We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Starting Out For Party's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SuperMagic
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of SuperMagic
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but if not please move it to the right place. Now, I'm not sure if I should start doing party's for kids. I was thinking about it and alot of my friends say that I'm very good and that I should start out doing party's. Atleast for half an hour to an hour the most. I have been doing card magic for about 6 years now, but I know I'm gonna have to get some props and stuff for kids and how to make balloon animals and stuff. What are some of the things I need to know and have before starting out for party's?
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
OH LORDY! you need to know a bunch of stuff. But the good news is that there is a lot of help out there. Start by getting David Ginn's books and tapes on "kidsBiz" as he calls it. There is a lot of good info on what effects works with kids and what will go over their heads. Also what age kids are you going for? I always ask that when booking a party because some of my effects will go right by a 5 y.o. and be loved by the b8 to 9 y.o. Also what a 5 y.o. likes will bore the world out of 7 or 8 y.o.

Certain age groups will harrass you with "I know how to do that." No you can not use them as a target in Penn & Teller's routine of catching a bullet. The thought may cross your mind after the ..... kid has said this for evry effect you have done for the last half hour, but yoy just are not allowed to do that. It is just one of those things that kids entertainers don't tell you until you have started to do kids shows.

Get tricks that are fun, use funny patter, and watch the attention span of the little kids so you don't lose them. Don't be afraid to have loud surprises when appropriate and watch the little ones laugh and enjoy life and the magic you bring to them.

Entertaining kids is a great way to go and I hope you enjoy being a kids entertainer half as much as I do.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Agree with Peter,
kids are a demanding, but a unbelivable honest crowd,
I'v learned so much by trying to handle them, here we're talking Audience Management(!).
I would suggest you to start of by searching for visual stunning routines like color changes, sponges and D'lites.

Post the same thread in the forum: "The little darlings".
I think you can get a lot of great advice there..

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
snedglow
View Profile
New user
Pine Grove, PA
94 Posts

Profile of snedglow
Another piece of advice that I can recommend:

Invest in Dave Dee's "Magic Marketing for Magicians".
You can find it at www.davedee.com

Also, check out what Eric Paul has to offer at www.epmagic.com His marketing course is a derivative of Dave's and both are excellent.

Do what they say and you will book shows.

-R
-Randy
[email]rsnedden@closeupmagic.org[/email]
Smile
~~~~~
“Chance is but the pseudonym of God for those particular cases which He does not choose to subscribe to openly with His own signature ... ”
Babymagician
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Babymagician
Just go for it and do it.
You will learn from your mistakes over time.
Good luck!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Starting Out For Party's (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL