We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Strolling Through Restaurants (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Adammcd
View Profile
Regular user
Greensburg PA
132 Posts

Profile of Adammcd
Balloons - I thought was a good skill to have but it does get in the way of my magic which I appreciate doing more now, though, because of the balloons ... if that makes sense. Balloons became the bane of my existance.

Sorry if I was unclear

Peace out
Adam
The last thing you ever expected, should have been the first.
radiantentertainment
View Profile
Regular user
Donald Collins
112 Posts

Profile of radiantentertainment
(1)
I prefer to cold call a restaurant and say that I am a professional magician who frequents ___________'s establishment and I believe that they could benefit from my services. I offer the restaurant one night of magic at no cost. I then perform for about a hour for the restaurant. I really ham up the applause for the audition night. I let every table know that it is my audition night and that if they enjoyed the show to let someone wearing a tie know! If they didn't enjoy the show I hope they enjoy their meal and to please leave quietly! The management is always flooded with positive feedback.
After the dinner rush is done I ask for a few minutes of the managers time. Make sure you perform on a night that the decision maker is the manager on duty. I then let the manager know that I do no pick pocketing routines, that I do not solicit tips, and I bill myself as a goodwill ambassador.
I then demonstrate how I approach a table, a routine, and how I thank the patrons for their visit and request a return visit. My routines are geared to cause repeat customers as well. Bring this card back with you next time and I will do __________ with it! I then ask if the manager has any questions or fears about having a house magician. Hopefully then you begin talking about contracts.

(2)
Do not perform for tips alone! <-can not be stressed enough!
You are affecting a market that some make a full time living in. If one magi performs for tips alone and another asks for 60 dollars a hour who do you think will get the gig. The magi performing for tips alone probably does not need the gig. The magi charging a fee is probably relying on magic for his living. Who do you think needs the gig? After gaining a magician at no cost that manager and restaurant has a warped perspective of the value of magic.
You are also selling yourself short. After years of practice and thousands of dollars invested in materials don't you believe that your skilled profession is worth a fee? If the restaurant will not pay you, do not perform there. Any other promo or advertising will cost a fair amount! The restaurant pays for advertising, they pray for good public relations. Hence, good will ambassador a answer to those prayers.

(3)
I do accept tips. I refuse politly the first time it is offered and suggest giving it to the server! 90% of the time the patron insists on giving me a tip. I do ham up the tips by leaving something at every table. Balloon animals are my biggest tip gainers. My second best tip gainers are my routines for couples. If you make the man look like a million bucks he will give you some bucks. Leave a signed card as a momento of the magical moment, a rubber band, just leave something physical and you will probably gain a tip.

(4)
Don't just hand out your card. Make it part of a routine and make it memorable. This is one more physical thing that you can leave at the table to help your tips. The restaurant should be a spring board for more lucrative gigs. You have to get your name out there.
Life is not a dress rehearsal!
Less is more.
&
Knock'em dead!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Strolling Through Restaurants (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL