The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Storytelling Magic Book List? (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
Getting into Storytelling magic and I am trying to compile a wish list of books to try to acquire.
My first title was Walt Anthony's Tales of Enchantment.
I also found Magical Adventures and Fairy Tales by Punx on Lybrary.com
Perhaps this has been discussed? Could someone provide a link if so?
Looking at Pentalogy by R. Shane, Magictales by Leslie Melville, and Grandfather Tales by Ed Solomon.
What other recommendations do you have? What do you think of these titles?
Thanks!
John Green
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Profile of Nyama Possessor
Do not call me just a magician or a conjuror;
Storyteller would be just right...
Come, sit at my feet and smile.
Forget there was a yesterday
and that tomorrow will come.
— Punx

STORYTELLING MAGIC - BOOKLIST

- Magic and Meaning (Expanded) — Eugene Burger and Robert E. Neale
http://www.hermeticpress.com/product_inf......s_id=106

- Traveler's Journal — T. Everett Bookings III (Lary Kuehn)
http://www.jewelpro.com/boo/traveler.html

- Hidden Things — T. Everett Bookings III (Lary Kuehn)
http://www.lulu.com/shop/lary-kuehn/hidden-things/paperback/product-22284035.html

- The Complete MagicTales — Leslie Melville
http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/magictales......TTFLeK2w (run a search on the site if the link don’t work.)

- The Complete Oracle (Vol. 1, 2, 3) — Larry White & David Goodsell
http://www.lybrary.com/the-complete-oracle-p-217810.html

- Magical Adventures and Fairy Tales — Punx (Ludwig Franz Wilhelm Hanemann)
http://www.lybrary.com/magical-adventure......860.html

- Gift Magic — Lawrence Hass
http://www.theoryandartofmagic.com/produ......_id=7551

- 

By Darkness Influenced — Kotah (Ronald J. Dayton)
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S5563

- A Darker Light — Kotah (Ronald J. Dayton)

- Pentalogy — R. Shane
http://www.lybrary.com/pentalogy-p-135791.html

- Capricornian Tales — Christian Chelman
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S5053

- Hauntiques — Christian Chelman

- This Is Not A Book — Robert E. Neale
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S10887

- Frog Tales Book — Robert E. Neale
www.penguinmagic.com/p/S4028

- Tricks of the Imagination — Robert E. Neale

- Life, Death and Other Card Tricks — Robert E. Neale

- Money Matters — Ed Solomon (DeNomolos)

- Grandfather Stories Magic with a Native American Flair — Ed Solomon (DeNomolos)

- Something Strange Within: Presentations for the Storyteller — Ed Solomon (DeNomolos)

- Strange Offerings: Presentations for the Storyteller — Ed Solomon (DeNomolos)

- Sound FX: Presentations for the Storyteller — Ed Solomon (DeNomolos)

- Egyptian Magic: Presentations for the Storyteller — Ed Solomon (DeNomolos)

- Tales of Enchantment (The Art of Magic) — Walt Anthony

- Some Shadowy Paths and Byways — Brother Shadow (Carl Herron)

- The Art Of Storytelling Magic — Brother Shadow (Carl Herron)

- The Papers Of Gautama Siddharta — Brother Shadow (Carl Herron)

- The Maximum Opus (Treatise) — Brother Shadow (Carl Herron)

- Bringing The Wonder Of Magic To Children — Brother Shadow (Carl Herron)
The Honorable NYAMA POSSESSOR

Co-Founder & Co-Creator of MAGICAL REALISM, Owner of ANCESTRAL REALM PRODUCTIONS

* 17 Year Member of the Shadow Network * ICBM Alumnus *

Creator/Author of SUMMONING RUMI and numerous other underground proprietary releases...
Books, routines and tools coming soon, available only and exclusively at www.AlchemyMoon.com
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Wow this is fantastic! Thank you so much for this thorough list.

I know some of the titles are out of print, but are there any particular online magic vendors who may specialize in bizarre or storytelling titles?
I know Lybrary.com has several of the OOP titles as .pdfs.
Thanks,
John Green
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2016, Nyama Possessor wrote:
Do not call me just a magician or a conjuror;
Storyteller would be just right...
Come, sit at my feet and smile.
Forget there was a yesterday
and that tomorrow will come.
— Punx

MIND BLOWN!!!!
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Is there any way to access some of the titles by Brother Shadow? Specifically, the Papers of Gautama Siddhartha, and Bringing the Wonder of Magic to Children?
My understanding was that he has passed and many if these are out if print. Is there not a way to access these titles?
Thanks to any who can help!
John Green

ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

I will add a couple of titles I have found:

Dark Matter Secrets; 80 years of Spooky Magic
http://www.lybrary.com/dark-matter-secre......022.html

Midnight in the Dark Museum - using Doug Higley's Dark Museum set: Shrunky Head, Monkey Paw, Cannibal Leftovers
http://www.lulu.com/shop/jim-magus/midni......ml?ppn=1

These are more on the "Bizarre" side of Storytelling magic but since they are both available, I thought they fit.

Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Profile of Nyama Possessor
Professor,

You're most certainly welcome.

To my knowledge Brother Shadow (Carl Herron)—who I knew personally and was taught by— has NOT passed away!! His works are ONLY available to a select few. Other than that, like Andruzzi's stuff, unless you already own them, you'll probably never see them.

To answer your question directly, Brother Shadow's titles are unavailable except to those who already own them, as he has stopped selling them and is more or less unreachable to my understanding... I included his masterful works in my list for the sake of completeness. Let it be known also that I have purposely chosen not to include "underground" books and tomes in my above list also, so that they stay underground. Smile

Somethings in life are best earned, rather than easily obtained.
The Honorable NYAMA POSSESSOR

Co-Founder & Co-Creator of MAGICAL REALISM, Owner of ANCESTRAL REALM PRODUCTIONS

* 17 Year Member of the Shadow Network * ICBM Alumnus *

Creator/Author of SUMMONING RUMI and numerous other underground proprietary releases...
Books, routines and tools coming soon, available only and exclusively at www.AlchemyMoon.com
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I am happy to say my “Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic” is and will continue to be in print. Now in its sixth year it is still a very strong seller. “Tales” is available from Penguin Magic or directly from me.

Now the publishing rights have reverted to me I am in negotiations for other magic shops to carry it as well.

Sadly, very sadly, Brother Shadow’s excellent and inspiring books are as scarce as dinosaurs. To the best of my knowledge he is living as a recluse in a nursing/retirement facility.

Lastly, if you can find them, the several wonderful books by the late Eugene Poinc are of major value to the arts of Theatrical/Story/Bizarre magic.

Magically, Walt
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

As I continue building my Storytelling magic library, I'd like to continue to grow this list. Some of these titles are Out of Print and rather expensive, but obtainable. These are the ones I have actually been able to get or found sellers for:

Sheherazade - Borodin (Ulf Bolling) - (OOP, approximate unsigned going rate: $100.00) This is a highly regarded book of storytelling magic whose name

Final Curtain - Borodin (Ulf Bolling) - (Still available from online vendors, $55) The sequel to Sheherazade, storytelling magic with more quantity of mentalism routines; caveat emptor, many routines require constructing a prop or device as with Sheherazade.

Oh No, Not Another Card Trick - Ed Solomon - ($25-30, still available at some vendors, specifically for storytelling magicians who don't usually do card tricks)

Altar Flame, Bound and Complete - Mary Tomich - ($85; contact the author directly to obtain this through Dragonskull.co.uk) - This is the only currently obtainable source for writings by Brother Shadow (Carl Herron), whose other works are very scarce and are not often offered for resale.

The Practitioner - Eugene Poinc - (Still available on secondhand market)

Scrolls - Tim Converse - ($40, 125 pages, routines as well as essays on character, acting and material)

I think the FIRST book anyone interested in Storytelling magic (lighter themes based in fairy and folk tales vs. the darker subject matter of "spookier" Bizarre magic) should purchase, hands down, is "Tales of Enchantment" by Walt Anthony. He discusses the process of adapting classics of magic to storytelling and bizarre presentations, as well as hints on making/obtaining props and many other cool ideas. He also discusses the creation of a complete show: how to begin and end an evening of theatrical magic in a way that creates and maintains a special atmosphere. As storytellers, we learn that it is important to gently move the audience into a different frame of mind, one that is prepared to willingly suspend disbelief and go on a journey with you as the guide.

JassTan
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
105 Posts

Profile of JassTan
Great list, Don't forget "Story" by Robert McKee. Highly recommend.
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
733 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
And, just to toot my own horn... TC Tahoe: His Bizarre Side
:)
nbl
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of nbl
Is there a book by Borden?
(not sure if I spelled it right ..sorry..)
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2017, nbl wrote:
Is there a book by Borden?
(not sure if I spelled it right ..sorry..)

Perhaps you mean Borodin? If so, two books are referenced, earlier in the thread. I have them both and highly recommend them.

All the best,

David
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Theatrical Magic by John Pyka available at Amazon & Barnes & Noble.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Intrapsi
View Profile
New user
Venice, Italy
13 Posts

Profile of Intrapsi
Quote:
STORYTELLING MAGIC - BOOKLIST

Thanks, Nyama Possessor.

Unfortunately, many of these books or ebooks are practically impossible to find today.
Michele Terlizzi
FelixKraus
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of FelixKraus
Anyone found a way to find Brother Shadow material?
dorian_faust
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, California
278 Posts

Profile of dorian_faust
Like the person above, I too would love to know how to procure Brother Shadow's materials. Also, how would one go about purchasing the works of Ed Solomon?
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Tooting my own horn as well, there's also my latest release - Hoshi's Lucky Star: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=15

Another excellent book I can heartily recommend is The Garden of Strange by Caleb Strange.

We all know far too many effects and it's really not so difficult to pair them up with short stories. I often wonder why there is virtually little discussion regarding learning the art of storytelling itself when it is the very foundation of, well,... storytelling! Don't put the cart before the horse.

What follows is a list of books and resources that I have found to be of personal value in my journey. Hopefully they'll also be of interest to some of you, too.

- "Miracles: What They Are, Why They Happen, and How They Can Change Your Life" by Eric Metaxas

- "A Muse and a Maze: Writing as Puzzle, Mystery, and Magic" by Peter Turchi

- "The Art of Noticing" by Rob Walker

- "The Art of Storytelling: Easy Steps to Presenting an Unforgettable Story" by John D. Walsh

- "The 24 Laws of Storytelling: A Practical Handbook for Great Storytellers" by Jonathan Baldie

- "Daemon Voices: On Stories and Storytelling" by Philip Pullman

- "Stranger Magic: Charmed States and the Arabian Nights" by Marina Walker

- "The Art of Being Brilliant" by Andy Cope & Andy Whittaker

- "Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things that Nobody Ever Told You About Being Creative" by Austin Kleon

And last (but certainly not least), Neil Gaiman's online course at Masterclass.com: Neil Gaiman Teaches the Art of Storytelling

Can you think of a better teacher than Neil Gaiman !? Smile
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
"Hugard's Annual of Magic 1938-1939"
The Story of One Card Pete
Elmer Applegrit
This is a presentation for a story deck and The Six Card Repeat, I only do the six card repeat because I haven't found a way to display the cards from the stage.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
And for the ones that want to experience Neil Gaiman then read The Sandman!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Storytelling Magic Book List? (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL