We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Widow's Mite (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3829 Posts

Profile of The Curator

Witnessing the donations made by the rich men, Jesus highlights how a poor widow donates only two mites, the least valuable coins available at the time. But, Jesus observes, this sum was everything she had to her name, while the other people give only a small portion of their own wealth.

In the passage immediately preceding this in both gospel accounts, Jesus is portrayed as condemning the religious leaders who feign piety, accept honor from people, and steal from widows (perhaps feigning piety in order to gain the trust of widows, and thereby gain access to their assets). Although most Christians understand this as criticism of the actions of certain individuals, racist groups have historically argued[citation needed] that the passages in question justify anti-semitism, particularly as the Gospel of Mark argues that severe punishment awaits those who follow such action (Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesson_of_the_widow%27s_mite )

The mention of the scene appears in Luke XXI, 1-4 and in Mark XII, 41-44. The coins are called Prutah or Leptons. Two of those coins are at the Surnateum. When you try to separate them, one way or another they come back together.
One day I was handling the 2 coins and reading Luke at the same time. I had a curious feeling in the hand, and when I opened it, 3 coins were lying there.
But when I read Mark, an hunderd coins appeared...
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
[
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3829 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Yes, that's the reason I almost stop to post anything. Only once in a while...

On the other side, my activity increases since I'm part of "Persona étrangement humain", the biggest exposition at Paris'Musée of Quai Branly, one of the most important ethnography museum in Europe.

PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
We are, each of us, Prince Dakkar.

Thank you, Curator. As always, extraordinary work.
Phasmologist
morgaine_le_fey
View Profile
Veteran user
Montreal, Canada
391 Posts

Profile of morgaine_le_fey
I read Joyce and I got a headache! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Widow's Mite (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL