The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Is using a large final load CONSIDERABLY stronger? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1168 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi all!
Talking one cup routines;
I work with a single cocktail shaker and end up with two final loads, a billiard ball and a tennis ball.
I find this difficult to carry around and I was wondering if using a smaller cup and two golf balls as final load would be much, MUCH weaker?

I do workaround and the billiard balls are ruining all my suit pockets!
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On May 19, 2016, Montana76 wrote:
Hi all!
Talking one cup routines;
I work with a single cocktail shaker and end up with two final loads, a billiard ball and a tennis ball.
I find this difficult to carry around and I was wondering if using a smaller cup and two golf balls as final load would be much, MUCH weaker?

I do workaround and the billiard balls are ruining all my suit pockets!

To answer your question directly: No, the effect on the spectators will not be diminished at all if you use smaller cups, if you follow certain rules about cup sizes and final loads.

Here is Michael Ammar talking about choosing your cups, and why the size of the final load is important in relation to the size of the cups:

He basically confirms that the size of the final load has to be proportionate to the size of the cup, and THAT IF IT IS the effect will be the same no matter what size the cup actually is.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
It's all about size and surprise, not about what it is.
pmarzionna
View Profile
New user
Washington, DC
81 Posts

Profile of pmarzionna
Daryl says the same thing as Ammar: it is important that the size of your final load is adequate to the size of the cups. If it is too small for the cups, audience might think that the load has been there the whole time and they just didn't notice... Just try to remember how amazed you were the first time you saw a melon being produced from a hat, or two billiard balls, almost the size of the cup, being produced from the same cup. I remember being completely amazed. So, in this case, I would say that (relative) size matters...
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1168 Posts

Profile of Montana76
But we are talking smaller loads AND smaller cup. Do you think that would matter?
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I think the real question is perceived impossibility. If it completely fills the cup, and there is enough misdirection to hide the load it won't matter.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
But we are talking smaller loads AND smaller cup. Do you think that would matter?

What? no! We are talking proportionate loads per cup size. Did you not learn anything from the video?
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
The way those cup taper towards the bottom makes that object also appear larger than the cup itself.
If by the logic of bigger cup= bigger load = better ending
then what if you did the cups and balls with buckets that produces watermelons??? I find that to be a funny thought.... I know you are not talking about such extremes but trust that you can make that magic trick fun and suprising. You can find a lime that may be about the size of a golf ball and and that into the mix.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
How about producing a load that is bigger than the cup - it won't fit inside?

I have seen that done, and kind of liked it. It was a street performance.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1168 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Quote:
On May 20, 2016, Tally_NSA wrote:
Quote:

What? no! We are talking proportionate loads per cup size. Did you not learn anything from the video?

I sure did! Thanks! I was addressing John Wills:)
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1168 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Thank you all! Test-drove it on a friend today (who knows the effect) and he was surprised how well it played with a small cup and two golf balls as final loads.
Have a gig tomorrow and I'll try the "light version" with small cup/balls and I'll let you know how it went!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13363 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Size matters to some degree.
Surprise matters to a larger degree.
Solidness matters to some degree as well.

A golf ball at 1.5" diameter (or whatever) probably has more impact than a 2" sponge ball.

A 1.25 inch crochet ball 'final load' probably has little significance after using a 1" crochet ball, so yes, size does matter.

Montana, if I were you, I'd try 2 limes.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
KEN BROOKE preached "It's NOT the size so much as it is the CHANGE."
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8516 Posts

Profile of funsway
Building on Pete's offering one should consider "what comes next."

If this Final Load is the END, then the impact of the "change" will be what is remembered.

However, if you plan on performing something else a less dramatic end may be advisable, or one that segues into the next effect.

A final load of any type is not a requirement for a good "One Cup Routine." Likewise, how you got into the Cup effect may matter.

For example, in a kitchen setting routine including many different effect with food and cooking objects,
an egg could keep appearing under a measuring cup. Intrigued, the "chef" experiments with other objects such as walnut or large olives.
No final load is necessary as you continue with baking a cake in a hat, or something -- but a cup of flour could be done.

The new collapsible silicon measuring cups as some additional magical possibilities.

One might consider using a set of matching cups for a traditional three cup routine with incredible final load,
but the very nature of a single cup routine suggest breaking with traditional to cup, balls and sequence. (for me anyway)
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
914 Posts

Profile of Riley
Quote:
On May 20, 2016, Pete Biro wrote:

The first time I saw Ken perform the cups and balls, I was really surprised how small the final load lemons were. The lemons were around the size of Fab Fruit lemons, maybe even a little smaller. This was around 1976 and I remember vividly the tremendous reaction Ken received from his lay audience with those three small lemons.

With that in mind, a quick and respectful thank you to Pete Biro for my Johnny Paul brass cups. I'm sure others have discovered that certain working subtlety with Fab Fruit lemons and the JP cup.

Happy days!
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
658 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Hmmm, while I agree with most of the comments above (that proportion is a much more major thing), I think that size relative to your hands is also an important consideration.
I have had members of the audience put the lemon in their hand afterwards and comment that you can't even hide a lemon in your hand. I always get better reactions from my large lime and lemon ending than with my mini cup routine even though it is exactly the same routine.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On May 20, 2016, Pete Biro wrote:

Was it also Ken that said, "A potato is just funny"? These days I do chop cup more than a standard 3 cup routine. I use a lime and a baseball. It also helps that BOTH are referenced in my script long before they make their appearance.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Pep- yes spuds be funny also lemons and turnips
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Is using a large final load CONSIDERABLY stronger? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL