The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Tapered cups vs round top cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1721 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Is there a practical difference between a round top cup, such as the Johnny Paul cups, and a tapered cup like the Johny Paul tapered cup? Is it just that the round top makes the load look larger, (as suggested in another post I read, or is there a difference in the handling?
While we're on the subject, is there any advantage to having 3 beads on a cup rather than 1 or 2?
For some unknown reason, I've really gotten into the C&Bs, and really enjoying it, but am a bit confused.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1119 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Hi Jake,
A rounded top cup, like the Paul Fox Cup, does make it easier for you to do several moves with the cups. Tip off, elevator, scoop off, etc, are all moves that manipulate a ball nested between two cups. These moves are harder to do with a tapered cup.
Shoulder bead placement will affect how much attic space a set of cups will have, but the number of beads rolled into a cup is mostly an aesthetic design issue and doesn't affect the function of the cup. In a spun set of cups, a rolled mouth bead provides additional strength and rigidity to the mouth of the cup and dresses the edge. It doesn't affect the function of the cup for most performers.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think you may be confused about Johnny Paul cups. Johnny Paul cups are tapered. PAUL FOX cups are rounded.

If you assume that the mouth diameter of two different cups (one rounded, one tapered) are the same, the rounded top cup will be able to hold a larger final load. The first photos and drawings at http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com/museum/roundedcups.htm show the difference. I did not point out that the diameter of the tapered cup on the left of the Paul Fox cup has a larger mouth diameter.

Otherwise, Donnie is spot on about the ease of handling various moves with rounded top cups vs. tapered cups. The elevator move is much easier to do, and so is the "roll back."

Regarding the number of rings on a cup, I don't find much difference in the ease of handling a cup with 1, 2, or 3 rings. You may find that the ring spacing on a Sherwood cup feels better to you. The main functions of the shoulder beads are to provide a space between the cups when they are stacked and to keep the cups from sticking together.

If you are really interested in the cups and balls, go to the cups and balls museum. Follow the instructions on the index page to obtain a free username and password. You will find much of interest there.

Quote:
On May 7, 2016, jakeg wrote:
Is there a practical difference between a round top cup, such as the Johnny Paul cups, and a tapered cup like the Johny Paul tapered cup? Is it just that the round top makes the load look larger, (as suggested in another post I read, or is there a difference in the handling?
While we're on the subject, is there any advantage to having 3 beads on a cup rather than 1 or 2?
For some unknown reason, I've really gotten into the C&Bs, and really enjoying it, but am a bit confused.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1721 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Thank you both, Danny & Bill for so clearly answering my questions.
I'm now using a very old, but nice looking, set of Abbott's tapered cups, given to me about 45 years ago. For reasons unknown to me, I would really like to get a set of quality cups, and looking for a reason to justify it. I have to sell off some other stuff first. Since retiring, money has become somewhat scarce.
By the way Bill, I do spend time on the museum site, which I really enjoy, but somehow this page has eluded me.
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On May 7, 2016, Bill Palmer wrote:
I think you may be confused about Johnny Paul cups. Johnny Paul cups are tapered. PAUL FOX cups are rounded.

If you assume that the mouth diameter of two different cups (one rounded, one tapered) are the same, the rounded top cup will be able to hold a larger final load. The first photos and drawings at http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com/museum/roundedcups.htm show the difference. I did not point out that the diameter of the tapered cup on the left of the Paul Fox cup has a larger mouth diameter.

Otherwise, Donnie is spot on about the ease of handling various moves with rounded top cups vs. tapered cups. The elevator move is much easier to do, and so is the "roll back."

Regarding the number of rings on a cup, I don't find much difference in the ease of handling a cup with 1, 2, or 3 rings. You may find that the ring spacing on a Sherwood cup feels better to you. The main functions of the shoulder beads are to provide a space between the cups when they are stacked and to keep the cups from sticking together.

If you are really interested in the cups and balls, go to the cups and balls museum. Follow the instructions on the index page to obtain a free username and password. You will find much of interest there.

Quote:

FYI - the link you provided requires a username and password in order to view it. As we don't know what that is, the link is useless to all those who don't have them.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Quote:
On May 8, 2016, Tally_NSA wrote:
FYI - the link you provided requires a username and password in order to view it. As we don't know what that is, the link is useless to all those who don't have them.

From inside that block you quoted:
Quote:
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1721 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Thanks guys. I am on the Museum site, and do go on it. It is, as far as I'm concerned, the primo learning source on the web. The only thing that might compare is hands on experience.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The instructions for receiving a username and password are on that page. All you need to do is follow them.

Quote:
On May 8, 2016, Tally_NSA wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Tapered cups vs round top cups (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL