The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How do you carry it (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
Years ago a young magician took over for a local performer who had been an established fixture at a local restaurant for many years. The kid never carried anything with him...instead preferring to use the objects available to him at the table or things he could borrow from the customers.

His favorite effect was forcing a number (using the grey elephant in Denmark method) and using it as a prediction for an item on the menu.

I once watched him borrow a bill from a customer and having the serial number noted by two or three people ,each one being responsible for remembering a portion of the number. He then folded the bill and performed a retention vanish as he pretended to place the bill beneath a folded dinner napkin. A patron was then asked to place their hand over the napkin to make it impossible for the bill to be removed.

On that particular night he loaded it under a coffee cup as one would do in a card under glass routine. Just then the waiter stopped by to refill the coffee cups! The person who was drinking from the cup where the bill was hidden requested a refill. After the coffee was poured, he lifted his cup to take a drink. Before the cup reached his lips, he noticed the bill under the cup and completely freaked out with astonished laughter.

The others at the table soon caught on to why he was freaking out and the person covering the tablecloth slowly lifted it to see that the bill was not there. Once the serial number was confirmed the customers at the table were all in a state of hysterics/amazement. The kid never worried about pocket management, buskers pouches, or even a TT...pretty smart if you ask me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The idea that restaurant patrons expect nothing more than a very brief interruption is part of the problem. Why let this idea persist? Many here have peole follow them to restaurants and they expectexpect far more than a brief interruption when they bring back their friends. You will ruin the night with that attitude.

That idea just astonishes me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
Quote:
On May 29, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
The idea that restaurant patrons expect nothing more than a very brief interruption is part of the problem. Why let this idea persist? Many here have peole follow them to restaurants and they expectexpect far more than a brief interruption when they bring back their friends. You will ruin the night with that attitude.

That idea just astonishes me.

Really? So the local table hopper has a following of customers who will travel to wherever they might be performing,...kind of like a rock star...yes...I can buy that. Will the customers and their friends night be ruined if all they get from the magician is a torn and restored card effect and a chop cup routine...SERIOUSLY doubt it.

WIFE: "Gosh honey, you look so glum...I thought you went with Frank and the boys to "Charlie's Hideaway" tonight to see that guy who does card tricks at the pizza joint we take the kids to"

HUSBAND: "Frank took us, but the magician only did two tricks for us...ruined the whole night"

WIFE: "WHAT????...you're kidding, right? Please tell me your kidding"

HUSBAND: "I...am...not...kidding...I really wish I was sweetheart, but it's the truth. We just sat around staring at each other the rest of the night while our beers got warm...worst night of my life...at least he could have done a coin trick or something"

WIFE: "Astonishing...simply astonishing."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well having never seen you work I have no idea if anyone would come see you or not. Sounds like you don't think so. I will take your word for it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Only that you are a lovely talented magician Mrs. Mary. Wow Patrick those holsters are intense. Definitely expensive but they look really handy. I wonder if any of the buskers use them. Peppermeat you are deffinately right about leaving them wanting more. I had to drill that into my apprentice. He would try and do 15 effects for one person. I think Danny didn't like you using the word interuption. It makes you as a magician being there seem negative. I have had people specifically request me for tricks. They just really loved the magic and would even bring in friends to see it. Kaliix in bet you never have trouble with regulars with that arsenal.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On May 29, 2016, Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse wrote:
Only that you are a lovely talented magician Mrs. Mary. Wow Patrick those holsters are intense. Definitely expensive but they look really handy. I wonder if any of the buskers use them. Peppermeat you are deffinately right about leaving them wanting more. I had to drill that into my apprentice. He would try and do 15 effects for one person. I think Danny didn't like you using the word interuption. It makes you as a magician being there seem negative. I have had people specifically request me for tricks. They just really loved the magic and would even bring in friends to see it. Kaliix in bet you never have trouble with regulars with that arsenal.

Actually he can use any word he wants that is not my objection.

My only objection is to making the experience universal. If he is an interruption I have no issue with that. If people do not come back to see him I have no issue with that. But you can't tell me at Schuliens for 110 years that was an "interruption" or that people did not come to see us. (Obviously different ones of "us" over that time period.)

NO WAY you can say people did not go to The Forks to see Eddie Fecter. Or The Pickle Barrel to see Heba Haba, or Schulien's to see Matt, or The Magic Tap to see Jim Ryan or the Old Barn to see Ernie Spence or Biggs to see Eugene Burger or Illusions to see Mike Close. The list is just WAY too long to continue.

My point is you do not HAVE to be an interruption. You CAN be the reason people go. You CAN be a great part of the overall experience. Settling on the idea that you are nothing more than a hurried short as possible interruption is simply NOT the way things have to be. It certainly is not the way it is for all of us. It says WAY more about the person posting it than it does about magic in general.

And YES many many many posters here have people who come specifically to see them and would be disappointed if they only did a couple things. They can chime in on their own.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
I don't work restaurants, but know that some people go to a restaurant to see a specific magician.

I recall a party where everyone decided they wanted to go see Suzanne and we scheduled a specific night to have dinner where she worked. A table of 10. Suzanne visited the table for a short couple sets, left, and then returned after her shift was up and spent another 30 minutes or so with us.

This is not the only case. I know that Joe Cole in Omaha has a loyal following as well.

Certainly you can make a living as a minor attraction, but the main event will certainly do better.

Hudson
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
I have performed thousands of restaurant and strolling magic gigs. I have a leather gibriace ( OK I never could spell it) which is basically a really nice waiters apron. I have lots of regulars at my restaurants and also first timers. I dress cool casual and wear same color pants as pouch ( black).
I carry lots of stuff to accommodate any situation. I find this incredible efficient and superior for my chop cup routine and pool ball routines. I use my pockets for coins and spongeball , back for wallets and other stuff.
I have NEVER had someone say " Wow, that looks unprofessional, or Gee All my other Magicians I see wear a nice sport coat.
If you are good, pleasant and entertain your audience, I don't think they care. I sometimes say this is where I keep all my cool stuff, if they ask which is rare.
Switching decks between sets, easy access and prop visibility is great. I also use a mat at every table. Embroidered with my name of course!!
Again, I don't use this at a formal setting.
Thank you listening
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
FrankieF
View Profile
Veteran user
So Cal
334 Posts

Profile of FrankieF
I barely carry anything with me anymore. I did an event Saturday night with nothing more than a Deck of Cards, a couple of coins and a TT.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Quote:
On May 29, 2016, peppermeat2000 wrote:
Quote:
On May 28, 2016, Magic Patrick wrote:
I use a high caliber holster. I have slimmed down to the 3 sets of three.

Patrick

I use 1/3 of what you do and sometimes that is more than enough. I have gone entire evenings of "table hopping" with just an invisible deck and modified Ninja Ring routine.

Once I realized that patrons at a restaurant aren't expecting anything more from the magician than a brief...VERY brief...interruption of their night out I felt more comfortable with the less is more attitude.

I know some of you will be thinking, "But, what if the patrons want to see more than the linking rings and invisible deck?".
My response is the tried and true philosophy, "Always leave them begging for more".

You are not denying the customer of anything as a restaurant performer if you limit your table hops to one or two effects...you ARE denying them a positive dining experience if you double as the chef and prepare for them a terrible meal.

Just 2 tricks. I cannot part with my Birthday Card Deck. Too good for those guest that are celebrating their BDAY. I like the invisible deck but get better reactions with the Dark Card so that is another deck for me. Magnetic scotch and soda and Holy Moly are a staple so those are staying in the set. Spongeballs and silk with TT are numero uno with children. I cannot even think of doing the same 2 tricks each night. To each their own.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Very true Patrick. We each have effects we like to do. Even though it is for the spectators it's still for us to. Thank you for sharring about using a pouch, I can't spell that proper word, Patrick. Do you do formal events with it to?
sophiamartin
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of sophiamartin
I generally keep a modified version of Joshua Jay's pro carrier in my pocket, it carries enough for at least 30 mins of strolling magic. I keep anything else in my other pocket.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I have a case that stays stashed behind the bar or somewhere else secure. In there, I have extra decks, cups and balls, extra business cards and other goodies. When going from table to table, I work out of pockets. Right coat pocket: regular deck, right pants: pocket coin purse with 2 sets of gaffed coins, left jacket pocket wallet with extra cards and usually Josh Jay's Prism deck, inner coat pocket: card to wallet, sharpie, occasionally a wand for ring on stick.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I too work only out of my pockets. I would not wear a pouch that is exposed. Why? Just my opinion but the pouch is where the magic is coming from. It's a perception thing for me. Sure, you could say, the magic is coming from my pockets but there is more focus on an exterior pouch where you are constantly going to. The focus from the audience should be on me not a pouch.

Yes it is convenient and can help organize but I don't want to hear "What else do you have in that little black pouch/bag"
I don't want to do magic I want to be magic. That was a quote from Quentin Reynolds.

The pouch obviously works for some but not for me. A hidden holster would be OK.
Just my opinion. I'm sure some would disagree and that's fine. Whatever works for you.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Matty Freakin Whipple
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia, PA
86 Posts

Profile of Matty Freakin Whipple
Oh, oh!!! I have a really good tip for pocket management!!!

If you buy one of those aluminum wallets, you can use it to carry packet tricks! It will keep them protected and safe and also SEPARATED so you can go in and grab the one you want quickly! Seriously, they are awesome and they are cheap. You need to make sure you get the XL size, or there won't be enough height to hold playing cards. Here is the one I use: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V6I2SQO?psc=1

Other than that, I pack really light. I usually have a jacket on. 2 decks of cards, T.T., Bounce No-Bounce Balls, coin wallet, Exact Change gimmick, Spider Pen or reel, Altoid tins for Toibox, lighter, sponge balls, fire wallet, yadda yadda. You know the drill. I definitely never wish I had more room and I never feel bogged down. I also make sure the venue gives me a really good staging area. Somewhere private, so I can set up a little station, that way, if I want to do something else, I can just go grab it really quickly.
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
If I'm booked for a larger event (i.e 80+ people at a wedding/party) I'll just work from my pockets. If I'm booked for a smaller event (20 people birthday party) I'll take my satchel style briefcase which carrys extra effects and refill when needed.

When strolling I carry:
Right Jacket Pocket - Deck of Cards (+ 8 ball sometimes, does create a bulge tho)
Left Jacket Pocket - Omni Deck
Right Inside Jacket Pocket - Mobile Phone
Left Inside Jacket Pocket - Gaffed Deck (either Cardtoon/Blackpool Effect/Mental Photography) + Sharpie (Remarkable)
Right Trouser Pocket - Sponge bunnies
Left Trouser Pocket - Car/house Keys, coin purse (4 half dollars and a shell) + sometimes TT loaded with a foreign note for a comedy bill switch to wallet routine
Right Back Trouser Pocket - Real Mans Wallet (containing business cards, 5 to 10 transpo, lottery extreme burn, wonderland bill and a double facer/double backer for annversary waltz)
Wrist - 2x white elastic bands, alternatively I'll have them around the gaffed deck in my pocket
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Quote:
On May 30, 2016, Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse wrote:
Very true Patrick. We each have effects we like to do. Even though it is for the spectators it's still for us to. Thank you for sharring about using a pouch, I can't spell that proper word, Patrick. Do you do formal events with it to?

I wear the holster under my jacket. It is not seen ever. I have worked with the Melting Pot for the last 7 years. I do events from carnivals, reunions, weddings and corporate parties. It is my rule to dress better than those I am sharing my magic with. In every case it is either under my suit jacket or my tuxedo jacket. See it here: http://www.highcalibermagic.com/original-holster.html

Patrick
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

I like hearing how you guys have your pocket management down to a science. I to have always carried a case to gigs where it would be safe and then dissappear when I need to. How do you wear a coat when it is hot out Patrick? Such as at carnivals. Thas the real trick.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Ohh and Matty I'm definitely using your idea for the packet trick holder. That is a great cheap alternative.
Matty Freakin Whipple
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia, PA
86 Posts

Profile of Matty Freakin Whipple
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2016, Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse wrote:
Ohh and Matty I'm definitely using your idea for the packet trick holder. That is a great cheap alternative.

It's awesome! You can also keep gaff cards in it that you can ring in and out of your deck.
Here's what is currently in mine:

Effects:
Duplicity
Color Monte
Spin Doctor
Vortex

Gaffs:
bite out card
Sharpie Through Card
Download gimmick
double backer and three double facers (for anniversary waltz)

All those with room to spare, and the wallet separates everything nicely like a filing cabinet. All of the gaffs are safe and protected from bends, humidity, etc. It's honestly so good, I am really surprised none of the dealers have bought a bunch, thrown a sticker on them, and started selling them at a 300% mark-up. Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How do you carry it (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL