The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Does anyone use a close up case? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Hi, I'm thinking about buying a close up case. just wondering if any of you table hoppers use them, and if so how?

what sort of tricks do you keep in there? do you take the case around with you?

just general questions abot your case I'm interested in. I am a table hopper, and I can't imagine myself taking a case to each table, opening it up, taking the tricks out.....my act is just me, with a pack of cards. hold on while we're here, could I borrow our cigarette? etc etc

advice and your thoughts on cases would be welcome!
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
For table hopping, a closeup case would not be great (unless it is small or something).

I made my own closeup case by purchasing a very nice metallic toolbox, and implanted plenty of pockets and holders for my magic. It saved me tons of money and now I have a unique and great closeup case.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Mr Amazeo
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazeo
I guess it depends on your performance style, but I'm not sure how it would work. Every table I walk up to is already pretty cluttered, and a lot of times I'm reluctant to put anything down other than a pen or a card or something.

One thing that I have used is a small fanny pack for carrying some of the extra special effects or when I'm strolling at a festival or outdoor event. But in the restaurant I mostly work light.

Not to say if it works for you not to try it. Good luck.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Brad Burt uses a doctor's bag on a stand.

I use a black fanny pack even when I wear a suit.
If the event is more formal, I wear it on the back, otherwise I wear it right out in front.

I am trying to reduce what's in it.

I tend to pack too much (just in case) and just keep using the same stuff all the time.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have a "Holster" similar to those used for pistols, but carries cards, and props... got it in Europe years ago as a gift from Fred Kaps (who used one).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I am not big into the whole fanny pack thing (maybe because I didn't like them in the 80's and I still don't.

I would suggest getting something with plenty of pocket space. Cargo pants are wonderful and you could always so some more pockets into your suit.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
I'll try go make myself clear, but I'll go into some unknown vocabulary zone of English.

A nice "in-between" solution is to get a kind of wallet/bag/fanny-pack (a little holder wich can contain a few props and decks of card) that you pass around your belt. You do not have to pass the belt into one or two little "belt-loop" of your trousers. So, you can carry the bag more on the rear (unseen if wearing a suit) and you can slide it to the side in order to put some stuff in or out of it.
When I use this, I usually combine it with pocket management. I don't use it during my acts, but in-between, in order to renew my pocket's content, and s.o.
They are VERY cheap.
David Stone gave me the idea... and sold me the model he uses. He sold it to me quite cheap, so I guess that the original price is much much cheaper! Smile

Jonthan.
Jay Hagley
View Profile
New user
Jacksonville, FL
16 Posts

Profile of Jay Hagley
I don't know if people like me have just been avoiding this post, but I use all four pants pockets, one shirt pocket, and the 6 pockets in my jacket to carry everything for my bar/tablehopping jobs. I don't like any sort of extra clutter personally
David Blaine is on TV. I'm here doing a trick for you. Now shut up and watch.
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
In general, I try to work out of my pockets. I even have a carabiner clip that cilps my Ninja Rings to the back of my suspenders, which frees up a coat pocket. The average man's suit jacket and trousers have more than enough pockets for more than enough items to do three hours of strolling in most venues.

I DO use a small train case, but only for extra items, new things I'm working on, some special-occasion tricks and spares for things that might get damaged, lost or used up in the course of the evening. At the end of the night, everything fits back into the case.

But I don't carry this case with me. It lives in a small out-of-the-way cubbyhole behind the bar, or near a waiter's station, so I can get to it, but have no fear that anyone will steal it or tamper with it.

Most magicians carry too much stuff! It's better to get a copy of Lorayne's "Reputation Makers" or "The Magic Book" or Cummins' "From A Shuffled Deck In Use" and learn ten tricks you can do with a regular deck than to carry ten trick decks or packet tricks.

We know too many tricks already! Smile
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
A good, professional photographer's carry-bag is a great asset. The semi-soft-sided ones actually have moveable interior walls to help you keep things in place, external film holders that will fit a couple of decks of cards, each, and are designed to be handled roughly.

I've used one for years and, while expensive (a good one can run to over $150 US), they wear like iron, are washable and, with the ability to move the walls inside, incredibly versatile.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I use a large make up bag. I don't carry it around to the tables but I do hide it in the host stand . Like Lee said mine is water proof and even has elastic straps. I assume to hold lip stick and the sort but it holds TT and all that stuff. I got it at target for like $20.00
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
I'm not help for much in the way of suggestions here because my Renaissance Character ( that is even asked for to work in restaurant and formal events) has a belt consisting of four big leather bags and a cloth shoulder bag. Often, I may not even have all of the bags containing anything, but keep them there just for the costume's sake.

-Daniel GreenWolf
The Bag-Lady in Disguise
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
eric6
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of eric6
I don't recommand to stroll with any kind of bag for one reason : one time or another you'll fall on the "funny guy" who will "steal","hide" your case just to tell you he made it to disappear AHAHAH... It's no fun to run after your props and it doesn't look professional. So work from your pockets. For those who think that this can't happen in the good society, you may have to wait longer but it will happen anyway. A friend of mine works in the jetset most often and this happened to him 1 month ago after years without problems.
Eric
T.House
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of T.House
I used to use a physician's bag, though not the large one sold by Brad Burt. I purchased mine at a leather shop. It was mainly used to carry a brass bowl for Don Alan's Bowl routine, and a chop mug. I keep my Ninja Rings in a cloth pouch which is tucked in the waistband at the back of my pants, under my coat.

I no longer use the doctor's bag for table-side or strolling magic, though do use it to carry items for other close-up events in which I am rather stationary, behind a table.

For table-side magic, I have down-sized some things, such as using a miniature chop cup with two golf balls as the final loads.
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
Hi Flec,

I tend to use a case but in a different way to most people who use one. I don't think it is a good idea to carry it to the table but I don't think it is neccessary to arrive at the venue with pockets all loaded up. I take all the props in a case and then find a secure place such as the office of the owner (get permission first obviously) then I load my pockets and off I go, occasionally going back to the case between tables if I need to reload anything then pack the case at the end and leave.

What are your thoughts on this?

Hope this helps,
TM
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I use a leather doctors bag to carry my props but I don't carry it from table to table. It also has a combo lock so that people cannot get into it.

Using only pockets is not always practical.
Especially if you do cups and balls and the like.

I like to use a leather "fanny pack" for lack of a better term. It is nicer and smaller than a typical fanny pack so it's not gawdy even when dressed up.
My cups and balls fit in it as well as other things and it frees up my pockets for sponge balls, etc,..
Daniel Faith
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Wow- good question.

'eh I used to use a big huge wooden case. Still have it and use it when I go to some big huge event. Then I bought this really small kind of case that was maroon color for the Hilton Hotel- when I worked there. That was good for there. It worked perfectly. However now I'm getting used to having everything on my person. I still have cases- and use them on occasion. But I'm learning more and more ways to cut down on the amount of things I need to carry- and still perform extraordinary miracles for restaurants and hotels.

-Also- usually when I approach a table in a hotel restaurant; most of the people think I'm selling something (like tea bags from my case!) Since waiters go around selling wines. So I try and limit the bigger objects such as a case to avoid getting turned down by a table who thought I was soliciting.

Talk to you later,
Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
illuzns
View Profile
Regular user
My Room in Va.
104 Posts

Profile of illuzns
Flec-
I do strolling magic and have never really used a Case for table hopping in the restaurant I perform in, but I do use a Scotty York close up case that doubles as a table when I perform at the door. I usually use this only when I have long lines at the door and the management wants me to "Work the door".Because of the way that the front foyer is designed it would be difficult otherwise. This way I am able to do a small stand up type act while people are passing by and am able to do those tricks that are more effective on a table surface. Any other table that is larger would probably be "In the way" in this smaller performing area.The table I use was purchased from Al Cohen (Al's Magic Shop in DC) many years ago, but I'm sure that they must be still available somewhere out there.I also use it when I do private shows and my street shows as well.It's Very Compact and has plenty of storage space. But I will have to agree with Mr.Henning and the others that typically it's not necessary for table hopping as I usually work from my pockets and bring a small closeup pad to the table. Hope this helps...
Your friend in magic,
Illuzns
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
I have a really nice semi-soft-sided leather briefcase that opens from the top (handle) area. It is ALWAYS with me in my van - it has my phone, voice recorder, contact information to have a mobile "office", promotional materials and business cards, and the other pockets have plenty of room for any magic stuff you'd ever want with you. Cards, coins, knives, a fake mouse or two, a fake tongue or two. It's really really handy.

I got the following idea from a Lee Iben, also from here in Iowa: When working summertime outdoor venues, it is impractical to wear a coat.

I have a vaiter's apron, for when working festivals in the food-serve area. I usually wear black and white, sometimes with a tie, and it doesn't look odd at all. There's a few seperate pockets, for ropes, a couple different decks of cards, and still have trouser pockets free for coins, etc.

Anybody else do this?
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
Tspall
View Profile
Regular user
Lumberton, NC
147 Posts

Profile of Tspall
I have a fanny pack that I use for walkaround. It's small enough that it doesn't get in the way of movement, but big enough that I can hold a surprising amount of stuff. Otherwise, I use my pockets as much as possible. I'm not usually in a position where a case is needed or practical for anything except storage.
Tony
"It's showtime!!"
My magic blog:
http://ahora_mismo.blogspot.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Does anyone use a close up case? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL