added horsepower with chips in computers. I was a dinosaur and I was only about 20 LOL.

I would never be able to keep up with the tech to keeps cats going fast.

The simplicity of those cars was great. But a Honda Civic off the showroom for today basically handles better LOL.

I am so of two minds right now and torn. I was planning on getting a Tesla. LOVE the tech.

But the desire to have an old project car eats at my brain. Too much money in the Tesla, not enough to do a project correctly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
So after being gone since the beginning of November I am now back home. No shock the battery on my mustang is not turning over. So I need to have it jumped, work the cables in my trunk. Well I can bit get into my trunk without power.

As it worked out the flaw didn't actually affect me as the battery had past its life span, but still seems strange. There is no keyed entry into the trunk.

Plus I should have been smart enough to have the cables in the garage anyhow. Maybe my brain has the design flaw.

"It's not a design flaw, it's an undocumented feature!"
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
What I think is really interesting are the cars that have a trunk release inside the trunk. Like, let's protect people who are kidnapped and stuffed inside the trunk.

As far as modern cars, yeah, tech has passed me by too. My first car was a new 1970 VW Super Beetle. Everything was right there. Changing the oil took a minute. Once my fan belt broke just as I was exiting a rest area on the freeway. I pulled over, got my spare out of the trunk, and changed it in less than five minutes. And I wasn't even all that interested in cars.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2016, George Ledo wrote:
What I think is really interesting are the cars that have a trunk release inside the trunk. Like, let's protect people who are kidnapped and stuffed inside the trunk.

More like let's have a way for kids to escape who get locked in a trunk playing around.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:

I read on a Mustang afficianado / owners forum that the 2010 models have a trunk release in the passenger side glove compartment. Is that not the case? Of course if you were completely locked out that would not be much help.

I think it is a huge mistake they are going electronic in so many ways (not just cars). I mean, totally electronic with insufficient back-ups / workarounds. Everything on computers, barely any written records. One day a massive solar flare is going to kill our power grid and electronics. And it will be dark ages for months or years. Hopefully not in my lifetime anyway.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I can be an idiot but I don't see one.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I think that's what I read, the console.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is an electronic release near my shifter. Right near the traction control and hazard lights.

I am not a complete moron. I have used that button before. The issue is it can not be used without electricity.

It is not going to work when the battery is completely dead.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Ahh, I wasnt sure if it was electric or manual button. It was worth a shot!
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Right, I figured you'd need the battery for that one, which is why I didn't mention it sooner. Far as I've read the one balducci was referring to was an electronic one as well, on different year mustangs.

I agree, balducci, I think there's way too much reliance on tech these days. People don't even seem to realize the skills they could learn on their own that wouldn't leave them dependent on buying from someone else. There's so much you can do.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
A keyed trunk should be standard imo. It's not visually unappealing, but I guess it's not "hi tech"!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2016, magicalaurie wrote:
Right, I figured you'd need the battery for that one, which is why I didn't mention it sooner. Far as I've read the one balducci was referring to was an electronic one as well, on different year mustangs.

I agree, balducci, I think there's way too much reliance on tech these days. People don't even seem to realize the skills they could learn on their own that wouldn't leave them dependent on buying from someone else. There's so much you can do.

ABSOLUTELY!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I am calling it a design flaw. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL