The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Your favorite eye candy magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
Here is an article precisely on this topic that I hope will prove useful:

Tip #11: Eye Candy Openers

If you have done any serious reading about restaurant magic, you will have already encountered the "Rule of Three," and the recommendation to arrange your table side sets in groups of three routines: an opener, a middler and a closer. Some authors point out that everything you do should be a closer, by which I presume they mean that all of your material should be strong enough to close the show. Conceding this point, then, bring us to the problem of choosing material.

Many books proceed to give you new routines as examples, but I have found that much of the time these are as ill-fitting as someone else's clothes. It would be far better to take the tricks we already know and arrange them into effective sets for restaurant work. How do we do this, you ask.

Well, I'm glad you asked.

First, look at your current repertoire. By this, I mean those tricks and routines that you have done so often and know so well that they are second nature. If you need to think about what you are doing, the routine is not yet sufficiently rehearsed. Once you've compiled a list of your true repertoire, think carefully about the rhythm and pacing from the audience's point of view.

Does the routine require a long introduction, a multi-step process for the audience to follow, or require you to borrow something? Does it give the audience a chance to get to know you a little better? Perhaps it's got a very engaging story to it. This is the sort of routine you want for the middle of your set. Set it aside for later.

Does the routine have most of its impact at the very end? Does it create a strong impression that will last? Is the audience left with a souvenir, perhaps a magically transformed object? When you perform it, do you think, "Nothing can follow THAT"? Then it's probably a closer. Set it aside, as well.

Does the routine have a really strong beginning, then build on that impact? Is it highly visual, requiring nothing but the audience's attention? Is the plot simple and direct? Is it really magical? Does it indicate or imply great skill? Then it may be a good candidate for an opener.

The purpose of an opener is to establish your credentials as a magician. Whenever and audience encounters an unknown performer, they wonder if this person will be any good. Audiences want genuine entertainment, and they do not enjoy seeing performers embarrass themselves. So you need to establish right from the beginning that you are good at what you do. This is very important, because once the audience sees that you’re good (and that they are unlikely to catch you) they can relax and enjoy the rest of the show.

This is not to say that you always should approach the table with flash paper blazing, as it were. One must observe the niceties. As I’ve written before, it is still necessary to start with a friendly approach, and establish 1) that you are the house magician 2) the magic is free and 3) they want to see it now. Then, and only then, ought you to begin performing. But when you do start, start with a stunner!

A secondary purpose for an opening routine is to answer the unspoken but important question, "Why should I keep watching?" Eye candy answers, "Because if you do, you're going to see something impossible!"

The phrase “Eye Candy” came up at the recent Shoot Ogawa/Apollo Robbins lecture I attended in Baltimore. They did material from their new Cultural Xchange DVD, which I highly recommend. They developed the material for use in very loud bars and clubs, where talking was impossible. I have been using the Wither Vanish and Nabil Change with great success in the restaurants and in casual situations where the angles are favorable. So the tricks are very visual, have a great deal of impact and in some cases will make you curse sleight of hand. Once you’ve mastered this material, you’ll be able to write a book yourself.

My standard Eye Candy Openers include a one-coin flurry ending with a US Silver Eagle changing into a dollar-sized US penny (called Inflation, the routine will see print in the near future). I often use the Ninja Rings, minus the tabled moves, because it has the added advantage of playing up in the air and helps "billboard" the magic to other tables. When children and crayons are present, I use them to help me produce a Rainbow Streamer, which then vanishes with lots of help from the wee ones.

If time is short, I may only do one routine, but still want to leave the audience feeling that they have seen a complete show. Ninja Rings and Sponge Bunnies are perfect for this. At a recent strolling banquet gig, three of us magi were given two minutes per table to work! So I did my coin routine, Ninja Rings, Imaginary Bunnies and Really Cool Rising Cards, one per table, and it all worked out well.

Excerpted from "TIPS: Real-World Ideas From a Working Magician." Copyright (c) 2003 Eric B Henning. All Rights Reserved.
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Seconds on Simon Lovell's "Packed Wallet".
Stunning way to get attention.
Jack.
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Ammar's Wine Bottle production...does it get anymore "WOW"? First time I saw him do it at dennys I almost had to change my pants. UNREAL.
davejesc
View Profile
New user
David Juraschek
83 Posts

Profile of davejesc
Card Warp is wickedly visual and stunning.

If you are wearing an ITR (I use a Kevlar Pen Reel), a quick levitation of a used sugar packet, straw wrapper or some other "trash" off the table is stunning and quick. Instantly re-sets too.

-Dave
amshake
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of amshake
Quote:

colour changing pen knives (daryls is a killer), Michael skinners ultimate monte, hot rod (Examinable)

I completely agree with the hot rod.. my fav "eye candy" effect. Though Flec, any hotrod is examinible, assuming your routine allows it..
Magic Geek
bkowkabany
View Profile
Loyal user
I have driven through the hearts of men
276 Posts

Profile of bkowkabany
Any quick change/disappearance with a Raven.
Download our Free Magic Inventory and Show Creation software - www.mailware.com/magic

Mentalist by day. Bizzarist by night.
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
Chris Korn's Backhanded Transportation (now known as Coppa Silva) is visually stunning. I like to do it with the coins from Lethal Tender and a Raven (I finally found an application that I like!). Ultimate 3 Fly is also very visual and stunning. I also use a lot from the Cultural XChange series.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Fl!p Stick. Kills and is NOT an audience participation idea - the bloody thing simply vanishes right in front of their eyes ... IF you do it right.

Snapping a knot in a rope, Professor's Nightmare, C&R rope, 1 coin routine and mouth coils all qualify, depending on presentation.

Just a few more obscure ones from the back of the room...

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2004-03-30 06:13, Lee Darrow wrote:
Flip Stick. Kills and is NOT an audience participation idea - the bloody thing simply vanishes right in front of their eyes ... IF you do it right.

You should have seen Tim Conover perform his version of this in the 70's using rhyming patter and a FISM Flash accompanying the vanishes -- absolutely fantastic!
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Mickey Silver vanishing coins before your eyes and sending them through his ears out his mouth and back in his hand, then swallowing a coin and its back in his hand. It really doesn't get better than that for pure visual sleight of hand. Truly eye candy.
Magic Marty
View Profile
New user
Illinois
80 Posts

Profile of Magic Marty
Sankey's In a Flash is good in the eye candy department. A little flash paper can go a long way sometimes.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Impulsive premonition By Jack Carpenter is killer..
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Alan Gold
View Profile
Regular user
Key West, FL
149 Posts

Profile of Alan Gold
My favorite eye candy, and the trick I open with just about every time I am performing for someone who has not seen me before, is Red Hot Mama/Chicago Opener. It is very visual. It gets their attention. It gives me a good idea where their heads are by their reaction to it. It ends clean. And from there I can go in a million different directions, as at that point I have a straight deck to work with.

One thing...I have seen it referred to several times in the Café since joining a week ago, but I have to ask...what the heck is a Hot Shot Cut Revelation? Just wondering.

:-)

Alan
Remember: Al G. is just another way to say pond scum.
CWMoss
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of CWMoss
Daryl's Hot Shot Cut is in his videos (Encyclopedia).

I like the Pick A Pip effect from Carneycopia
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2004-03-24 07:46, JackDaniel wrote:
Seconds on Simon Lovell's "Packed Wallet".
Stunning way to get attention.
Jack.

I sell the wallets for this routine on my website at a great price. To make it even better, Simon's routine is included (thanks Simon) with the wallets.

I also include an additional routine as well.

Frank Starsinic
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
They look good, Frank... Nice site too.
I am interested and will get back to you when I might be prepared to buy.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
chriswebbmagic
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of chriswebbmagic
Michael Ammar's third ball appearance in cups and balls is clean. So is Ateve Bedwell's Reboxed and one more, jbtv's Heartbeat

All the best,
Chris Webb
www.ChrisWebbVault.com

Creator of: Coffee Shot, Flash, Fickle and RE.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Quote:
On 2004-04-01 06:07, Alan Gold wrote:
One thing...I have seen it referred to several times in the Café since joining a week ago, but I have to ask...what the heck is a Hot Shot Cut Revelation? Just wondering.
Alan

The Hot Shot Cut is a twisting one handed cut that ends with a card being shot from between the two packets. The card twists out and "spins like a buzz saw", to quote Jay Sankey.
Alan Morgan
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Alan Morgan
Healed and Sealed, Brainwave effects, sponge balls...
Mogwai II
View Profile
Veteran user
The Alpes
314 Posts

Profile of Mogwai II
Sponge Bunnies (Ammar)
Sponge Bunnies (Ammar)
Sponge Bunnies (Ammar)

Don't now, I kind a hate these little ***s... ;-)
But sometimes it's really depressing: I show them first the bunnies and they freak out. I'm sure a LOT of you had that experience... (last night a girl screamed at me when she opened her hand, tossed the bunnies far away, stood up and run away) Sometimes I think I should skip them. After the bunnies I do a really nice AC routine, which ends after a glass again and again. The reaction is nice, but nothing to compare with these little ***s... Smile
"You'll wonder when he comes, you'll wonder more when he's gone..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Your favorite eye candy magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL