The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Close Call by Rick Lax (32 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Looks like there is a new release from Rick Lax:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6894

The description doesn't say much, but most of Rick's tricks are great. Any reviews, or at least more info about this.

Thanks in advance!
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
I know what is the Mark Eldson trick so I I think I know what this is but I will wait for the price to be dropped by penguin then I will buy it definitely
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Looks like he added a hacky joke to Mark Elsdon's effect that he does in his penguin lecture. Get Mark's penguin lecture. It's not much more expensive and there is so much more material.
jakeroeber
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of jakeroeber
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2016, Joe Roberts wrote:
Looks like he added a hacky joke to Mark Elsdon's effect that he does in his penguin lecture. Get Mark's penguin lecture. It's not much more expensive and there is so much more material.

Joe, Im sorry to say your comment sounds quite idiotic. Rick took a very small idea within Mark's lecture, had conversation WITH Mark, and was given permission to sculpt this idea into a full deceptive routine. Furthermore, Rick needed to disguise the addition, and one way to do so was with humor. So, rather than speculating, you should probably review the material, and learn the trick before putting in some sort of un-educated opinion. Lest we forget that the jokes that are labeled as "hack" are so because they are effective and everyone uses them. There's a reason certain material is used universally....because it works.
hornet
View Profile
Veteran user
Herts, England
374 Posts

Profile of hornet
The trailer is a bit limited on detail, but Mark and Rick always put out quality products!
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
This is FAAANTASTIC! I will be picking this up too after the P puts in on sale.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Excellent Rick.

You have taken a principle & made it into a very strong performance piece.

The routine itself has comedy, multiple audience participation & a very strong reveal at the end.

This is up to your usual very high standard.

No pipedreams here.

Another winner from Rick.

Mike Donoghue
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2016, mike donoghue wrote:
Excellent Rick.

You have taken a principle & made it into a very strong performance piece.

The routine itself has comedy, multiple audience participation & a very strong reveal at the end.

This is up to your usual very high standard.

No pipedreams here.

Another winner from Rick.

Mike Donoghue

Agreed. Great piece and couldn't have said it any better than Mike.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2016, Karl M wrote:
I know what is the Mark Eldson trick so I I think I know what this is but I will wait for the price to be dropped by penguin then I will buy it definitely

Karl....what have I told you about buying things....

Sleepy
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
This is a fairly good effect.Based on a
principle most mentalist will know.Rick
has disguised it in a way so as to not be
able to backtrack easily.I like it and will use
it also.
Todd
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
It's on sale today! !
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2016, jakeroeber wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2016, Joe Roberts wrote:

Joe, Im sorry to say your comment sounds quite idiotic. Rick took a very small idea within Mark's lecture, had conversation WITH Mark, and was given permission to sculpt this idea into a full deceptive routine. Furthermore, Rick needed to disguise the addition, and one way to do so was with humor. So, rather than speculating, you should probably review the material, and learn the trick before putting in some sort of un-educated opinion. Lest we forget that the jokes that are labeled as "hack" are so because they are effective and everyone uses them. There's a reason certain material is used universally....because it works.

It's odd that you say my post sounded "quite idiotic" considering Rick makes a point in the download to say he's added a hacky joke to Elsdon's trick. That's LITERALLY the word he uses.

But thank you for your post. It will give me something to point to when people ask what is wrong with magic. Arguing we should use hack lines "because they work" is just about the laziest defense of corny, pathetic magic presentations that there is.

Regarding this trick:

THE GOOD

As I said, if you don't have Elsdon's lecture, you should pick that up instead. It has most everything you need to do the effect. (That's why they don't show a full demo on Penguin. Anyone with Elsdon's lecture would be able to figure it out without any more explanation)

However if you want to explore this particular routine in more detail, I think this is definitely worth the investment at the sale price. It does prevent the backtracking that CAN happen with Elsdon's effect. There are ways to do it without the corny joke, if hacky jokes aren't your style. It's probably a stronger and more cohesive demonstration if you do it with a second phase that ISN'T that joke. So I would recommend swapping in something else.

THE BAD

It's clear based on the explanation that this is NOT a routine Rick has actually performed much. There is a situation you need to account for about 20% of the time that he doesn't mention at all. In fact the situation occurs in Rick's hypothetical demonstration of the trick at 15 minutes in and he doesn't even notice it then. But if things played out as he was actually suggesting the trick would have failed. So you'll need to account for that. At a $20 stand-alone trick, it's something that should have been addressed in the explanation.
ppw
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of ppw
There is very little information in the trailer... Is this good for a large audience?
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2016, ppw wrote:
There is very little information in the trailer... Is this good for a large audience?

You want 4 or 5 people to take part in the effect, not much more than that or you have a greater chance of it failing. The audience itself can be of any size beyond that.

Quote:
On Apr 11, 2016, Joe Roberts wrote:
So you'll need to account for that. At a $20 stand-alone trick, it's something that should have been addressed in the explanation.

My mistake. It's a $15 trick.
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"Lest we forget that the jokes that are labeled as "hack" are so because they are effective and everyone uses them."

No; most are just crappy jokes and people like you mistake fake, sympathy laughs for the real thing.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2016, Joe Roberts wrote:

It's clear based on the explanation that this is NOT a routine Rick has actually performed much. There is a situation you need to account for about 20% of the time that he doesn't mention at all. In fact the situation occurs in Rick's hypothetical demonstration of the trick at 15 minutes in and he doesn't even notice it then. But if things played out as he was actually suggesting the trick would have failed. So you'll need to account for that. At a $20 stand-alone trick, it's something that should have been addressed in the explanation.

I do not see how this could possibly fail 20% of the time.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
For the sale price it's spot on, very excited to use this.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
If you read my review posts than you know I'm a big supporter of Rick Lax's releases. However, I have several issues with "Close Call". Granted, I am not a magic/mentalism historian but the basic premise of this effect does not belong to Mark Elsdon. It is based on Bruce Bernstein's "Croisset Affair" and Ted Karmilovich's "The Target". But I have no idea which mentalist thought of it first. The only difference in Rick's presentation is the elimination of the NW work. Moreover, the "No" gag should be credited to Syd Bergson. Richard Osterlind uses this ploy to maximum effect during his Mental Epic presentation from his "Live without a Net" DVD set.

Secondly, many top mentalists close their act with "Croisset" or "Target", and so seeing this performed close-up with index cards really feels watered-down by comparison. The routine itself is okay but I'd probably would never perform it because I have been thinking about adding the "Croisset affair" to my small stage act.

Some may disagree about my feelings with this release but that's okay...we're all entitled to our own opinions.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2016, Jared wrote:
If you read my review posts than you know I'm a big supporter of Rick Lax's releases. However, I have several issues with "Close Call". Granted, I am not a magic/mentalism historian but the basic premise of this effect does not belong to Mark Elsdon. It is based on Bruce Bernstein's "Croisset Affair" and Ted Karmilovich's "The Target". But I have no idea which mentalist thought of it first. The only difference in Rick's presentation is the elimination of the NW work. Moreover, the "No" gag should be credited to Syd Bergson. Richard Osterlind uses this ploy to maximum effect during his Mental Epic presentation from his "Live without a Net" DVD set.

Secondly, many top mentalists close their act with "Croisset" or "Target", and so seeing this performed close-up with index cards really feels watered-down by comparison. The routine itself is okay but I'd probably would never perform it because I have been thinking about adding the "Croisset affair" to my small stage act.

Some may disagree about my feelings with this release but that's okay...we're all entitled to our own opinions.

I agree with you. And I find "Croisset affair" to be a much more effective way to use this method. It impacts the audience on a much greater level.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
Madison, I agree- the difference is like 'night and day'. Btw- I want to congratulate you on your excellent "Bang Chair Test" release. I wish that more creator's invested the amount of time and energy that you did to develop such a beautifully detailed routine!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Close Call by Rick Lax (32 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL