The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Hen Fetsch's "Squaround" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I looked at the places that tend to have instruction sheet collections available, but haven't found this one. Magician and volunteer both fold a square sheet of paper and both make the same cuts - the volunteer opens up their paper and has a square frame and a square piece, while the magician has a square frame, but their cut-out piece is a circle. Does anyone have the instructions for this? Thanks!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21950 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Never seen a "you do as I do routine for it", here is Ken Brooke's Squircle as sold by Harry Staney and Louis Tannen's years ago.

https://tricksupply.com/product/squircle-ken-brooke/

It might be in the book Fetsching Magic by Robert Spencer, I have the book but it is put away right now, so I cannot check if your newspaper thing is in it, but I don't remember reading it.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S8884
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Bill - thanks - I do have Squircle (always loved that one), but Fetsching Magic sounds like a good place to look for this, so thanks for that idea. I think the trick was marketed by Gene Gordon.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21950 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, Gene Gordon marketed and sold most if not all of Hen Fetsch's magic. Another place to look is the out of print book by Gene Gordon, David Ginn published it, but has never done a 2nd printing.

drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I do have the Ginn "Magical Legacy" right in front of me Smile Didn't seem to be in that one. But there's a lot of other good material and lots of good stories in it.
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
If you use the Sqircle Gimmick and the spectator does not, doesn't that produce the same or similar effect?
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21950 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Wasn't there a patter book of Hen Fetsch ideas or was that someone else.

drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I believe you could hand out both the Squaround papers while I know you can't with the Squircle since I do that one. I don't remember the Hen Fetsch patter book, though I do have "Lots of Lawson" which is the same idea.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21950 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have Lot's of Lawton scanned in PDF format, through the book out after I scanned it; on page 18 it has your similar idea. No real patter, as is mentioned. You could use the patter on page 3, and include the spectator, and say, He got an A.

For what you want, I believe it is in the original instructions at the bottom of the instruction sheet, that is opening the cut out and get a different shape. I don't see how you can give a gimmicked sheet to a spectator, unless he is in on it and knows what to do.

If I read you initial post correctly, I don't see how you can have the spectator cut a circle and get a square when he opens it.

I think he other book was called Funny Stuff or something like that. If the foot lockers did not weight a hundred pounds, I could get it out more quickly. Maybe it was Frank Lane, been a while since I read it.

drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
That's correct, the spectator cuts a square and gets a square and it's the magician who gets the circle. Let's take a look at Lawton... Ah, there's the Squircle idea. I did see a photo of the actual Squaround and it's a totally different set-up for the magician's sheet, which I tried working out myself. That being said, this does get the same result. The Squaround was on the big auction site recently and I should've bid on it, but didn't. I like having the actual tricks/directions, so that's why I'm looking for this specific one even though there are definitely other methods like Squircle for achieving the same thing.

Hope you're having a nice Spring, Bill, and as always, I really appreciate your info!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21950 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
In the Squricle instructions, the additional tips, it says you can do a square to circle if you like.

I just don't know, because this was before my time. I did not discover the local magic store until 1958, and this trick is much older then that time frame, besides the local magic dealer would not carry or sell a trick like this, because he could not just pick it up and demonstrate it.

I never heard of Squaround, maybe because I wasn't born yet. Smile There was a dice trick by Supreme Magic that when the magician pounded a tube into the top of a box that contained the jumbo die, the box clifted and then the tube, showing a round die, that just fit in the can.

I to like to get "original" information on a trick. If I had wanted and seen that, I would have bid until I got it. That's just me though.

Sorry, I could not help further.

drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Bill - you certainly helped a lot, and I appreciate it.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
SQUIRCLE has been mistakenly credited to Ken Brooke, is actually KEN BOWELL'S.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1589 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Harry Stanley advertised it in his catalogue in the 1950s,and I think It was called (Squarcle) invented by Ken Bowell.
Tricky Ricky
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Squircle is great and a lot of fun, but is a different trick. It's Squaround that I'm trying to find Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21950 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Okay, Tannen's got it wrong by accident or on purpose, or maybe he printer messed it up.

You can't believe everything you read. Smile

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21950 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dr, Hachenbush, while looking for something else, I ran across this effect by Devin Knight, it reads exactly like what you have described.

I is called, Around the Square. I suppose Devin Knight found the original and re-released it.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11504

Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Dr, Hachenbush, while looking for something else, I ran across this effect by Devin Knight, it reads exactly like what you have described.

I is called, Around the Square. I suppose Devin Knight found the original and re-released it.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11504

No my method is different from the original method. It doesn't have the angle problems the original had.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21950 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
[b]I would like to set the record straight, I just was watching the DVD Visions of Ken Brooke, in it "Squircle" is demonstrated. Pat Page narrates the videos. He states that Squircle is Ken Brookes trick.

There was another "Cut and Restored Newspaper" trick using a knife to cut around a newspaper folded in fourths. Pat Page states this was a Ken Bowell effect. So, I would say that Pat Page is correct.

Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8340 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I enjoyed reading down this thread! I could "see" this trick playing very well in school shows (here comes the BUT!)::: I think it would have required half the weekend, prepping enough props for the following week!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Hen Fetsch's "Squaround" (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL