The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Practicing magic to music (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anandhu
View Profile
New user
India
5 Posts

Profile of Anandhu
I know many magicians practice magic to music.. Can you suggest your favourite music,soundtracks etc for practicing close-up(mainly coin magic) magic?

Thanks in advance!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
For a while try working to any music that you enjoy and see which ones work best for different Magic.
Don't copy others for long but try working to some music that you see other Magicians using and you may start to see why they chose that type of music.

After a while you'll get an idea of what makes a song a good choice. Music without lyrics is generally better but sometimes you'll find some lyrics that just fit so...?

Always keep that in mind that as fun as it is to practice to music (and I do), most close-up gigs are about connecting with people.

Practice to music can make you smooth but it can also disassociate you from the actions and make them more like a dance than purposeful action. This can have a tendency to mesmerize the spectators and they can lose focus on what the conditions are and what outcomes should be expected, which can be a problem if you want them to see Magic.
Stage Magicians use this to do secret things and work past this by stressing what needs to be understood.

Classical music can be a good starting point. I'm partial to my Partner Tom's Guitar playing but I think Guitar in general would work.

Not all your Magic is the same speed so the tempo of your music will vary as well.

There are many here who know more about this, I'm just telling what I know from my experience.

-Mary Mowder
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Have seen some fabulous coin work at conventions to the following music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nXUPHR17FI
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
I believe a good way to practice is by playing music that gives you the internal state tha you need for that routine.
Then when you do the routine the needed internal state will flow in your body automatically.
nyborn
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of nyborn
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2020, weirdwizardx wrote:
I believe a good way to practice is by playing music that gives you the internal state tha you need for that routine.
Then when you do the routine the needed internal state will flow in your body automatically.

This is gold. I check my body for tension and try to be as relaxed as possible so I'm not bringing in tension that doesn't belong in the slight but this is even better. Practicing while anchoring the state you wish to be in performing.
disbelief
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of disbelief
Would you practice magic to music because you perform to the same music? To me it would make sense that you practice to the music you perform to. If you don’t perform to music then I don’t see the point of practicing to music. Or am I missing something?
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
Magic to music seems to get great reactions from Adults. It is fun to experiment and see which music has the feeling, emotion and timing to fit your Magic routines. I have put together a few Magic routines and decided to perform to my own songs. I select songs that have the right length of time and feeling to fit my Magic. With mix crowds of children and Adults, it can lift your show to a higher level having Magic to Music in your performance! Cheers!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Practicing magic to music (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL