The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Reverse Psychology by Rick Lax (Instant Download) (42 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
gnomad
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of gnomad
Rick is pretty upfront about the history on this, and his input re: the variation and psychological tweaks.
It's a nice twist, and the Olram how-to very well explained.

Also: let's take the name-calling crap elsewhere. Please.
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Definitely going to buy this one I like Rick laxs stuff
magic maniac
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
Do it Karl, you won't be disappointed. It's self-working, so you can focus entirely on the presentation.
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
880 Posts

Profile of e-man
Fans of the Olram move may wish to look into Daryls work on this plot Smile
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I am still not clear what the routine is...
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Rick has long claimed that he is not much of a performer and I fear his recent releases have proven this to be true.

He had an effect with a non-examinable tarot deck which is essentially useless in real close-up performances because people WANT to look at tarot cards.

Then his teaching for Close Call was incomplete and incorrect which suggested he hadn't really performed it.

And now this trick in which he's bizarrely decided to draw attention to unexaminable cards. I agree he's come up with a nice presentation, but for real people this method and presentation don't work together. The reason Nick Trost's trick worked is because spectators were only interested in one card, their selection, which they could examine. Here he's made ALL the cards a subject of interest. People want to see how they were "psychologically manipulated." If you only perform for webcams and demo videos this isn't a problem. If you perform around real people who are interested in what you're showing them then you're completely out of luck
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On May 5, 2016, Chamberlain wrote:
I also bought this for Ricks handling and whilst I know the original, the fun phrasing on the cards I feel really adds to the effect.

I've changed the words on the cards slightly, the ones I use are (written on blank face cards):
X
:) (smiley face)
Pick Me
Don't Pick Me
?
[Left Blank]
Heart Shape
Yes!
No!
FREE BEER

Thanks, these are excellent! I really didn't like his choices, your's work better for me.
drstevemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Addicted to For Sale Forum so only have
265 Posts

Profile of drstevemagic
Quote:
On May 5, 2016, Joe Roberts wrote:
Rick has long claimed that he is not much of a performer and I fear his recent releases have proven this to be true.

He had an effect with a non-examinable tarot deck which is essentially useless in real close-up performances because people WANT to look at tarot cards.

Then his teaching for Close Call was incomplete and incorrect which suggested he hadn't really performed it.

And now this trick in which he's bizarrely decided to draw attention to unexaminable cards. I agree he's come up with a nice presentation, but for real people this method and presentation don't work together. The reason Nick Trost's trick worked is because spectators were only interested in one card, their selection, which they could examine. Here he's made ALL the cards a subject of interest. People want to see how they were "psychologically manipulated." If you only perform for webcams and demo videos this isn't a problem. If you perform around real people who are interested in what you're showing them then you're completely out of luck

COME ON; DON'T BE SO SHY --TELL US HOW YOU REALLY FEEL! (rough day at work? someone run over your dog?)
Michael Mindreader
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Michael Mindreader
Not sure what's new in this one. I do like the presentation though. It's better (in my opinion) than using red and blue cards. Is it really an improvement? I am not sure..
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On May 6, 2016, drstevemagic wrote:
Quote:

COME ON; DON'T BE SO SHY --TELL US HOW YOU REALLY FEEL! (rough day at work? someone run over your dog?)

Had I made an emotional critique of this effect your bizarre response may have made sense. All I did was point out that putting more attention on something that's not examinable is maybe not the best idea.
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On May 5, 2016, e-man wrote:
Fans of the Olram move may wish to look into Daryls work on this plot Smile

If you perform it like Daryl does in his lecture notes, it becomes magic rather than mentalism....HOWEVER, you are correct, it's still worth looking into and Daryl's subtle display of showing them all the same on the back is indeed nice. Not sure if that is his idea or not, but it's great.
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
If nothing else it has reminded everyone the strength of 8 card brainwave. I used to perform it years ago but gradually pushed it aside for other material.

If you're doing trade shows you could write 10 benefits of the company and they pick one and show that's the one you predicted. I'm performing at a networking event next week for a major hotel chain and going to use it for that.

An alternative idea I read about on the Café is using drink-backed playing cards for 8 card brainwave i.e coke backed cards mixed with budweiser cards. Opens yourself up to nice patter if they choose the only non-alcohol card "I guess that makes you the designated driver" etc

Trouble was I couldn't find any suitable drink playing cards that matched each other well enough to do it :/
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Quote:

I just bought it and watched it. Rick definately shows loads of ways to handle examindability so I don't know what your talking about mate. It is a non Issue so I think you maybe don't have this trick yet.
baller08
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of baller08
Quote:

Interesting. Rick clearly explains in the tutorial why your spectators should not be asking to examine those cards. And I 100% agree with him as to the reasons why based on very real world experience. Truth be told, experienced, engaging, relatable, attractive and high social IQ performers don't really have to worry about props being examinable very often. Only inexperience performers or people who aren't very relatable to the general population have that problem.

So ironically, even though you said Rick has claim he isn't much of a performer, he sure doesn't act like it.

I'll even go as far as to say, I'll perform this (or any other effect where items being examine is a concern) 100 times and I'll give you $20 for every time someone asks to see the props and you give me $5 for every time someone doesn't and I might have to pay you once.
Baller
baller08@gmail.com
"People do not believe what they see, they see what they believe"
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Examing the cards doesn't come into it.

Simple as that.

Also, to me , Rick seems a very capable & engaging performer.

Mike Donoghue
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
I'm going to be quite upfront and say I owe rick an apology. I was quite damming of this effect (I think because I have a general feeling that a lot of releases add nothing; I still do in fact but this isn't one of them). However the fact is; I gave an opinion based on what I thought I knew and not what I did know. having actually watched this now, I think the release is a fair one. Yes it uses an old move but Rick teaches it well, performs it live and does add a touch that makes the presentation work and whilst the brainwave is a good trick; I think this presentation makes more sense but without this subtlety it would not work as well. Its a small idea but a good idea. So the lesson of the story; I don't know; look before you leap, don't say anything if you don't have anything nice to say or most likely; don't be a d**k about a trick before you've seen it.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On May 9, 2016, baller08 wrote:

Interesting. Rick clearly explains in the tutorial why your spectators should not be asking to examine those cards. And I 100% agree with him as to the reasons why based on very real world experience. Truth be told, experienced, engaging, relatable, attractive and high social IQ performers don't really have to worry about props being examinable very often. Only inexperience performers or people who aren't very relatable to the general population have that problem.

So ironically, even though you said Rick has claim he isn't much of a performer, he sure doesn't act like it.

I'll even go as far as to say, I'll perform this (or any other effect where items being examine is a concern) 100 times and I'll give you $20 for every time someone asks to see the props and you give me $5 for every time someone doesn't and I might have to pay you once.

I have no trouble believing that your spectators are completely disinterested in what you show them. Unfortunately when I show people something I end up capturing their interest and attention. If I said the messages on the cards were psychologically influencing them then I'M the one drawing attention to the cards. And if they were disinterested in taking a look at the cards and reviewing what was written on them after, that would suggest a disinterest in me or what I'm showing them.

In ANY OTHER activity someone NOT showing interest in something you asked them to would be sad or embarrassing. Only the fragile ego of magicians have been able to turn a lack of interest into a positive thing.

I'm wondering which response you would want if you were REALLY doing this and it wasn't a trick:
Response 1: That's interesting. [moves on to another topic of conversation]
Response 2: Oh, that's so weird. At first I was drawn to this card but then I thought that's the one you were trying to get me to name so I switched it. [Looks through the cards to try and find the rationale for why they chose the one they did.]

Of course if you were REALLY doing it you would want the person you're showing it to to express an interest in these cards you're showing her. Only because we're faking it do we want them to act differently.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On May 9, 2016, Joe Roberts wrote:

In ANY OTHER activity someone NOT showing interest in something you asked them to would be sad or embarrassing. Only the fragile ego of magicians have been able to turn a lack of interest into a positive thing.

...Of course if you were REALLY doing it you would want the person you're showing it to to express an interest in these cards you're showing her. Only because we're faking it do we want them to act differently.

Joe, I'm not sure I can agree with you on this one. I worked in Hollywood Magic for years and got to do magic all day long for thousands of people, both laymen and magicians alike. We would always study if and when someone "got grabby" (as we would call it) for wanting to see or examine something we were performing with. This was always a concern as we eventually discovered that meant that we hadn't treated something fairly enough or resolved the mental conflicts that created unnecessary heat on the object in question. Through good routining and additional psychological work we were always able to eliminate the issue. It simply became a matter of skill and training. The goal is to create a very strong effect while at the same time guiding the spectators away from the method. I'm using Reverse Psychology now and it is no exception.
Ray Pierce
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
I don't think a spectator not wanting to grab props equates to lack of interest; I think it means you have showed the cards fairly and they are beyond suspicion. However if its a concern, the way the trick is structured means you can put the cards away in your pocket; well before the end reveal and then move on to the next trick.
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of On The Offbeat
If ending clean is something anyone feels they must do for this trick, then don't slam the trick, find a way to end clean that you're happy with.
99% of the time you end up eventually discarding whatever clean up method you devised because you discover you almost never need to use it.
That's been my experience anyway. So now I just ignore my magicians' guilt and not worry about it unless it really does present a problem in actual use, which is pretty much never.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Reverse Psychology by Rick Lax (Instant Download) (42 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL