The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Free and Great Magic Books! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
There is a treasure trove of old time magicians books, prestidigitation manuals and card trick pamphlets on archive.org.
I found the following search term brought the most results.
https://archive.org/search.php?query=sub......A"texts"
Why did this link get changed by the forum? I put it in url tags! Oh well, here is the full link. ..
Code:
https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Magic%20tricks"&and[]=mediatype%3A"texts"

Or, go to http://archive.org and choose to search texts, then magic tricks into the search form.
Though you might also try putting the word 'prestidigitation' in place of 'magic tricks' which finds some more, if I remember correctly.
I'm loving having Blackstone's and other old books and learning from them. Some wonderful writings, and tricks!
Have a look and check them out. Downloads are in many formats!
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
M. Tesla
View Profile
Regular user
Coral Springs, Florida
154 Posts

Profile of M. Tesla
Fantastic assortment of old/rare magic manuscripts, many of which are very hard to find now...
While the amount of water has remained static, the amount of Tequila and Triple Sec available for making Margaritas has expanded enormously. So you see, we have made progress after all. ~Anonymous
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Exactly, Tesla II, I am amazed at the sheer variety to be found there. Today I found a book called '50 years in the Magic circle - Senor Blitz' which looks to be a very interesting autobiographical work by a working conjurer of days gone by. The stories he gained on worldly travels as well as at his homeland in the USA.
For me, these kind of books are the holy grail. Well, along with all of those tutorial books on the art of magic!
I don't care much for modern magic writings. . There's a massive lack of the element of humility today, and it is refreshing to read writings by those who understood the mere concept of humility!
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
Fazzio
View Profile
New user
brazil
12 Posts

Profile of Fazzio
Thanks! I've just started my vacations and this is will be very useful.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5116 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I found a couple decent thimble books that seem harder to come by these days. Also there is a decent scan of "Our Magic" (One of the "must reads" IMO for any magician).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
503 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2016, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I found a couple decent thimble books that seem harder to come by these days. Also there is a decent scan of "Our Magic" (One of the "must reads" IMO for any magician).

Hi Poof-Daddy, do you mean the Maskelyne-book? Thanks, Luc.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5116 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Yes
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
I'm astonished at the sheer number of different texts! I've been downloading them and have quite a collection to keep me in reading material way beyond my lifespan. Smile
Can still only read one book at a time though. It's lovely thing to sit and read something like:
THE
HISTORY OF MAGIC
INCLUDING A CLEAR AND PRECISE EXPOSITION OF ITS PROCEDURE, ITS RITES AND ITS MYSTERIES
BY ÉLIPHAS lÉVI (ALPHONSE LOUIS CONSTANT)!
:)
Quote of the Month
- S.H. Sharpe
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
I made sure to get Our Magic, thanks for the recommendation poof, it's quite an unusual magic book.
Quote of the Month
- S.H. Sharpe
cosermann
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
143 Posts

Profile of cosermann
Oh my yes. I've gotten several books from archive.org. Annemann, Hoffmann, Downs, and other classics. Definitely worth poking around a bit on there.
Regards,
Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Free and Great Magic Books! (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL