The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Set list for a Cruise Ship (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Stephen Wilbury
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Stephen Wilbury
I'm trying to build my hour up into a cruise ship act. I was wondering if you all had any direction or pointers for cruise shows. I know I need about an hour and then another half hour I bill myself as a comedy magician juggler. So I've got a mix of skill juggling, magic and stunts.

My current set is:
Contact Juggling Routine 5 min
Chop Cup 8min
Silly Diabolo Routine, 5 min
Human Blockhead combination trick (think nail in nose with extra bits), 8 min
Torn and Restored String 5 min
Needle Swallow 5 Min
Bill in Lemon 8

For about 35-40 minutes

I was thinking off adding in some kind of mentalism thing e.g. prediction chest as well

Is that a good line up for a cruise show??? thanks in advance
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I can't say "yes" and I can't say "no." It all depends on how you perform your act. So far the best person to answer your question is you. Put clippings of your act on YouTube so others can see what you are talking about.
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
If your serious about putting together a cruise act, the first thing I would do is take a cruise. Your questions and many other curiositys will be answered by setting sail on the high seas. You may find out that motion sickness sucks!!
Stephen Wilbury
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Stephen Wilbury
Thanks for the response. I don't have any clips at the moment that are of the quality I want to show. I'll get back with some stuff once I'm done shining it all up.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Also different cruise lines and EDs want/seek different things. Many times they may want you to MC a performance separate format your show or variations. Some lines like multi-fected acts. Also it depends on the demographics of the cruise itself. A Disney or family cruise would be approached different forma singles cruise or a 55 & older style cruise. Flexibility and having an arsenal full of performance materials and variations arm you with may be expected.

Just creating a set show with certain tricks is very limiting. Cruise lines are a professional market and hire some of the best performers from around the world, so you must first get yourself to that level. It's much more than just having a show and submiting your demo. It's also much more than a show, its a lifestyle.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Based on the question I am not really certain you are ready.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yup! I agree with Danny.

A few years ago at Magic Inc. in Chicago, a young man asked an old pro. how much he should charge for trade show work. The old timer replied, "When you are ready to work a trade show, you won't need to ask that question."
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea Dick Heba used to say "if you have to ask the question you are probably not ready to hear the answer".

The answers are not evasive, elitist or mean. They are just statements of truth.

My meaning was more that I think there needs to be more experience gained prior to the OP being ready. I could be wrong. But generally once you have enough experience you know those answers.

Sort of like those puzzle boxes that one you are good enough to get in them you ate ready for the information in them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey! I haven't even heard Heba's NAME in years! He sure was a "one of a kind" guy!

Remember his sign on the cash register? (GTFM)

I agree with your thoughts on this.

I WOULD question use of the BLOCKHEAD. I doubt it would be "accepted" by a cruise ship audience.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Mindpro, Dick & Danny... thank you for considerately stating what I was trying to find a way to articulate. Years ago when I was acting as a Magic Advisor for some tv shows and films I would get guys that came in to Hollywood Magic and tell me they just got hired to advise on a film, so what should they do. My answer was usually to hire someone that had the experience to already know that answer.

For Stephen, there are so many types of cruise ships now that it requires a very specific understanding of each demographic. When I was doing ships I worked mostly the older money cruises where it was a more sophisticated audience. On the other hand many of my friends that did a more of a comedy style act would book what were affectionately called "Booze Cruises" which catered to a younger and rowdier clientele. Do your research and let the market dictate the material. Master it in clubs and other low pressure performance venues before taking out to sea as there is only one chance to make a first impression in those markets.
Ray Pierce
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On May 8, 2016, Ray Pierce wrote:
Mindpro, Dick & Danny... thank you for considerately stating what I was trying to find a way to articulate.

Kind, considerate, courteous, compassionate and sensitive are what we try to offer and provide in every post we share. It so nice to see someone recognize us for this here. You are a very wise and astute person Ray Pierce.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Ray rocks -

Love his advice and wisdom
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Some things to think about....

There are magicians who work cruise ships, and jugglers who work cruise ships. Why try to be both? Perhaps you could be the "Magic Juggler" and work on routines that combine magic and juggling. I know you were asking about levitations in the illusion thread as an addition to the contact juggling. That's a great idea. Linking Rings that you can also juggle? Billiard Ball Manipulation and Juggling? That could be something really neat.

Magic wise... the Bill in Lemon is the most commercial trick that you have listed in your set. The "torn and restored string" and needle swallow both sound a bit small for stage. Chop Cup isn't really a stage trick either.. but could work.

My initial thoughts. Wishing you luck!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you bill yourself as that it confuses bookers and makes it tough to nail down exactly what it is you do.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Danny... which part do you agree with? "Comedy Magician & Juggler" yes, I agree. But a "Magic Juggler" could be a truly unique act that could really set someone apart.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is nowhere unique. It would not set apart anyone. Just Google magician juggler.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
That's why I was suggesting something unique... a "Magic Juggler" that blends magic and juggling together.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Again Google is your friend. It is not new.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I googled. I found a contact juggler that does a little bit of a floating ball as part of his routine. That's about it. I'm sure there is more out there.

I haven't seen many acts that blend magic and juggling together. Most are jugglers who do magic, or magicians who juggle. Which frankly.. that works too. Plenty of pro's getting good work that way.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That begs the question on what exactly you base such an opinion?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Set list for a Cruise Ship (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL