The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Party Room (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

Profile of Kameron Messmer
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2016, WDavis wrote:
Business packages for retailers.

They need training venues and meeting areas. I've seen banks rent movie houses out for their training/sales rallies. Why can't that be you? Best part is they do it during the week. Provide an all inclusive price- food beverage game room and you will be set to sale.

I will look into that, thanks!
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 15, 2016, WDavis wrote:
As I don't know his location or environment, that might be true. My thoughts were geared to leveraging the weekday downtime. Another option is get a wine and beer license and do a boys night type of event for certain clubs and associations.

I have been racking my brain for a year to figure out how to sell my spot during the weekend, and the alcohol has been brought up a lot. In Montana, The alcohol licenses are VERY expensive. Over a million typically, and even if I could buy one they are limited to a certain number and all are purchased right now. I have to wait and typically the licenses get sold privately or kept in the family... VERY backwards antiquated alcohol laws...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20426 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Could it be an educating them about the products issue? Maybe adjusting the sales pitch a little? I have no idea but the customers won't change. Maybe try adjusting to them a bit. I am not sure just exploring ideas is all. I don't know how you sell, so obviously I am not saying it is a problem, just asking.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 21, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Could it be an educating them about the products issue? Maybe adjusting the sales pitch a little? I have no idea but the customers won't change. Maybe try adjusting to them a bit. I am not sure just exploring ideas is all. I don't know how you sell, so obviously I am not saying it is a problem, just asking.

So here's what we do, we have all sorts of upgrades on the website that they pretty much have to see to see the main party package. When we are mailing and booking the party we also ask what upgrades they would like. Most don't pick anything. They are still BUYING the stuff we offer, just from other places. Most come with decorations,probably from amazon which can beat the prices I can get from my local party store WHERE I GET A DISCOUNT. pizza, (usually cheap $5 little caesars) a cake (from my sister, mother, aunt, who does cakes...everyone makes cakes), and balloons probably from the dollar store... so it's probably about $100 more with everything and my prices wouldn't be too different (I would have to do the running around for them) but apparently they would rather save $30 and get it themselves then have the convenience of having it there already...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20426 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok somehow their "perception" is the heater value for these things is to do what they are. Somehow toy have to get them to see greater value in going through you.

Everyone makes cakes, but get a reputation for making cakes nobody else can, at a better price and toy have something. Do the pizza in house, be better than brought in pizza. Balloons I don't know. But there are ways to compete with reputation. Problem is they take tone, research and money. Question becomes are they wirth it?

Keep in mind I am not for a second saying you are doing anything wrong. Only exploring what may help upsell. I think you are doing fantastic and applaud you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10024 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Two things immediately come to mind (without getting into it too deep, which I could) - First is people are willing to pay for CONVENIENCE. That should be part of what you offer - plug and play, set it & forget it, one call to create your entire special event. I do think you are blaming your market and customers as perhaps a justification of why it is the way it is. Trust me, give them, value, convenience and something else that no one else in your area is offering, and you will see they'll find a way to be able to pay for it. It is a very special occassion, people come up with the money for the right perceived value and unique good time.

Secondly, your positioning is out of whack with what you're trying to attempt. You are currently positioned as a game room. Even your description to us primarily talked about the games, number of game, more games being added, "free game play", etc. Even your domain is game-based and oriented. There is little value in just games. There is far greater value as being positioned as a "family entertainment center" or even "celebration party-room." I question whether just games is enough of a draw, when you have so much more to offer. What is the public's perception? How are they seeing you and your business?

But it has to be more than just the room. Rooms are likely available everywhere. The local American Legion or VFW can likely be rented for $100, maybe less. You have to be more than a room, more than just games. You need to create a party and entertainment experience.

Again, the one thing you offer that these others can't is A.) live entertainment (including featuring the birthday boy/girl), coupled with convenience which to me should come in the form of packages. Ala Carte is fine, but screams "optional" and "additional" which also is interpreted as "additional costs" or perhaps "unnecessary costs."

Creating several inclusive Party Packages offers the convenience, "everything they'll need without having to order it or run around themselves. You have and maintain "control" over the quality and what is representative of your business, and it creates the one and done type of appeal your business should be positioned with.

Packages could be for different lengths and include different features. The first would be like a Basic Package with just the basics - free game play, no entertainment, party favors, pizza, drinks, etc. for 60 minutes. The next could be a 90 minute package with the live feature entertainment show, pizza, drinks, cake, party favors (which could also include some excellent take home marketing materials), membership for all attendees into your "special club" and unlimited game play, etc. Then of course you could even have another that is another 90 minute or perhaps two hours with everything you offer, kind of a deluxe offering. Then these things included have greater perceived value, you aren't nickle and dimeing them for "extras," "add-ons" or "upsells" and you will also create the keeping up with the Jones mentalities for every new booking that each booking genrates.

You shoud also work more on your outsourcing. If customers can get it retail for cheaper than you can wholesale or at a discount your are doing something wrong, dealing with the wrong people or once again these vendors are not seeing the value in working or partnering with you and your business.

This is quite similar to an industry that I've been working with that is in dire positioning. Their kids-based programs have deteriorated to virtually nothing, many in the industry have dropped kids programs and packages all together. I was brought in to turn this around. And together with a hand-selected team, we did to now having the premier venue in the country with the program that typically averages about 60 kids, to wheat we have elevated it to over 900 kids with many residuals benefits. This is very similar to what you are doing and offering. We used many of the same techniques that I have shared here with you on a more basic level.

Thsi is just a good place to start and to re-look at things.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22652 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Something you can do immediately is to take out and stop using the word "upgrade", the word automatically means increasing the price. Maybe call them "Party Kits".
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Good advice here: My 2 cents- Sell more packages, not ala carte. charge more for the live show..and have a premium live show. Have a higher rate for fri, sat sun...and a discount one for other weeknights, school days off, etc.

CW

PS use social media. If you need tips on this, pls contact me.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1322 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Kameron

You may want to check into a "tavern license" as opposed to a liquor license. At one time my wife & I were looking to open a restaurant and after consulting with my brother and sister-in-law (who have been in the restaurant business over 20 years) there is a BIG difference between the two.

A tavern license is essentially for beer & wine, while the liquor license covers all the "hard stuff" plus other things. The tavern license is usually less expensive and more easily obtained. This may be a better option for you.

This is what I know in my state (NH), but in the state of MT it might be something to look into.

Congratulations on all of your success so far!

Mark
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2766 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I agree there is a huge difference in getting a beer & wine permit and the hard liquor license,
and I think that would be true in most all the states.

But still. I would be very careful in doing that because it is very easy for a place, especially
one aimed at kids, to get a bad reputation when you start serving alcohol. The last thing you want
is to get away from the kid friendly perception. I’m not sure a state would even issue a permit to
a small local place geared mainly for kids. Just a thought.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20426 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I had the same thought. Not certain I would have a kids party where they serve beer. Not to mention if you want to see your insurance skyrocket serve beer and wine. The liability is staggering. Then just one accident that comes back to you and it is all gone.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Interestingly, Chuck E Cheese serves beer and wine, at least at the locations near me. The risk/benefit conversation is an interesting one.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2766 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
True Chuck E Cheese does serve it. But they are a trusted national name viewed more like a pizza restaurant where parents
often take the kids for no special reason other than to eat. It's known that some do go there to have a party.

Not saying it can't be done but it is much harder for the small time local party person to earn that ‘trust’ where parents
will often just drop the kids off trusting other parents hosting the party to look over everything.

Nothing worse than having drunk parents in a bar babysitting a bunch of kids. LOL

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20426 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Indeed Tom.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

Ive been trying since I opened to figure out alcohol. A few issues. Montana has VERY archaic laws on liquor licenses. They only issue a certain amount to "help with alcoholism" which doesn't btw. So They stay in the owners hands forever because they are so rare and then pass them on to family when they die or sell them for over 1 M. And it is illegal to let someone bring in alcohol, apparently. It's called a bottle club. So my only option if I want alcohol is to have a bar bring in a portable bar and serve people. I want to let adults rent it for late night parties with alcohol, but it doesn't look like it will work...
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2486 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I don't know if this will be any use to you, but I knew a club owner years ago that sold soda and bottled water and the like. He gave wine away for free, because then he was not selling alcohol. While that may have angered the local ATF people, it was 100% legal.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20426 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Always a good idea to anger the local authorities.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Party Room (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL