The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Using Malls As A Lead Generator (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Before you turned it into a discussion about 2 specific malls it was about the industry in general.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Before you turned it into a discussion about 2 specific malls it was about the industry in general.

Please be more clear, before I added any thought to this discussion? Yes, it was about malls in general. I was merely pointing out that some malls are doing well. Do you agree with that or no?

Or did you mean when I said "Touristy Malls" and then replied with more specific examples from 2 of them? Have you been to others like the Mills Malls, King of Prussia, etc. and see another trend (as in a decline?). I haven't been to a Mills Mall in a year or so, but on my last visits the ones in Baltimore, Dallas, and Nashville seemed to be doing fine as far as visitor count and occupancy. That may have changed though.
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2017, thomasR wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:

Please be more clear, before I added any thought to this discussion? Yes, it was about malls in general. I was merely pointing out that some malls are doing well. Do you agree with that or no?

Or did you mean when I said "Touristy Malls" and then replied with more specific examples from 2 of them? Have you been to others like the Mills Malls, King of Prussia, etc. and see another trend (as in a decline?). I haven't been to a Mills Mall in a year or so, but on my last visits the ones in Baltimore, Dallas, and Nashville seemed to be doing fine as far as visitor count and occupancy. That may have changed though.

Even though I'm not currently pursuing what I posted - the malls over here are doing well and not just because of the holidays. As far as I've seen when I visit the malls around here - attendance is consistently the same; less crowded during the mornings, crowded at lunch through afternoon, very crowded from afternoon till close.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of thomasR
The article that states ""The occupancy rates in this industry are still a very, very healthy 93%,"
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8915 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Sure that is the figure you choose to focus on. As I always say here, it is the industry perspective that is most important or significant, not that of those with an agenda and distorted perception. Those numbers come from those trying to lease mall space and are trying to spin a healthy-looking environment to attract more business/leasing.

I choose to follow industry stats from those without a position of benefit (or horse in the race):

Aug 1, 2017 - A study conducted locally showed that 20 shopping malls inaugurated in 2016 are operating with vacancy rates of 55%, which means that over half of the stores are empty.

The announcements made by Macy's and Sears at the beginning of 2017, for example, point to gloomy days for the shopping mall market.

The Mall Vacancy Rate increased 0.2% to 8.1%. Mall Rents also increased 0.4%.Jun 30, 2017

Reis: Mall Vacancy Rate increased in Q2 2017

Posted by Scott Humphrey on Jun 30, 2017

Reis reported that the vacancy rate for regional malls was 8.1% in Q2 2017, up from 7.9% in Q1, and up from 7.9% in Q2 2016..

For Neighborhood and Community malls, the vacancy rate was 10.0% in Q2, up from 9.9% in Q1, and up from 9.8% in Q2 2016. For strip malls, the vacancy rate peaked at 11.1% in Q3 2011.

From Reis Economist Barbara Byrne Denham:
The Retail Vacancy Rate increased 0.1% in the second quarter to 10.0%. Asking rents increased 0.4% in the quarter that saw new stores opening on par with the number that closed. The Mall Vacancy Rate increased 0.2% to 8.1%. Mall Rents also increased 0.4%.
MallQ22017.jpg

Vacancy Rates Rise at Shopping Centers
Signs of slowdown appear as number of empty storefronts grows

By Esther Fung
Updated Jan. 6, 2017 7:42 a.m. ET

The national retail-property market is showing signs of a slowdown after years of steady growth, according to a report set to be released Friday, as cities and towns across the U.S. grapple with a growing number of empty storefronts.

Vacancy rates in community shopping centers increased in 30 of the 77 U.S. Metro areas last year, compared with 24 in 2015 and 19 in 2014.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2017, thomasR wrote:
The article that states ""The occupancy rates in this industry are still a very, very healthy 93%,"

Cherry pick much?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
954 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
One magician here in the Twin Cities rented a kiosk at a mall for three months attempting to generate leads. I don't believe it was a success - he certainly didn't renew the lease.

I suspect most malls would not be a good place to generate leads. Exceptions would include tourist destinations - like the Mall of America, where they still hire talent regularly for performances.

Hudson
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1926 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
The OP began by discussing “Using Malls as a Lead Generator”. His first post revealed that his initial atempt did not go the way he expected it would, in that only one mall responded - and they seemed only interested in renting him space. That alone is very telling, and combined with the insights Mindpro shared, from his extensive experience, likely not a fruitful venture, at least the way the ibm_usa was intending.

One only needs to google search “mall traffic statistics” to see numerous articles whose headlines tell the story. Here is an interesting one that is specific to mall foot traffic.
https://thasosgroup.com/wp-content/uploa......port.pdf

As Mindpro mentioned, one must consider alternative ways to leverage this market, given the dynamic changes. Of course many of us have performed at malls in front of decent sized crowds, but likely nothing like what Mindpro described from back in the peak years. Additionally, budgets for entertainment is a small fraction of what it once was, and is likely declining significantly each year. Malls are searching for other ways to remain relevant or at least alive.

The tourist area malls are a completely different topic because their needs and interests are unique. Just because they are growing does not mean they are good targets for one looking for a lead generator, especially if the entertainer is not providing a product aimed at tourists during their short visit to the area.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8915 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Plus there is really so much more to this entire story and topic. Almost everyone on this topic is thinking of and approaching the whole idea of the mall market form the same typical, what I call "default business approach." Using this approach, yes there is very little malls have to offer.

However, I am a huge believer in creating our own opportunities based on current conditions or to pave the path to something that doesn't exist. In actuality, that is exactly how I started the whole mall market concept in the 70s. Malls did not have an "entertainment budget" so I knew I had to do two things - 1.) find a way to succeed within their current structure that was currently in place, without them having a budget for entertainment, and 2. educate and show malls and mall management companies reasons to and how to create, utilize and benefit from creating such an entity, and not to see it as expense or expenditure, but as ...(something else let's say).

Too many entertainers stop when they get a "no" or run into a brick wall. To me, that has always been viewed as an opportunity, but of course, this requires a different mentality, mindset and cannot happen within the typical "default" business model.

In truth and in reality, the most successful entertainers I know, move away from the typical default business mentality and model and use creativity and out of the box thinking to create their own opportunities and ultimately their own success.

Malls could still be quite beneficial these days but NOT in the ways performers typically think. I have just one method I offer some of my coaching and consulting clients that even today, in today's current mall market state, can generate thousands or more likely tens of thousands of dollars a year for entertainers - especially kids entertainers. But it requires this shift in thinking, understanding the market and in the business model and approach.

As a promoter and producer, I would not put any time or effort into the mall market today with the conventional approach of seeking bookings or performances from the mall. It is dead and over. Even my time-tested mall events that consistently generated thousands of visitors and tens of thousands of dollars a day in mall revenues, I would not consider doing again today. Many malls still ask, and other than a one-off situation or longtime client, I wouldn't consider it conventionally either. Many of the things that my efforts helped to create in the mall market are now gone or greatly diminished within that industry. It is a different game today. So we must either realize what comprises today's mall market and adapt or create something within that, or look for other markets or opportunities.

This has been an interesting discussion including the directions its taken.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2017, 55Hudson wrote:
One magician here in the Twin Cities rented a kiosk at a mall for three months attempting to generate leads. I don't believe it was a success - he certainly didn't renew the lease.

I suspect most malls would not be a good place to generate leads. Exceptions would include tourist destinations - like the Mall of America, where they still hire talent regularly for performances.

Hudson

The only thing with tourist destinations is does the tourist think of hiring the type of entertainment presented?

I mean if you are a children's entertainer wouldn't 99% of business come locally and not from afar? So if I go to the Mall of America and see a magician I might think to myself "yep want one of those at little Sammy's party", I might not think it hire THAT guy because of cost of getting him to Texas. That may be wrong.

I just don't see the "lead generator" working in my mind. But again that is just me. Even if you are in a local mall and if for some reason it is doing well as opposed to industry trends I think you might be collecting a lot of dead leads to get to one good one. It seems like working harder not smarter. At some level you might as well use the phone book almost.

Just generating "leads" is not really hard. But "leads that lead to something" are an entirely different matter. I would rather have 2 leads that were actually productive than 2,000 random leads.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21190 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 16, 2016, ibm_usa wrote:
So I came up with the idea of contacting a few malls in hopes that I could set up for a day to bring about public awareness of who I am and what I do in a city not too far from where I am. I managed to email the managers, only got a reply from one and was interested the idea but mentioned rates on a space. This struck me as being odd in that I wouldn't expect that. I've never used a mall venue to promote myself before but I thought it would be a good way. Has anyone out there done this?

I just read through this topic, what a waste of energy by the members, commenting on a thought or idea, without getting any further clarity from the original post.

Why does he think it would be a good idea?
What is his action plan?
How would he go about presenting this idea?
What is his market, and how would Malls generate prospects?
Why didn't he contact the corporate office, or ask for a contact at corporate headquarters?
Lastly, why didn't he see the manager in person, with a list of questions, to get some information.

If we had some clarity on these questions, maybe the discussion would be more on generating leads, then whether malls are dead or not.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8915 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Well, he did post a couple of days ago, but you are right and I agree that I have noticed many over the past year will make a post and start a thread and then not return to continue or participate in their own thread. This combined with providing some context I think would elicit more participation and returns.

I too would have been interested to see what he had in mind, his approach and what he was hoping to take away from it. Others can learn from these threads as well, so it's important to remember, just because you (the OP) may have changed your mind and direction, others here may be following with great interest too.
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of thomasR
One way to generate leads in a mall (the regional malls, not the big touristy ones) would be to inquire about renting a cart for advertising only. So the cart would be a glorified billboard in the mall basically.
I've seen businesses do this at malls so I know it's possible. Not sure if there is a price break for using it this way or not.

Obviously, it would depend on what exactly you were marketing, but a birthday / kids show performer could even put a magic set on display and advertise that the birthday child gets this set FREE with a booking or something like that.

When I've looked into renting carts at malls (not for this purpose, for retail) there is usually a 2 or 3-month minimum and it costs $900 - $3,000 per month depending on the time of year, and how busy the mall is. If you had a moderately busy mall, it seems that a proper display could generate 5 bookings a month, which could potentially pay for itself. If it generated 10 bookings a month, it would be worth while.

I realize that's only one possible idea for "Lead Generation" - other ideas would be as simple as renting an advertising sign at the mall or paying for Table Tents / Tray Liners in the food court.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Seems like a dubious proposition to me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Seems like a dubious proposition to me.

Please explain.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The idea that somehow displaying a magic set in a kiosk will somehow generate 5 bookings a month is dubious at best.

If you think it is somehow possible then cool,
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
The idea that somehow displaying a magic set in a kiosk will somehow generate 5 bookings a month is dubious at best.

If you think it is somehow possible then cool,

Ok. Well let me ask this.. do you think any potential for lead generation is available at a mall? If so... what?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I answered it earlier.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Gotcha. Thanks for adding so much to this conversation (that's sarcastic in case you missed it)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Using Malls As A Lead Generator (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL