The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » World's Toughest Trivia Quiz! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
1. What are co, e, et, hesh, jhe, and thon?

2. What would you do with a swacket?

3. Tasters may refer to it as austere, brackish, bright, clean, dank, flabby, ferruginous, skunky, swampy, or tinny. What is it?

4. The idea is to fit all the nubs into the proper voids to form locks. When all the locks are thus formed, what do you have?

5. The name of a certain familiar object, in a Pacific Islands Pidgin English, is "scratch 'im in belly, out come squeak allasame pussycat." What is the object?

6. What should you feed your grown-up pet moth?

7. Is a man or a woman more likely to stutter?

8. Twice daily, a panel of five men gets together in a small office in London to determine an important international statistic. Which?

9. About 1/6 of all Tibetan men follow the same occupation. What is it?

10. Whatever happened to the first typewritten manuscript for publication?

11. Mildred and Patty Hill wrote a song in 1936, and their estate still collects royalties on it. It's the most frequently sung song in America. Name it.

12. A Birmingham, Alabama, newspaper once included this question in its poll: "If you had one extra place in your fallout shelter, to whom would you give it?" What profession got the fewest votes?

13. Members of the World War II French Resistance had a euphemism all their own for excusing themselves to the "powder room." What was the expression?

14. You're on the beach. You pick up a seashell, and you claim you can hear the ocean. But what do you really hear?

15. Why are wine bottles tinted?

16. In 18th-century English gambling dens, there was an employee whose only job was to _________ the dice in the event of a police raid. Fill in the blank.

17. The Aztecs enjoyed a primitive version of one-on-one basketball, using a solid rubber ball to be shot through a stone ring. The winner recieved an odd prize. What was it?

18. The answer is "Aerospatial 001." What's the question?

19. True or false: Studies at the University of Michigan show that the better-educated you are, the less susceptible you are to colds.

20. In ancient Rome, what could you tell about a woman with blonde hair?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27097 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
ROFL, trivia indeed!

Not a lot of Blondes in Ancient Rome.
Studies these days have shown whatever the funding institute have proposed. Smile
Some people don't want to be sacrificed
unlike our pal Mickey these folks really did swallow
these days they really do collect royalties on that song... and that's why you don't hear it on TV etc.
Before or after China invaded?
Sorry, the blood in my ears is distracting me right now

;) Just off the top, and in no particular order
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Craig Matsuoka
View Profile
Loyal user
Kailua, Hawaii
271 Posts

Profile of Craig Matsuoka
If a member needs to know the answers, xe should zip up ir swacket, go to a library, and look it up for hermself. Or go on the internet (jhe might want to use Internet Explorer Verasion 6.0 or above) and check the news for the latest terroir alert before doing a Google search.

Sooner or later all the pieces of the puzzle should fall right into place and reveal the desired answers without much fiddling.

Finding some of the answers is not so easy. In addition to what Jonathan already mentioned in a similar vein, one of the distracting solutions might make you want to cry as well. For the solution, one could just speak with a knowledgeable friend, since she’s four times more likely to give a clear answer.

Shall we continue? Smile
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
I'd love to read the answers.

3. Wine (and other things too, perhaps).

14. The echoing of your own pulse within the shell.

15. To prevent the wine being aged prematurely by too much exposure to light.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Well, since the replies to this thread are getting to be 3 days apart, here's the answers:

1) Each of these words has been proposed as neutered replacement for the phrase "he or she".

2) Put it on - it's a sweater that buttons like a jacket

3) Beer

4) A completed jigsaw puzzle

5) A violin

6) Nothing. Adult moths don't eat

7) A man, by about 5 to 1

8) The price of gold

9) Monk

10) It was quite a success - it was Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer

11) "Happy Birthday to You"

12) Politicians

13) "Pardonnez-mois, je vais telephoner a Hitler."

14) The echo of the blood pulsing in your own ear

15) Exposure to light may spoil wine

16) Swallow

17) All the spectator's clothing (By the way, the loser was put to death)

18) What was the name of the first Concorde?

19) False. If you guessed correctly, gesundheit.

20) She pursued the "oldest profession".
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Thanks Scott.

Though I'd still defend "Wine" for question 3. Not sure that I've heard Ferruginous for wine, though. No doubt because it's not served via metal pipes? And Skunky I've only heard for non-vitis-vinifera varietals.

An entertaining set of questions. And answers.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
Craig Matsuoka
View Profile
Loyal user
Kailua, Hawaii
271 Posts

Profile of Craig Matsuoka
Quote:
6) Nothing. Adult moths don't eat

I've read that most adult moths don't eat, but there are a few exceptions depending on what's meant by "eating". Does "feeding" include drinking and sucking?

Pionea damastesalis is lachryphagous, known to feed on the eyes or tears of water buffalo and humans in Papua New Guinea. So is Heterocera Sumatrana of Indonesia. Certain Calyptra species and subspecies are either haematophagous (blood sucking) or fruit piercing.

http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research/natsci/ng/NGBIB5.HTM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » World's Toughest Trivia Quiz! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL