The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Has anyone Sold magic effects at a flea market? (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
245 Posts

Profile of Frosty
Hey JasonK, that's a beautiful banner you have there.... So glad you posted it here! Your banner and Sams are a perfect example of the flash needed for pitching. Its so important when pitching that you will see that your tips will increases in size because of it..
When I first started pitching magic in the early 1990's I had no flash at my join at all. I still sold but as soon as I added the banner behind my joint, that made a huge difference... You can see a couple of pics I posted of my joint and the banner I use here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=42
I use a 4' by 8' banner and if I could get it bigger I would... that's how much I believe the difference flashing your joint makes..

Hey Seth, sorry to see your not pitching anymore. Hope your health gets better... We had fun reading many of your posts and all the others here in step right up section! It was better then watching a novela (Spanish word for soap opera). We even had names for each of you guys... hope you all don't get offended as I'm going to post a few of them here anyways!

Don Driver - The hardcore pitchman.. (now the King!)
David Walker - the King..
Seth - the attorney with tricks up his sleeve..
Will Roya - the young blood..
John O the Great - the story teller..
Mark Lewis - the wicked pitchman..
And others....

I think ill stop there LOL! Reading you all's past posts was like watching a realty show of you guys as you all brought great stories here in the Step Right Up section of the Café...
Wish you all the best!
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Here is a good story for you guys.Years ago I was thinking one day....too bad I didn't stick with just magic instead of pitching.Maybe I would have learned enough to put out a DVD on card tricks by now....but all I know is how to pitch thoses *** Svengali cards.Hmmm maybe someone out there would like to learn how to pitch Svengali decks.I could make a cheap DVD and I might sell a dozen or so.As they say "the rest is history."

Thanks to each and everyone of you it seems to have worked out...way beyond my wildest dreams.

Love ya all...
Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Don, you done good!! And you have helped to pass the torch from Dave Walker and yourself to a whole new bunch of pitchmen. Lots of what needs to be known about pitching can only be learned from experience in the "School of Hard Knocks," but it really helps to have somebody like you give folks a good start.

We really have appreciated all your good advice (even if we didn't always follow it sometimes!) But sometimes you just have to learn the hard way. I think I still have a few packs of Buddha Papers, Money Paddles and a bunch of S.S. Adams Ball Vases floating around in my garage! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Don's Svengali DVD is pure gold. If you watch it, learn the pitch, and go for it you WILL sell decks. Sure you will sell more over time as you get better but the pitch is so good it really does do all the work for you.

I made the mistake of ordering ball vases too. It's hard to open a wholesale account and not want to buy several different tricks. I am glad I bought Coloring Books though. For me, the Decks and Color Books do as well as the decks and worms.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Yep, I would guess that the Magic Coloring Books might work out OK. They are very visual, quick to demo and easy to work --- and they pack flat! Ironically, I believe they use the same basic principle as the Svengali Deck!

I loved working the worms, but there was one big problem. On a really hot and humid day, no matter what I did, my hands would often get sweaty, and that was the kiss of death for the IT gimmick. The added drag on the worm and the gimmick would often cause the gimmick to break. I did carry some talcum powder with me to keep the hands dry, which helped a little, but eventually it just got gummy, too, and so it aggravated the situation instead of helping it.

Although I always carried about a dozen extra replacement worms all rigged up and set to go, it was a real pain to stop and replace a worm every ten minutes. The Svengali Decks and the Coloring Books could have the same problem with sweat, but to a much smaller extent. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
245 Posts

Profile of Frosty
Seth couldn't of said it any better... Don, I'm soooo glad you didn't just stick to magic! When I first started, It wasn't much of a pitch till I started learning the art of the pitch and their methods. I learned more out of your videos than any other source out there! Even after 20 years pitching I still have more to learn.... I did a quick google search on your name and have to say you have lived a life many of us would only dream of! You all don't believe me, check this link out: http://themagicofbaltimore.blogspot.com/p/don-driver_30.html

I think we still have to pick your brain some more! About that 5%, I really don't think its a great idea though LOL!

Seth, I was re-reading your earlier posts about pitching the squirmel and I think I'm going to use some of your advice there. I have never pitched that critter (I've tried though) but I'm determined to work that pitch and get the practice... I still need plenty of practice but I know it will be great slum to pitch!
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
FYI The May issue of Magic Magazine has a wonderful story on The Yogi Magic Mart that was in Baltimore.I worked there for a number of years in the early 70's.Owner Phil Thomas was a legend in the magic world.A story well worth reading.

Don
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Has anyone Sold magic effects at a flea market? (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL