The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Stealing Pips Take (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Toll the bell for someone else who got ripped off because Oz ripped off a bunch of other people Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Oz is a good card man. But...he's a snooze as a performer. You see guys like this perform in restaurants and the tables fall asleep.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
meilechl
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of meilechl
I don't know about that. I saw his (discontinued) show Watch Magic in December and I found it quite entertaining.
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
I for one thought that Mike Closes review was spot on. I buy quite a few DVD's and Videos a year and I will have to say that this is in the top 3 worst DVD's that I have ever purchased. I did not get any reviews prior to purchase nor did I know anyone who had it prior to me so I was flying blind. I made my mind up prior to reading Closes review but felt that he covered my thoughts very well.

Quote:
On 2004-06-04 16:46, briantwig wrote:
Brutal is being kind with Close's review. He basically said Oz was a crap magician, should be ashamed to put out a DVD, and that anyone who buys it should get out of magic. The only thing he was right about is that Oz patter is pretty bad.

I am not sure that I remember that Close saying that anyone who buys it should get out of magic or even if his intent was that. I understand that you are paraphrasing here but I think that you may be reading into what you thought he meant rather than what he did mean. I am not sure so I will go back and read the review again just to make sure.

As for the not giving credit where credit is due, even if Oz did have permission it is considered good form to credit the creator regardless. It shows a lack of respect for the art form and creator not to. A large part of what we do as magicians is based on history and if we do not preserve the history and respect for the creators of our tools, magic as a whole will be worse off because of it. In magic where it came from should matter.
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
meilechl
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of meilechl
Quote:
On 2004-09-23 14:33, pikacrd wrote:
I for one thought that Mike Closes review was spot on. I buy quite a few DVD's and Videos a year and I will have to say that this is in the top 3 worst DVD's that I have ever purchased.

Why do you say that? Was there anything in particular that made you feel that way? Do you not think any of these effects are useable or do you just think they suck?
meilechl
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of meilechl
No answer?
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
The one thing I will say in defence of OZ (BTW I don't own the tape Just becuase I don't need another card tape or book) Is that he was a online demenstrator there is a big difference between a demenstrator and their show. I haven't seen his show but have watched some of the demos. If his show is anything like his demos there would need to be a lot of work on presentation. I think people don't understand that demoing a trick to sell it is a totally different ball game.

tpdmagic
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
Meilechl reminded me that I promised him I would get a response out here as to why I did not like the DVD in question so here it goes. (I promise to keep this short and sweet I should also add that I currently do not have the DVD in front of me as I am drafting this so I will not refrence any of paticular rouines contained on the DVD) First off as I have mentioned in other posts I feel that the lack of crediting work that does not belong to you regardless of if you have permission or not is poor form and immediately puts a DVD into my questionable list. This is a topic that has been discussed several times here at the café so I will not go into it more than that. Secondly I felt that OZ came off as a demonstrator and not a magician, this is a totally opinionative deduction on my part so I will explain that I really do not do demos when I am performing. I know that a lot of people will say that you should put your own performing style over the top of the effects that are being shown, and I agree but I would like to see how a real worker handles the material to get a feel for the possibilities. I will put this into perspective by saying that I love the Pot Hole trick by Mike Close, I have seen him do it several times I love his presentation but I do not follow it. I have my own version of his effect that I do when performing. With Oz you get none of the real performance style in any of the demonstrations that he performs on this DVD. Again this is my opinion. Thirdly I did not have a use for any more that about 5% of the material that was on the DVD I am not saying that there was not material that some magicians would use just none that I was interested in.

So to wrap this all up I will say that this DVD did not do it for me. I found it to be less than worth my time that it took to watch. I do want to add that this is not an attack on Oz at all it is just merely my opinion of the DVD, and I am sure that others have differing opinions of this DVD and that is great.

I wish you all the best.

Kris
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
Pants99
View Profile
Loyal user
El Paso, TX
230 Posts

Profile of Pants99
I bought it, but haven't watched it yet...I bought it for the SAC move.
Buckle up... it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.
meilechl
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of meilechl
It's hard to contest the third point as that is an individual thing. I, for one, have found routines to use. I do agree, however, to the first two points.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2004-03-19 01:47, holytoledo36 wrote:
It was probably one of the most brutal reviews I've ever read

You haven't read mine!
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Stealing Pips Take (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL