The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » first trick you learned (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
gene plampin
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of gene plampin
My first trick I learned as a kid, before I got into magic. It involved putting a ring on the thumb, and then putting my thumb with the ring on it under my armpit. Then I'd pause, pull out my thumb to show the ring was no longer on my thumb, and produce the ring from someone's ear.

Gene
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
The first trick I learned as a kid was was the one where you make it look like you are removing half of your thumb.
Edmund_Fitzgerald
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Edmund_Fitzgerald
First trick I learned, many years ago, was to use a Svengali deck to transform the deck. I am not sure what I learned but it piqued my curiosity in magic. Later, the first trick I learned without a gimick was Presto Prediction from one of Bob Longe's books. That taught me that there is such thing as magic without gimicks, which was a big step forward.
---Magic: Its priceless. Its inside you. ---
TOTALLY MAGIC
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas,NV
436 Posts

Profile of TOTALLY MAGIC
It was the cups and balls for me but it was made out of paper cups and cotten balls.LOL
Chris Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
243 Posts

Profile of Chris Miller
My first trick was a coin tray in a magic set I had been given. I was pretty young, and my parents seemed so amazed when I would multiply their change. It was yellow and made from plastic.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Ball and Vase.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1934 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
The little plastic nails through coin trick my mom got me from the wondrous Disneyland Magic Shop in the Castle when I was like 6.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
anime_file
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of anime_file
The first trick I learned was the old classic...
I had friends who had done magic and I got interested.
During my trip to Las Vegas, I went to a magic shop and asked what a beginner should start with and they gave me John Hamman's DVD set. And the DVD taught like nothing. I didn't understand how to do double lifts and I thought Hamman had magic fingers that always knew how to take two cards. A pretty bad start in my opinion.
sugam
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
175 Posts

Profile of sugam
Don't remember the age... 8 years old?
Anyhow, first "trick" was from a magic set... the one with that red egg holder and the yellow ball that disappeared as you put on or remove the lid.

First magic trick would probably be the 21 card one I think.

First "sleight-of-hand" trick I think was that simple reverse card one (having the participant insert the card back into the deck in the middle... you know that one).
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Mystic Mummy (a sawing a mummy in half pocket trick), German Magic coins (litle cap and some palming coins, coin in matchbox.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
JediMindTrick
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of JediMindTrick
Sam the Bellhop.

just kidding, I think the first trick (sleight)i learned, and used on people, was a riffle force. that and a colour changing stick
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Ok you have 21 cards and you deal them out in 3 rows...........you all know this one. But it fooled me the first time and that is what got me rolling. I don't use this one anymore since just about everybody lay people included know this one, but if nobody has seen it, it can be a real fooler.
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Mitchum
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Mitchum
My first trick was the same as the one mentioned above by Phil Thomas. However, the reveal that I use is a magician's force (I think that is what it's called) where the spectator is "forced" to select their card through a process of elimination. This trick still gets great reactions from lay people... although I'm sure a magician wouldn't be too impressed.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Sure, rubbing a coin into my arm, never to return. Used a borrowed coin and kept it. Never one beef.
Still do it? You bet. Gotta quarter? I'll show you something neat with it.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
The first trick I learned was twisting the aces. I still use it.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
BrianCooper
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
55 Posts

Profile of BrianCooper
The first trick I every saw and learned was the old pull your thumb off trick.

Brian Cooper
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
My first trick was The Three Card Monte , I learned it by watching a drunk guy winning lots of money in a narrow dodgy street. I was 16 y/o and never learned anything else until I was 20 when I learned to make a cig vanish, then again never learned anything else until four years later which was last year when I get seriously involved buying books , videos etc and now I am improving by the day and practising all the time.

Zac
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
krist0pher
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of krist0pher
Smile First trick was actually a routine I made myself at age 5, where I'd hold up a quilt and tell everyone I was going to dissapear by the time it dropped. Being 5 years old and having the stamina of a cheetah, I'd drop it and ninja-roll behind the back of a nearby couch without being seen. And since it was performed for other 5years olds, I got some wicked-awesome reactions Smile

After that it was a Blackstone magic kit in the late 80's.
Kristopher Scofield

Myspace.com/imkrisscofield
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
My first trick was "Nickles to Dimes", bought in Miami....

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
The first trick I ever learned was cups and balls. I think I must have been around 10 and did it for my boyscout troop! Smile
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » first trick you learned (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL