The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Ministers Party Pieces (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kah22
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of kah22
Hi everyone. I'm Kevin,I'm 35ish and I'm currently studying for the ministry.

It's pretty much power for the course that when at weddings, school functions, fund raisers and such like that the minister does his party piece. For those with a voice the choice is obvious four or five well chosen songs goes a long way, some choose to do funny type poetry, others opt out!

A few years back one of our lecturers (since deceased), a member of the magic circle, used magic tricks as his party piece, but I can't recall him ever doing mentalism

Like Jack I to have no voice - I could empty a hall in five minutes flat! As I don't have the agility to do straight conjuring, I've about three I can perform comfortably, I'm thinking of gathering together about 20 mentalist tricks, so no mater what situation I'm in I can pass myself.

Now I wouldn't be so silly as to ask you to supply me with 20 tricks. What I would ask though is that you might suggest three tricks (pm me) that would knit nicely together as a unit so I could perform where necessary. Needless to say self working ones like Magic Squares would be ideal for the immediate future. One or two suggestion for weddings would also be welcome. I've already a small library and am more than happy to do the spade work myself. It's more ideas I'm after My most recent purchase: The Full Facts Book of Cold Reading by Ian Rowland could be very useful in my line of business

I appreciate that for my first post I'm asking quite a lot but if you feel you can't fulfil the request at least guide me along a path where I might get the answer

Kevin Hart
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome kah22,

Do you currently do any Magic Kevin?

Are you looking to spread the gospel or just entertain?

Be aware that some people in your line of work do not hold Magic and especially Mentalism in high regard so be prepared to tread lightly, I.E. keep it light and entertaining and never claim special powers.

Check out the "Penny for your Thoughts" area and use the search function to find threads that may have answered a beginner's questions
before.

Have fun!

-Mary Mowder
kah22
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of kah22
Thanks Mary. I'm interested in learning about 20 tricks which if I'm at a function, a home, a school or such like as a minister, or as I am now a deacon, I can do 3or 4 as a party piece, about fifteen minutes. Needless to say in my line of business I'll not be claiming special powers - I'll leave that to the boss!!!

Yesterday I visited a school and had two young lads call out a single digit number (5 and 6) so I gave the line that the two of these together made a 'special number' and started to fill in a magic square. It was the first time I had done it cold and I must admit the children, the teacher, AND myself were truly impressed and I had their attention for the rest of my visit!. I left the class with the children begging the teacher to tell them how I could count so quickly. And he hadn't a clue!

There doesn't seem to be any great difficulty in obtaining mentalist type tricks, but it's how you might tie them together in some sort of running order that I'm asking about e.g what other two or three tricks would tie in with a magic square?

I've also had a go at the triangle inside the circle and that was well received. But it is getting small groups of three or four tricks that knit together that I'm really asking about, I really would appreciate your help. Put a few suggestions together. Give me the tricks name, a general description and I'll do the leg work.

Of course I appreciate the importance of keeping the secrets from the public so feel free to pm your suggestions. But then in my line of works keeping secrets is all important

Kevin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Ministers Party Pieces (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL