We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Walkaround Mind Power Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Hi friends,

Just wanted to see if any strollers out there had tips for displaying the Mind Power deck in situations where you cannont ribbon-spread the cards on a table. A fan in the hand just doesn't seem to have the same "free-choice" power as spreading them all out.

I posted this in the mentalism forum, but didn't get many creative suggestions.

Any thoughts?
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
Have you tried riffling the cards slowly and asking the person to "think of one as you go through the cards". Just riffle the corner (like a Svengali deck, but only with one corner of the deck). Make sure they are satisfied with their choice. Offer to do it again. Maybe not as strong as the ribbon spread, but it works.
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Karl,

I have thought of that, but then I thought that it's pretty easy to force a card that way with a regular deck, you know? It just doesn't seem to take advantage of the power of the deck: openly displaying all "52" cards at once for the selection.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
asmayly
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
296 Posts

Profile of asmayly
A bold move is to give the deck to the spec and have him go through the cards himself.

I've done it and it seems to work. You have to rush him a bit--"to quickly look at one card so as not to get too many images in his mind".

You show him one index first to see all the different cards there are, and then just hand him the deck straight across as simple as you can.
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Asmayly,

Great idea. I will try it. Of course I'll have to block the back at the same time, since I am implying that the deck is the same Bicycle deck I have been using for my other effects.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
asmayly
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
296 Posts

Profile of asmayly
"Of course I'll have to block the back at the same time,since I am implying that the deck is the same Bicycle deck I have been using for my other effects."

Riiiiight ;-) or just put a bicycle card at the top because he'll start looking from the bottom when you hand the deck to him anyway.
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Is there anyway to make a Mind Power Deck Bicycle? I don't have it but it looks amazing. The only problem is when you don't use bikes, people think trick cards. And there is nothing you can do about it. Even when I use bikes people acuse me. For example, I had two deck, a normal, and an ID with me. I lent the normal one to a friend and performed the ID during that time. People accused me of using a trick deck. There was nothing I could do about so I didn't do anything, just put the cards away. Everyone started saying that I couldn't do it again because it is a trick deck. I just don't want that experience with the Mind Power Deck. Also, could someone give a review of it? I can't seem to find any reviews of it.
carlomagic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of carlomagic
Hello there,

Cardsbymartin.com offer to split the backs of the MPD and put Bicycle Rider Backs on for $150. I am really keen on the idea, too, and PalmBeachGuy has already had this process done and is very happy with the results. I am interested to know if there are any other sources that could get this done. I share your concerns, it is those subtleties that really matter, and I also want to be able to handle the cards in exactly the same way as I would with a normal deck.

As for a review; I haven't used the deck but I have seen it performed several times, by different people. Derren Brown used one on his Devli's Picture Book video and the presentation idea he used was fantastic. The performer really does what he says, and with the right presentation it is close enough to actual 'mind reading' for me! I am even considering the $150 version (although I am keen on finding a cheaper source!) - that is how highly I rate it as a tool.

Finally, the deck can be used as a mentaist's tool (almost no attention to the 'props' whatsoever with a focus purely on MIND - see Osterlind's Radar Deck demo)or it can be used, as I intend, as part of a card or close-up routine.

Well worth the money then, if you ask me.

Just a shame about those darn backs...

Best regards,

Carlo
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
Asmayly-

What a wonderful idea! I will have to try it! Thanks for sharing!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Walkaround Mind Power Deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL