The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Gimmicked trick w/ no sleights? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
I love to craft gimmicks.
My slight of hand skills are crap when it comes to cards(I still practice, but I get nowhere haha).

So, that being said, I'm sure you can probably guess what I'm looking for.

Hopefully you more experienced guys/gals can recommend something. I don't mind a PM if you need to avoid posting anything, information wise.

I'm not even a card guy generally, but I do like this aspect of card magic quite a bit(the crafting of needed particulars, gimmicks, and whatnot).

That is why I am hoping somebody knows where I am coming from, and has a recommendation or three.

I don't usually start threads like this, but I have no idea where to start with such a specific "craving", as it were.
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2016, Race Blakhart wrote:
I love to craft gimmicks.
My slight of hand skills are crap when it comes to cards(I still practice, but I get nowhere haha).

So, that being said, I'm sure you can probably guess what I'm looking for.

Hopefully you more experienced guys/gals can recommend something. I don't mind a PM if you need to avoid posting anything, information wise.

I'm not even a card guy generally, but I do like this aspect of card magic quite a bit(the crafting of needed particulars, gimmicks, and whatnot).

That is why I am hoping somebody knows where I am coming from, and has a recommendation or three.

I don't usually start threads like this, but I have no idea where to start with such a specific "craving", as it were.

Your post is hugely vague. It does not specify anything, other than that you are interested in gimmicked cards. Could you be more precise? Try to narrow it down a bit.

Having said that, by far the best totally without-skill card trick I have ever seen/owned is the Martini Rising cards. Which you can get from here:

http://www.martinismagic.com/Products.html

Or, here if you live in the UK:

http://www.martinbreese.com/trickpages/risingcardsl.htm

You don't need to even be able to control a card.

And, once you've purchased the effect, you can make your own once the card gimmick gets dirty (the edges will get grey after a while). Whereas you can sand the edges to try to get back the whiteness of new cards, it is never completely successful. Therefore, if you enjoy making gimmicks, re-making that gimmick should be easy for you.

If this isn't what you are asking for, as I said, if you narrow things down a bit, I'm sure you will get some sort of help.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
You're right. I just realized a big part of my post somehow disappeared between proof reading it and clicking "post".

Basically I was getting down to the fact that I am looking to find some card tricks that require the crafting of a gimmick and very little, to no slight of hand. Beyond that, I guess there are no other specifics.

I don't have a lot of experience as far as the history of card magic specifically, as I always tend to find myself studying very different areas of magic.

I think the reason I am looking for tricks that fit "no sleights" & "crafting a gimmick" is because even though I am no good with card sleights, I do enjoy being able to have a card trick when people want to see one, and I really love crafting clever gimmicks.

Weirdly specifically vague, right? haha sorry I'm trying, but I don't know how else to explain myself on this one.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You might enjoy making a Dutch Looper. The directions are in The Wizards' Journal #17 - item 04 - "Double Dutch Loopers."
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Thanks, Jim! I'll look it up!
liormk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of liormk
Hi, if you're looking for card trick that requires some arts and crafts you can check out TOONZ (http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5857)
I have it and it looks really good in the video, but I never tried it myself as I don't have the time or energy to make the gimmick lol. The effect itself looks great imo.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Awesome! Thanks for sharing! I'll check it out
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks has several chapters devoted to tricks with DF, DB, slick, Svengali, and Mene Tekel. You can probably buy it at Amazon for about $10; and if you have access to a good paper cutter and a lot of patience, you could probably construct your own Mene Tekel and your own Svengali.

Check out some non-gaffed self-workers, too. Everyone in this forum has probably had the experience of getting a better reaction from a self-worker than from a knuckle-buster, and then wondering "Why did I put in all that practice time again?"
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
JoeHohman, that's great! Big thank you! I definitely will check some self-workers out, too.

This is turning out to be a longer and much more informative thread than I expected. Thanks so far to everyone who's posted!
Mark Williams
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
513 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Try this one...it's free to download and quite a good little effect.

https://www.theory11.com/marketplace/jef......d-tricks

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Mark, this one looks really cool! Thanks for the link!
NotThatLarson
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of NotThatLarson
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2016, Mark Williams wrote:
Try this one...it's free to download and quite a good little effect.

https://www.theory11.com/marketplace/jef......d-tricks

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams

That looks really cool.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Gimmicked trick w/ no sleights? (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL