The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » "Imp-Pass" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Kokot
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of John Kokot
I would appreciate learning what DVDs contain footage of someone -- anyone -- performing or explaining Slydini's "Imp-Pass" (Leon Nathanson. "Slydini Encores." 1966; and Karl Fulves. "The Best of Slydini . . . and More". 1976). The videos may be of Slydini himself executing the move in his unique manner, or of someone trying to emulate his idiosyncratic style, or of a magician taking an entirely different approach to the sleight. I'm more interested in the what than the who.

I especially want to see how performers deal with the timing of the move -- commencing with the moment their left hand grasps the concealed object and ending with the moment the left hand emerges, having secretly completed transferring the object to the right hand. "Slydini Encores" asserts that the timing is "all in one single, continuous motion, immediately." That's how it reads, but how does it look to the spectators? Do all practitioners of the move utilize similar timing?

(A disclaimer: A cursory search of the Café reveals that, regardless of question, answers to inquiries about Slydini often evolve into a discussion of whether his moves are so woven into his performing persona that they cannot be utilized by other magicians. For example, I once asked a question about the dates two Slydini routines were published, and received a reply stating that it depended on whether I wanted to perform the trick like Slydini ! Although this stylistic debate has considerable merit, it's not the subject here. I'm looking for something much more pedestrian: a mere list of DVDs containing magicians performing a specific sleight.)

Thank you for your help.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1055 Posts

Profile of Leo H
The best answer I can give you is to go on Youtube and watch Slydini's performances on the Dick Cavett PBS programs. You will be able to spot him doing the Imp Pass, Revolve, and other moves. Pay particular attention to the One Coin routine because Slydini throws it all into that effect.
SmileAndNod
View Profile
Veteran user
315 Posts

Profile of SmileAndNod
Most performances I've seen are pretty bad to be honest. Yann Frisch does it really well.

If you're trying to learn it though, I suggest you buy The Master of Misdirection (http://www.lybrary.com/the-master-of-misdirection-p-2729.html) as it explains the beats and relaxations of the move perfectly. The biggest issue I see with people doing the move is leaving the hand resting on the table like a stone for way too long, and then bringing the other hand up to meet it. If you watch Slydini you'll notice the receiving hand only stops for a beat on the table before being lifted up again. The choreography of the move is extremely important.
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of snushy
Seek out the books and instruction of Dennis Barlotta. He was Slydini's longest tenured student, and can perform and teach Slydini's entire repertoire, close-up and stage.
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
658 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
For a different approach, David Roth has the Frontal Imp Pass. Achieves the same thing but with different actions and timing. Called frontal as you are sat facing the table rather than at an angle.
Found in his book and I think Volume 4 of his ultimate coin videos (not the expert coin magic made easy series).
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27031 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
See Roth about a portable hole, then Jerry Deutsch about how personality/character changes/drives actions.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
William Dee
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of William Dee
I think the Frontal IMP pass is in Kaufman' s CoinMagic as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » "Imp-Pass" (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL