The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Girl in Little House by Devin Knight (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2320 Posts

Profile of todsky
I read it. I like it. I think I may actually use it. Thank you Grant and Knight.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2016, The great Gumbini wrote:
You know honestly I tend to agree with you. But I've learned there are reasons for why great minds say the things they do. I've been performing magic for 34 years and mentalism for about 13 years and the one simple rule I go by is if you respect the people giving advice and they know from where they speak then take their advice to heart. This is one of those times that I heed the advice of those of whom shoulders I stand on. But I know what you mean this is one I really don't see them back tracking period! And if you perform the second version...I double dog dare them to figure it out! Haha


Good magic to all,


Eric


Grant was not aware of the second method. I agree, if you use the 2nd
method you could close the show with this and no one would figure it out.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I'm glad you guys are liking this, it is a real gem and overlooked effect from the past. Smile
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1636 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
See, again I disagree that the second version would be better. I think it makes it WAY too perfect of an illusion at the wrong time. Unless you could close the screens after the illusion, it's a bad idea to use version 2 as it essentially leaves no other room for explanation other than the solution. Not the solution of how the lady went across but the solution of how they saw the lady take the house from behind the screen.

Again, I'm perfectly willing to take Devin's word that variation 2 does fool people badly if it says it does but I have my doubts. You'd have to be able to close the screens flat at the end of the illusion and THEN, version 2 would KILL.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1636 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Something you could do as a version 3 is to have a box with a pillow in it and when you hand the house to the lady behind the screen at hand level, you just drop it into the box and later crouch down to pick it up when she's inside.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1942 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Thank you Devin for clearing that up. The second method was in fact the one I thought was safe to close with. So I'm glad to see my thinking was in line with this effect. Its been on my mind a lot today. Thanks again.

Good magic to all,


Eric
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3586 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2016, Devin Knight wrote:
I'm glad you guys are liking this, it is a real gem and overlooked effect from the past. Smile



I just downloaded it and I really like it! I will definitely do this next opportunity I have.

KJ
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I wanted to explain some psychology behind the thinking. Having performed this more than a hundred times over the last 30 years, I think I am qualified to speak on this and know of what I speak.First of all the screens ARE NOT important. They are no more than the side table that holds the little house. Folding the screens flat serves no purpose. Let me explain. This is a PRIME example of running when no one is chasing you.

Secondly, if you folded the screens flat in either method, the effect would no longer fool the audience, they see the girl is gone from the left screen and they know she can't be in the little house, hence the only place she could be is behind the right screen. Part of the misdirection, is doing the silly things with the little house. This leads the audience to believe she is still behind the left screen. They have no reason to doubt that.

After, she emerges from behind the right screen, that is the effect and the trick is over. Going over then to fold the left screen flat, is anti-climatic and serves no purpose. It is showing the screen after the fact. The audience sees the volunteer from the audience go behind the left screen. A few minutes later she emerges from the RIGHT Screen! Again, that is the effect. The audience knows it is the same girl and not a twin. If you were using your own assistant, I could see where showing the screen flat would be important. But, you are not, you are using an unrehearsed girl from the audience which is part of the mystery.

Showing the left screen flat would be over proving.When magicians feel guilty, they tend to over prove. If something is really unprepared or empty, they don't feel the need to prove anything.
The trick is over, the girl has come forth from the right screen. THE SCREENS ARE NO LONGER IMPORTANT TO YOU. If you don't care about the screens, neither will the audience. They don't know the method and working, you do.

Yes, the audience remembers the illusion. They remember you put a girl from the audience into a little house. They don't remember the details, nor do they have to. They remember a girl from the audience went behind the left screen, the magician put a little house behind the screen and then moved the house to the right screen. She emerged from behind the right screen. When they think back, they don't remember the details of how the effect was performed. Just the final results.

That is why both Grant and myself said to do this as part of routine, not as a stand alone. If you go into another effect for the audience to focus on, they don't have time to worry about the fact the screens were not folded flat (not that they would think about it). Doing another trick afterwords ensures the audience remembers only the final effect and NOT THE DETAILS.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
The more I think about Eric's idea of the little house that lights up when you can't see the girl inside, the more I love it. This is easily bought. Miniature houses that light up are readily available. They are sold as decorations for miniature villages. You can find these readily available at stores that sell Christmas decorations. They use batteries and pushing a button on the bottom will make the inside of the house light up. An online search will turn up hundreds of places they can be ordered online.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1420 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
I think the light up house would be even better if you said,

"Ma'am, can you then the lights on in there?"
If you enjoy my thoughts on the cafe, please consider donating a coffee at the link.
https://ko-fi.com/madisonhagler
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1942 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Devin Im glad you love the idea. MadisonH I thought about saying something PRIOR to turning on the light too. But then I realized that would telegraph what was about to happen. That's why I went with NOT saying anything but "I can't see you" then all of a sudden the lights come on and I pretend to be startled. It just lends itself to the idea that an independant thinking person is now inside the house. I feel psychologicaly it is stronger to act surprized that the lights came on and I believe the audiance will be suprized too and think its funny. Remember they KNOW the girl is not really in the house but we are to act as if she is. To ask her to turn on the light would be the same as asking her to say something when you first pick up the house. Notice how Devin simply asks "Are you in there?". Then she replies. This is the same thing I simply say I can't see you...she turns on the light.

I hope that helps to explain my thinking behind this. But I know different people have different ways of performing. But again I have to add...I love this great effect!


Good magic to all,


Eric
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I have already ordered online a small house that lights up inside. I can't wait to add this new touch to the illusion the next time I perform it.
Here is the proper way to use both the voice and light bit at the same time.

Pick up the little house from behind the screen and walk forward:

Magician: Cindy, are you in there?
Cindy: Yes, I am inside here (audience hears voice from inside the house)

Magician tries to look through a window.

Magician: I can't see you.

Suddenly, the lights come out inside the house and startle the magician. He looks through the window again.

Magician: Oh, there you are!

I think Eric's idea will add a lot to the presentation, plus give you an extra bit of time delay.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1636 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Devin: I never suggested closing the screen when the lady is in the house, I meant after she has traveled and ONLY if performing the second version.

Also, it wouldn't be because I feel guilty, it would be because I think audience members would think that maybe there is still someone behind the left screen since they saw a hand take the house and then the lady is impossibly on the other side of the stage... It would be shutting down the only piece of the puzzle they may have figured out. Besides, I'm talking theoretically since there isn't really a method to fold the screen closed in the second version.

Devin, if you come on here and specifically tell me, from experience, that the subtlety in version 2 really does fry people then I will believe you. Which version have you used the most? (I do understand that version 2 is far less practical).
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1636 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Here's a legitimate question: Has anyone ever guessed that the lady simply walked across the stage while they were "distracted" by you and the little house and the laughing? It would be a shame if people jumped to that conclusion.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Version two does fry people and I used it during my touring show, however, to answer your question, I use Method 1 the most because Method 2 isn't practical in many of the venues I perform in. Yes you can show the backside of the screen in version two, if you use an Abbott Bryce Screen which I own although I have used it in the illusion as I feel there is no need. But if you have a Bryce screen,you can revolve it by yourself to show no one is behind there.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2016, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Here's a legitimate question: Has anyone ever guessed that the lady simply walked across the stage while they were "distracted" by you and the little house and the laughing? It would be a shame if people jumped to that conclusion.


No they haven't and you couldn't do it that way anyhow with a lady from the audience as this would depend on excellent misdirection and she wouldn't know the proper timing of when to cross.
That's an interesting idea using your own assistant. I think after my discussion about the Blackstone duck vanish, that it would be quite possible with your own assistant and strong misdirection.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2016, Devin Knight wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2016, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Here's a legitimate question: Has anyone ever guessed that the lady simply walked across the stage while they were "distracted" by you and the little house and the laughing? It would be a shame if people jumped to that conclusion.


No they haven't and you couldn't do it that way anyhow with a lady from the audience as this would depend on excellent misdirection and she wouldn't know the proper timing of when to cross.
That's an interesting idea using your own assistant. I think after my discussion about the Blackstone duck vanish, that it would be quite possible with your own assistant and strong misdirection.


Well it is amazing what you can get away with, as in this selective attention test Smile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
I easily saw the gorilla first time I don't get it, is it a joke one?
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2016, 1KJ wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2016, Devin Knight wrote:
I'm glad you guys are liking this, it is a real gem and overlooked effect from the past. Smile



I just downloaded it and I really like it! I will definitely do this next opportunity I have.

KJ

Definitely do it I did it last nioght and it was absolutly brilliant,I did three tricks and Girl in little house was middle, so I did Silent Conversatoin from Luke Jermeys new DVD then this one then I did a finish with imbalanced from Atlas Brookings new book, then after the perfroamce I was doing the sutle swindle from his book too in the crowd with rock paper sissors and got feed back and everyone thought evry thing went well they told me,

Nobody new how I did girl in little house when I asked them and I did what I said I was going to do with my phantoma tenyo house and dlight and it was a lot of fun to perfrom and I chose the right people to perform it with me, all the people after said they thought there was a secret trap door or hidden in the wall behind to make the lady go across screens what made me laugh because there was obviosly nohthing there, it is the first time I perform any of it and I was buzzing after and I still am
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2016, Karl M wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2016, 1KJ wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2016, Devin Knight wrote:
I'm glad you guys are liking this, it is a real gem and overlooked effect from the past. Smile



I just downloaded it and I really like it! I will definitely do this next opportunity I have.

KJ

Definitely do it I did it last nioght and it was absolutly brilliant,I did three tricks and Girl in little house was middle, so I did Silent Conversatoin from Luke Jermeys new DVD then this one then I did a finish with imbalanced from Atlas Brookings new book, then after the perfroamce I was doing the sutle swindle from his book too in the crowd with rock paper sissors and got feed back and everyone thought evry thing went well they told me,

Nobody new how I did girl in little house when I asked them and I did what I said I was going to do with my phantoma tenyo house and dlight and it was a lot of fun to perfrom and I chose the right people to perform it with me, all the people after said they thought there was a secret trap door or hidden in the wall behind to make the lady go across screens what made me laugh because there was obviosly nohthing there, it is the first time I perform any of it and I was buzzing after and I still am


Congrats Karl, sounds like you had a great time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Girl in Little House by Devin Knight (35 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL