The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Practice. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chickens and Beandip
View Profile
New user
Canada
83 Posts

Profile of Chickens and Beandip
HOw many of you are practicing as you read this forum. I at the moment are not but generally I will have something while browsing the forums. I always practice card techniques while watching the tube.
Any other interesting places and times people practice?
Or do you just set a certain amount of time and practice hardcore infront of a mirror.

late.
B)
frank
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore, MD
109 Posts

Profile of frank
C&B:

When I'm walking around as a tourist or
in a shopping mall, I'll typically mess around
with a single coin and some sleights. Not
performing for anyone... just running through
all the coin sleights that I know.

I'll even try certain sleights that I want to
try under pressure. For instance, I may do a
sleight while walking over a grate in the side
walk. If I mess up, the coin drops through the
grate and I lose it.

It's a fun way to mess around... Smile

frank
FREE 5 Day Get Your First Restaurant Show Email Mini Course - to sign up...
Send a Blank Email Here:[email]freemagicinfo@getresponse.com[/email]
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Been doing magic for 35 years, and STILL practice every day. Something. Even stuff I know well. Go figure, eh? Smile That said...

The more you practice something, the better you get at it, providing the parameters are kept. In other words, when you DO perform, the problem then becomes the: angles, timing (my problem), gaps between your fingers (I also have that problem), and, although angles were mentioned, perspective... where are your spectators, above you, below you? Are there others looking from farther away, and can see what you're doing? Questions that have taken me a LONG time to eventually ask.

Practice is very important, and so is a video camera. A simple camcorder can show you errors a mirror cannot, and then there's the good old trusty standby, a friend. A friend can say, "I saw it", or say, "Lower your hand a bit, THERE! Now I can't see it..."...

I have a couple of trusted friends, who are BRUTALLY honest, and when I can fool them, I know I've got about a month of practice to go, LOL (see my other post on practice for that quote)!

Cheers!

Doug
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
I always have 4 silver halves with me... when I'm walking the dog, I'm running through my palms and transfers... walking the shopping mall, same thing.

Sometimes I carry 3 or 4 small balls and practice my palms and pop-ups...

Or I'll carry a deck of cards and practice my lifts and stock controls...

One thing I have been doing with my mirror practice is tipping the mirror back a little bit. It changes the angle and simulates the view a seated spec will have if you are performing walk around/table hopping.

I also use a 3-way mirror regularly to check angles, especially on concealments and hold outs...
Learn something new everyday.
Tspall
View Profile
Regular user
Lumberton, NC
147 Posts

Profile of Tspall
I'll sometimes practice card or coin effects while sitting at the computer. I always carry several coins with me to work and will sometimes see if I can hold them while doing other things. TV time is also practice time. It's a good way for me to review old effects and keep them fresh in my mind, but I won't do that for learning a new effect. That gets my total attention.
:spinningcoin:
Tony
"It's showtime!!"
My magic blog:
http://ahora_mismo.blogspot.com/
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
This topic has been locked as this has been discussed before. Please click on the following link to go to post to the other topic.

For those of you who have posted above, please copy and resubmit in the redirected topic. Staff will delete this topic in 30 days on 04/15/04.

Thank you.

Practice Topic
Coram Deo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Practice. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL