The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » On covering up slights with un-natural movements (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
This point, made by both Mr. Schneider and funsway is part of what I call "the launching pad". This is the point where the audience begins the journey. It is critical if you wish them to know where they are going that they know where they begin. The launching pad is the baseline of the trick. Like most any other game, people are usually willing to play, but they are most receptive when the know and understand the "rules". What might be incongruent in any other scenario, can become quite normal and natural, given the proper set-up and justification. Something is only unnatural or abnormal when seen out of context to what is expected and assumed.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
I think your idea of the launching pad is accurate. I believe many magicians do not understand the importance of this. The common comment is "I want to surprise them." Single coin routines suffer from this. These guys stand before you and start waving their hands. One would think them daft. Then there is suddenly a coin there. Well, the spectator gets the idea the coin was hidden with all that hand waving. Then something happens without a clue what is going to happen. The spec is left in the dust. In the end the spec celebrates a classy juggling act and the magician claims the spec had no clue what happened. The guy is right.
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1001 Posts

Profile of Ado
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2016, Nate The Magician wrote:
We all do it- that one really odd action to cover up that one slight. [...] do you/ how do you go about trying to rectify such bad habits & attempt to make your movements look more like an actual human being is doing them

I stop doing the move. Lots of moves suck. If I can't find a replacement for the move, I find a replacement for the trick.
Godd tricks are scarce, but they exist. You just have to be critical enough to select them.

That reminds me of a DVD I got on coin matrix: http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......_id=2315
After watching Al's version, I just couldn't help wondering "why would anyone do the other versions? They're all inferior in many aspects!".
If I were to do the matrix, rather than find a way to cover up a slight, I'd do Al's version...

P!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Please note that a "slight" and a "sleight" are two different things. The movements discussed in this thread are "sleights" not "slights," Erdnase's inconsistencies notwithstanding.

Read the following thread -- the second post has the information necessary.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=171

Remember -- words have meaning. If you don't even take the trouble to understand the meaning and correct spellings of the terms relevant to our art, how much respect do you really have for it?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I personally have my own take on this, which the word "personally" would imply without need of adding "my own". I could have cleaned it up, but instead I chose to do... this.
Way more letters. I'm cool like that.

Where were I? Oh. Magic is rarely doing things that are desirable, you make balls appear under cups that you did not put them under? You put a card in a deck and it doesn't stay there? You have a coin in one hand, and now it is another. Even the miser's Dream doesn't end with hundreds of coins. Unless that's how you start it, in which case, you are working too hard.
3 card Monte, and Shell Game don't end with the apropos poor (Literally), angry, and confused person in a magic show.
Cut and restored rope? When I cut a rope I want it to STAY CUT.

If you find you have some really weird, unnatural movement or behavior that outside of the really weird, unnatural things you are doing seems too weird, and unnatural... Do something else.

Gotta keep it real!
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » On covering up slights with un-natural movements (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL