We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » New Member (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Richard tay
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Richard tay
Hi all,Im Richard from Singapore.Have been hook into magic as a hobby since 1 and a half years ago.Have been spending quite a bit on most of the supplies at penguin magic,vanishing inc.I gets to performed last year at a company dinner and amused colleagues and relatives with all the self taught Dvds,gimmicks and downloads (though not too confident at times). I hope to improve myself and are searching to hear tips and sound advice from magicians.By God grace I found this site.Hope to hear from you soon. Cheers.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Richard tay,

Self taught used to mean a Magician who learned Magic with out the benefit of the company or advice of other Magicians, (like Lennart Green's early experience) perhaps with some books.

Now it seems to mean, on your own with DVDs and downloads of some of the most famous Magicians in the world to teach you. Magic has come a long way!

It sounds like your first show went well (which is not always the case) so CONGRATULATIONS! Confidence will come with experience and careful assessment after each performance to see how it could have gone better.

Keep a journal of your progress with occasional dates to keep track of your progress.

Have fun!

-Mary Mowder
Akmal Magication
View Profile
New user
Brunei
76 Posts

Profile of Akmal Magication
Hi Richard Tay, welcome to the Café.. have you been a member of SAM or IBM in Singapore? I'm Akmal from Brunei btw.. i'l be attending the IBM Ring 115 meeting on 15th/April/2016 in Singapore..
"Imagination & Knowledge is a tools for creativity"
Richard tay
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Richard tay
Thanks.Mary for the advice and encouragement. To me,the last show didn't went on too well ( although few colleagues have complimented me) I'm too eager to perform that I went straight into the act with 5 routines without sufficient practice (3 hrs max) after receiving my gimmicks for the'Ring,watch and wallet'act.my gimmick watch snap,bottom part of table (floating routine) broke during rehearsel!Luckily,I am able to hold on all the act including; color change of T-shirt,coke can restore without others noticing it.except Some have seen the W,R & wallet flash into my jacket at certain angle. It was a mixed feeling.on one hand,I have managed to perform in front of 150 people on a very small stage.on the other,I gets very disappointed and embarrased with myself for not praticing enough with all fine details that resulted all the incidents.During that night I even thought of giving up this hobby! Which I didn't. My problem seems always wanted to know a next trick but will give up to the next after I bought (without putting much pratice).I just bought some stuff from Jay Scott Berry via his email recently.Sigh..Hope to get some input and advice from you. Hi Akmal, no. I'm not part of SAM or IBM in Singapore. Enjoy yourself while you're here. Cheers.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
One piece of advice I can give is to focus on one or two tricks at a time and don't move on to the next project till you are proficient at those. You don't have to be perfect at them but you need to be good enough to perform them for lay people. Other wise you'll end up just hopping from one project to the other with out ever doing anything well, which is terrible for you and for Magic.

Don't buy anymore Tricks for a while and you'll save money too.

-Mary Mowder
Charming Cheat
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Charming Cheat
Hi richard, I completely agree with Mary Mowder. Focus on each and every slieght and not all. I feel very happy about your success in magic. By God's grace, you shall rise more in magic
Charming Cheat
Not that youtuber.
Richard tay
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Richard tay
Yes. Thanks for all the advice folks.I really need to control myself not to be tempted by new tricks and trailers again (most products can be quite a disappoinment, as here in Singapore doesn't have the same kind of paper currency and sizes.We aren't allowed to make local gimmick coins or draw on our notes,even our matches are different from the states book matches.This already rules out most tricks like bills,coins and matches (which I love) that designs for it. May I ask your opinion,
Btw, I discover that majority of tricks comes from cards (which I holds no interest).I love Magic that is visual, what kind of Magic you think I should focus on? Based What kind of sleight of hands that I must definately needs to know and learn? Do you think One can excell whithout registering for magic courses? Thanks
Richard tay
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Richard tay
Hi all, this is Richard from Singapore. I am a amatuer in magic.Recently, I was asked by my company to perform to a group of patients (20-30)in a hospice. Duration is abt 10-15mins(max). I knew that that most of the patients have only a few months more to live. I am looking for suggestions and routines which may be most suitable for these people.
Richard tay
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Richard tay
Hi all, this is Richard from Singapore. I am a amatuer in magic.Recently, I was asked by my company to perform to a group of patients (20-30)in a hospice. Duration is abt 10-15mins(max). I knew that that most of the patients have only a few months more to live. I am looking for suggestions and routines which may be most suitable for these people.
CrossMagic
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of CrossMagic
Welcome! Nice to hear about your experiences so far.

Regards,

Cross
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Are you talking about Stand-Up Magic or Close-Up?

Other than just checking for sensitive content (like a mental effect that predicts a bright future or a death spot routine etc...) these people just want to be entertained and have as good a time as they can. Keep it light and fun.

Sometimes they have attention problems because they are weak and/or on pain meds. Be super sensitive not to overstay their stamina or interest if you are doing Close-Up..

Best of luck.

-Mary Mowder
Richard tay
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Richard tay
Thanks.Mary for your advice.I did a few basic tricks today that's visual: vanishing hangkerchief,sugar,coin thru bottle and ending with a Goldfish production.inviting them to participate adds on fun.Yes.They just want to be entertain and have a good time.The only setback was, my item was changed suddenly
Richard tay
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Richard tay
My item was changed from the last to the first in a last minute notice! Leaving me unprepared and nervous.my hands were
also trembling. Luckily, it ended up ok.Just like to know(with your experience) how would you cope with such situation?
Richard tay
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Richard tay
Dear Magicians, can anyone guide me to a link or store that sells the trick where a cell phone penetrates to glass bottle?
Greatly appreciated.

Richard
Singapore.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I could, but, I wont!

I just read down your thread. You began almost a year ago, and in every post you've made, you've described various problems because of not enough practice, and I suppose, not near enough time to plan a presentation.

From reading your posts, you buy PROP(S)and/or SECRET(S). --YOU CANNOT BUY TRICKS!!! A TRICK only exists while it is being PERFORMED! You think that you are doing MAGIC. MAGIC only exists in the mind(s) of the spectator(s)!

You can buy PROP(S) and/or SECRET(S) that you can use to PERFORM a TRICK. IF you have PRESENTED the TRICK, well, you may (possibly) have ENTERTAINED the spectator(s) and, if they have been entertained, the MAGIC MAY HAVE HAPPENED. The MAGIC only happens in the mind(s) of the spectator(s)!!!

So! >>> MAGIC IS NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING! <<<

MAGIC involves 5% sleight of hand skills, 5% sensory illusion, 5% esoteric principles of science, and >>>85% PSYCHOLOGY<<<!

The "rule of three" is a basic "procedure" for adding a TRICK to one's repertoire:

1. Learn how the trick is DONE.

2. Learn how to DO it.

3. Learn how to DO it, so that it ENTERTAINS AN AUDIENCE. (THAT'S the difficult part!)

Here's a thought from S. H. SHARPE, written many years ago, but, you need to understand it! (Sharpe was not a great performer, but, he DID KNOW the FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES!) "Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks, are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."

Dariel Fitzkee, an eminently well qualified performer, put it this way, in his, "The Trick Brain" (pp 308-309)back in the early 1940's: "I must insist that tricks are but tools. This eagerness to add new tricks to the workshop, at the expense of learning how to use the tools we already possess, definitely results in overcrowded workshops, but unskilled artisans."''

Quit trying to BUY TRICKS, and.or MAGIC!!!!! There "aint" no easy way to become a magician!!!!!

If you're serious about becoming a magician, you must READ! Start with TARBELL!I've given you just a few of the fundamental principles.

I've been performing for $$$ for 70 years. I'm comfortably retired for about ten years.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Richard tay
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Richard tay
Dear Dick,
Thank you for your valuable advice.I am just a hobbyist and not a proffesional. Pardon me for the eagerness to learn and perform. I do take magic seriously and would want to learn more. In your professional experience, do you think one would able to excell in just learning magic,sleight of hand,Routines and
Richard tay
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Richard tay
Management of props by Dvd and video tutorial alone? I have tried to learn basics like classic palm and pinky break for quite a while without much success.Yes.I am returning to basics now (thanks for all the advices given)Is it possible that some would just not make it? Eagerly waiting for your advices.

Humbly yours.
Richard
Singapore.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » New Member (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL