The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Does anyone use a close up case? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
think4
View Profile
New user
FL
5 Posts

Profile of think4
My personal opinion: No way!! Always work out of your pockets. If you suck at topiting, use your topit as a big pocket. Normally all I carry around is a regular deck of cards, 3 half dollers, and my Card to Wallet. I would never use a case.
If you were to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
Update:
I was working a strolling gig over the weekend with two other magi, and one of them brought a suitcase table! I was stunned, but then he showed me how he uses it in a banquet situation (not at restaurants). He has two people slide their chairs slightly apart and then pushes the suitcase table right up to the banquet table. The height is ideal, everyone can see, and he can do nearly anything he wants.

I have been so programmed to think "pockets only" that I had not thought of this. Now this won't work in many situations, especially when you have the "sardine syndrome" of 10-12 people per round table (as was the case in this gig). But it is an intriguing idea, and worth considering.
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
One of the first close up magicians I ever saw was John Mendoza. He was performing at a local restaurant and he had a case that he pulled behind him through the restaurant. When he got to a table, he used it as a chair/stool so he could sit with the group (Illinois magicians tend to sit with the customers rather than stand). Meanwhile, everything he needed was right under him.

It may have been a smaller version of the suitcase table. That was a long time ago and I'm lucky I can remember who it was.
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Hey Jon,

It could be a midwest thing. I prefer to sit as well. However, I don't carry my own chair around, so if there's an empty seat at the table I'll ask if I can use it. Either that, or borrow a lap.

Speaking of being lucky to remember the name, I remember you saying you were having problems remembering where your shoes are. Good luck with that!
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
gregor
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of gregor
I do use a closeup case,it is on a eureka base a tripod kinda thing,it houses decks ,trick decks, gaffed coins and other closeup props,
when I see a tight spot I will grab stuff for my pockets do the table and go back to my case when done,
fanny packs would not look good with a suit or tux as I often wear
nor would I be seen wearing one to begin with.
they were out of style the moment they came in.
procy
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of procy
I carry a camera case, made for a camcorder I believe was several years ago when I first bought it!! I don't carry it around for table hopping, I usually find a quiet corner to leave it. Take out what I need and go back to reset or top up from it. It is useful because ou can carry spares of your fav items and being a small material case it is easily stowed away.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I can sum it up in two words: "Pocket Management".

There have been many clever suggestions in this thread, but I really prefer working out of my pockets. I put a great deal of thought into pocket management. In fact, I have a "gig sheet" with the "tricks" on the left column, and the pockets on the right column. Okay, I'm a little obsessive sometimes, but I like to organize things down on paper. this format is great becuase It makes me think about where things go.

It makes for a smoother evening when I'm not fishing around in pockets. I like to keep my silks in a free pocket, as more than once before when I go for one thing an errent silk comes out along with it.

I keep all my coin effects in little snap purses I can feel. I can just grab my coins across, gadabout coins, Ultimate 3-fly, etc all by feel.

When I plan things out on my "gig sheet", I can identify awkward problems ahead of time. One other bonus, is the "gig sheet" also serves as a checklist that reminds me to pack everything in need... for example, I don't run off with my flash paper without my lighter...
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Alan Gold
View Profile
Regular user
Key West, FL
149 Posts

Profile of Alan Gold
Pockets only is a great idea, but not only feasible. For example, those of us who work in warmer climes do not usually wear a suit jacket. (I know I never do!) I do dress extraordinarily nicely (better than any of the managers, I'll tell you that) in pants, shirt and tie, and will use a fanny pack as well (mine is black leather, and is relatively nice). Does it look a bit odd? Yes. But then, I am doing magic for a living while these people eat their salmon. This is not odd? Anyway, the fanny pack thing has worked for me. I only use it at the restaurant though. When I am out and about, I just work out of my (pants) pockets, and can usually do enough with cards to get by like that.

I DO have a case, a nice black leather attache type case (finally replaced my beaten up tan leather satchel) that holds my fanny pack, some other props I put into my pants pockets when I get to the restaurant, my keys, my sunglasses, my contact lens rewetting drops, books, etc. But I would never think to bring that table to table! No, when I get to the restaurant, I get what I need out of it, and put it in the employee's bathroom. No one has ever taken anything from it, and since the only thing of true value I keep in it are my keys, and I would notice someone making off with my truck, I am not all that worried about it. I am very organized since getting this, and also keep spare props in it in case (for instance) I tear up a card or give away a deck to a lucky kid. Or in case my Sharpie goes dry. You get the idea.

:-)

Alan
Remember: Al G. is just another way to say pond scum.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Normally, I bring a case to the gig which I leave in a secure area. My car, if nothing else is available. It holds replacement props and expandable show props.

I have made a small flat box with a drawer that I can take from table to table, but most of the time there isn't room. I usually work out of my pockets. I am also now carrying a leather Dice/Chop cup from Frank Starsini. I put a deck of cards, purse, and wand into it and it keeps my props clean and I can do dice stacking or a chop cup routine when I want. I am now also learning Curtis Kams coins to goblet routine.

I was planning on doing cups and balls, but have decided to save that routine for the booked private gigs. Chop cup is adaquate and uses less room. I have many tricks that get great response, so I use some for the private parties and some for the restaurant. That way those that hire me, see different magic.

It only takes three pockets to entertain for an hour, so I am more than covered for the 2-5 minutes at a table.

For my Renn Faire work I use a table that I carry and use for crowd control, but work out of pouches. I have three and they have dividers and inner pockets to keep me organized.

Kirkg
Gilmore
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Gilmore
Quote:
On 2004-03-11 01:57, Pete Biro wrote:
I have a "Holster" similar to those used for pistols, but carries cards, and props... got it in Europe years ago as a gift from Fred Kaps (who used one).

May I assume that you are refering to the "shoulder holster" type holder?

Gilmore
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I think most agree that table hopping should use your pockets. I also have some special dividers with pockets to hold small items so I can find them easily.

A close up case is used to mainly take your props to the venue. I use a nick hire stylist case that has a handle on the top center. I also got a briefcase that converts to a platform if I have trade shows or cocktail parties while standing. This, placed on a table, will bring the working surface to the correct height.

Harry Monti out of St. Louis area made a close up stool on wheels that had 2 drawers and a leather seat so the performer could sit at a table in-between the patrons and perform any close up trick. The box stool had a handle on top so it could be carried. John Mendoza used it at his lectures and in real performing dates. This let you even do lapping while at a resturant.

A performer named Jan once in the 1970's discribed his case with seat and wheels in Genii Magazine. His had several small drawers and a tape recorder for music while peforming. This permitted him do the most complicated of tricks that had to be set up a certain way to start the trick.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
CONS OF BAGS and CASES AT TABLES
1) You could end up filling it up with tons of tricks you don't need. I have about 15 tricks I do regularly and ALL fit in my pickets

2) They can be a hazard if put on the table (near food and drinks!) or on the floor (tripping lawsuit anyone?).

3) They often require set up. i.e. "Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen I am your magician for this evening and in ten minutes, once I have set up this table and moved you around abit, I might do some magic..."

4)People can move them, steal them or knock them over messing up your order whilst I, personally, am rarely moved, stolen or knocked over.

PROS OF BAGS AND CASES

1) You LOOK like a magician. The mystery of what's in the box peeks interest.

2) You can do bigger tricks. Cups and Balls etc. are easy to do or NOT do at multiple tables.

3) You can SEE all of your tricks straight away.

*A short note on fanny packs/ bum bags.

Perhaps Americans have different ideas of style but I have never seen a fanny pack I would use as a magician. I am a man of mystery and intrigue not a bus conductor. The day I use a fanny pack for magic is the same day I wear socks with sandals! Smile
Alan Gold
View Profile
Regular user
Key West, FL
149 Posts

Profile of Alan Gold
Nicholas, to each their own, but if one does not wear a jacket, where exactly would you propose that one puts all their tricks? I COULD work out of just my pants pockets, but I would not have all the tricks I prefer to have. Not trying to be argumentative, just wondering.

:)

Alan
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Me neither!

But you've got to admit, being argumentative is so much FUN! Smile

As a professional performer I look at a combination of factors such as:-

- Character
- Costume
- Audience Expectations
- Practicality.

There are PLENTY of GREAT tricks that I don't do because the don't suit my style or my costume (suit with open neck shirt). Being a professional performer is a case of give and take and comprimise when it comes to effect choice. Personally, I HATE depending on bulking props (I could get by with a deck of cards, a shoe lace and some elastic bands).

I could imagine that a 'fanny pack' could be worn on the side IF it was designed to look like an extra pocket or something a little different from those tacky tourist ones!

Magicians are geeky enough without adding FANNY PACKS! Smile
shane_delon
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of shane_delon
I'm a pocket person. I do carry a close-up pad - if you want a discussion about this look at the other thread - but anything that doesn't fit in my pockets is too much.

That said, I will sometimes bring different things. If you have a safe place in the restaurant where you keep your "stuff" you could take a bag with you and swap things out for repeat customers, etc. Otherwise I'd think the various options could be a bit awkward or out of fashion for some people.

Working out of your pockets is safe, but if your in a pokadot clown outfit or something maybe a pokadot bag wouldn't look so bad?

sd
Alan Gold
View Profile
Regular user
Key West, FL
149 Posts

Profile of Alan Gold
Fine, Nicholas, you think that both fanny packs AND magicians are geeky.

Personally, I find that magicians, when they do a good job, are very much not geeky, and considering the fact that between my friend Frank and I we really can't go anywhere in this town without SOMEONE saying to one or both of us, "Hey....you're the magic guy!" and NOT saying it in a derogatory manner, but in admiration, I stand by that.

Fanny packs may not be chic fashion, but I have never been a slave to fashion, and march not to my own drummer, but to my own *** orchestra. You do what you feel is not "geeky"....I will continue to amaze and astound my adoring public. (And duck those pesky restraining orders....)

Alan
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Alan,

I think that you will admit, that while there are some very cool magicians, there are even a greater number of socially challenged individuals who hide behind their magic. As such, anything we can do to raise the bar of our reputation is a good thing and anything that lowers it, is bad.

Fanny packs with suit coats = bad. Fanny packs with Hawaian shirts or clown outfits = OK

It really depends on the venue and personality of the performer. Even if you dress casually, you should be stylish and well groomed. How many times have you seen rumpled suits and scuffed shoes on a magician? Hardley builds credibility.

The reality in restaurant work is 3-5 minutes at each table. If you can't find 3-5 minutes of mind blowing magic that can fit in your pockets, then find another line of work. The next challenge is to find 3-5 minutes of mind blowing magic that not every other magician is doing, ie. CMH, card tricks.

KirkG
Alan Gold
View Profile
Regular user
Key West, FL
149 Posts

Profile of Alan Gold
Quote:
I think that you will admit, that while there are some very cool magicians, there are even a greater number of socially challenged individuals who hide behind their magic. As such, anything we can do to raise the bar of our reputation is a good thing and anything that lowers it, is bad.

Oh, without question. I do not think we disagree on this point one bit.

Quote:
Fanny packs with suit coats = bad. Fanny packs with Hawaian shirts or clown outfits = OK

This, however, is another story. Now, as I work in the tropics, and have said before, I do not wear a jacket, but I do generally dress in a shirt and tie. (And yes, pants too!) And I dress extraordinarily well when I work. (When I am off, I tend to be a shorts and t-shirt kind of guy.) But, while the fanny pack is a bit goofy, it is not horribly tacky or anything. It is black, it is leather, and it is not overly intrusive.

Again, this is not for everyone, but to say that fanny packs are just for tacky costumes is just not correct, in my view.

Quote:
If you can't find 3-5 minutes of mind blowing magic that can fit in your pockets, then find another line of work.

And this is where you and I seriously disagree. Yes, you should be able to have 3-5 minutes worth of magic...but you forget that quite often, you will have regulars come in, who want to see more than the standard stuff that you use on the other people. Don't get me wrong, I very much COULD entertain with quite a bit of material just working out of my pockets....but that would be limiting myself and eliminating quite a bit of material that I think works for me. Again, to each their own, but to summarily say that if you use a fanny pack you are tacky is just disingenuous to me.

As always, I reserve the right to be completely, horribly, and embarrassingly wrong....but in this case I don't think I am.

Alan
shane_delon
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of shane_delon
Quote:
On 2004-04-13 10:59, KirkG wrote:
Alan,

It really depends on the venue and personality of the performer. Even if you dress casually, you should be stylish and well groomed. How many times have you seen rumpled suits and scuffed shoes on a magician? Hardley builds credibility.

The reality in restaurant work is 3-5 minutes at each table. If you can't find 3-5 minutes of mind blowing magic that can fit in your pockets, then find another line of work. The next challenge is to find 3-5 minutes of mind blowing magic that not every other magician is doing, ie. CMH, card tricks.

KirkG

So are you saying I shouldn't do my hippity hop rabbits in my table-hopping routine???

Darn it....if I cut that and the Crystal Silk Cylinder, that's going to cut me down to only 30 minutes per table.

bkowkabany
View Profile
Loyal user
I have driven through the hearts of men
276 Posts

Profile of bkowkabany
I made a table/case. It has a drawer and a flange underneath to connect to a Eureka table base. I am adding feet to keep the flange clear of the table and allow visible space underneath. Works on a lot of levels.
Download our Free Magic Inventory and Show Creation software - www.mailware.com/magic

Mentalist by day. Bizzarist by night.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Does anyone use a close up case? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL