The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » An old coin with a little potential. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sardonicus
View Profile
New user
The Left Coast, USA
50 Posts

Profile of Sardonicus
I'm trying to find out any information I can on an old novelty coin I have. I doubt if I'll find much success, but I've scoured the web with no luck and finally decided that this is the place to turn.

The coin is a 1925 cent showing heads on one side. On the reverse is the "tail" side of a Liberty Head nickel. (The date isn't showing, but these nickels were minted from 1883-1912.) The fact that it's a combination cent/nickel rather than the more obvious cent/dime is strange to me, but maybe it's a common combination that I'm just ignorant of.

I'm reasonably certain that this isn't a modern hybrid. I know of some guys that do currently make things such as double-headed Morgan dollars for example, but for a number of reasons I believe this coin of mine is an older creation. The coins it was made from are heavily circulated, and I suspect they were so from before it was created. I don't think it circulated "in the wild" unnoticed long enough for it to be this worn, and I can't see anyone at any point putting out a commercial product in this state of wear. Because of that I suspect it's just a homemade project that managed to land in my hands.

However...I'm hoping I'm wrong. I'd love to learn that a place like Tannen's for instance sold this as a marketed prop for a specific routine back in the day. I really doubt it, but one never knows.

So, does anyone else have a similar coin, or recall having seen an oldie like this? Is the cent/nickel combination really as strange as it seems to me, or is my ignorance showing? Does anyone know an old, perhaps specific and marketed routine that would use something like this? I'm aware of modern ones, of course. I'm hoping for the older stuff, although I'm not holding my breath.

My questions run along those lines, and if anyone has any knowledge or thoughts on this I'd be glad to hear them.

One more thing. Just to ward off a few possible suggestions, although I avoided using some of the "jargon" I'll point out that I'm a coin collector. This coin isn't a mule or mint error, and it's not worth much other than to someone like myself. That's my amateur but educated assessment.

The coin dealer I purchased this from agrees with me, as he only charged me four bucks. Smile
"Books break the shackles of time. A book is proof that humans are capable of working magic." Carl Sagan, Cosmos
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » An old coin with a little potential. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL