We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » COIN by Eric Chien (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Wow that retention vanish was good
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes

This is well worth a read: http://joshuaspodek.com/model-motivate-putting-effort

Hope this helps you
Dominic
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Here’s Ben Williams behind the counter at MoM for a closer look at COIN

Coin is on the site at MoM now, shipping from the UK here: https://www.magicshop.co.uk/vortex-magic......ic-chien

Hope this helps you
Dominic Reyes
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
For anyone who has this, how does it compare to Z's Retention Vanish?
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2016, RNK wrote:

Learning a move, whether it's knuckle busting or not and whether your new to coin magic or not, in days, weeks or months has nothing to do with "the move" but everything to do with the learning curve of the student. Dominic was spot on with his post. No one can tell you if a move is going to take YOU a day, week(s) or month(s) to look beautiful. Even if a move is one of the easier ones to perform.

Disagree. "Knuckle buster" has a real meaning. And while you may not be able to tell how long it will take to "beautify" a move for any particular person, you can reliably predict it will take them longer to learn a muscle pass than a french drop. Comparisons do have some validity - even when they are the general categories of: easy, medium, hard, Ponta the Smith hard.

This isn't rocket science, but the reason we respect rocket scientists is the same as the reason we respect a highly skilled coin/card worker - we know it took some serious effort and talent to accomplish what we observe. Telling me that anyone can be a rocket science with enough dedication, effort and student loans doesn't help me much. I know that already.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2578 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Anyone got this yet.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2016, Steven Conner wrote:
Anyone got this yet.

I don't think its released yet, I have it on order
mindmesser
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of mindmesser
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2016, catweazle wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2016, Steven Conner wrote:
Anyone got this yet.

I don't think its released yet, I have it on order

I think they just started shipping it.

J.
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of jamo425
Mine just arrived yesterday. Finished watching the dvd last night and will share some details when I have some time later today.
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of jamo425
Difficulty:
Ok so first of all, in regards to difficulty, the technique itself is not all that difficult. The difficult part is getting the speed and timing to where it needs to be. As Dominic said earlier, the technique relies on a series of movements to work. Nothing "knucklebusting" about the series of movements whatsoever. The trick is getting comfortable with the technique to the point where muscle memory eventually takes over, and it becomes automatic. Once you can accurately execute the move, and you start building that muscle memory, speed is bound to follow.

Teaching/learning:
I thought Eric did a great job of explaining how and why the technique works. He goes into every detail on the technique itself, various tips, how to practice and troubleshooting. Nothing is left out. There are even a bunch of slow mo shots from different angles after each technique and trick is taught. Keep in mind that Eric uses dollar sized coins. He mentions it will work with half dollars, and it does, that's what I use. But the retention pass in general relies on the retention of vision of the coin in the hand. General rule of thumb: more coin= more retention.

For any intermediate coin worker, you should be able to pick this fairly quickly. Anyone else that is unfamiliar with coin magic, and is not familiar with a basic retention pass, would take quite a bit longer to get this down. Eric mentioned in the video that one of his friends had been practicing for months and is just now beginning to get it down. So try not to become discouraged if progress is slow for you, this will take time to master regardless if you work a lot with coins like me, or this is your first coin magic dvd (fyi, I would not recommend this as a first coin magic dvd lol). Of course time will vary between people depending on current skill level, and how much time and effort you put in each day.. just don't expect to pop this in and expect your retention to look like eric's any time soon.

Technique:
Now the technique itself is not necessarily new. This is basically a variation on the standard retention pass. Eric has made quite a few changes/adjustments to the classic technique, and of course it's exactly these changes/adjustments that make the move look so beautiful and deceptive. I cannot really describe exactly how it's different from the classic retention without possibly exposing anything.

Material:
Majority of material taught here are applications for his retention pass. A basic vanish, instant vanish, instant spellbound change, throw change and the changes with the card and cigarette. All of these, as you can see from the trailer, are extremely visual. Eric makes it look like cgi is happening in real life.

There are a couple actual routines taught here as well. A short one coin routine, and a 3 coins across routine. The coins across ending was probably my favorite part of the dvd. Also, he shows a slight variation on Ponta the smith's spellbound routine. Doesn't teach his routine, just the parts he added. Nice application if you know Ponta's routine. Lastly, he wraps everything up with a few other additional ideas.

Conclusion:
Overall I really enjoyed this dvd a lot. I love coin magic so I was really excited when I first saw this trailer and couldn't wait to get it. I have to say I'm very happy I did. If there is anything negative that I had to say about this, it would be that I wish there were more full routines taught.. the coins across and one coin routine were nice, I just would have liked to have seen more. I love all of the applications, and I will definitely use them and find a way to incorporate them into my own routines. I would highly recommend this to any one who wants to learn some incredibly visual coin magic AND.. is willing to work for it.

-Jameson
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of jamo425
*correction, he does actually teach the modified version of ponta's spellbound routine. Not verbally, just an over the shoulder exposed view
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Jamo, thanks for the great review!

Jim
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8880 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2016, jamo425 wrote:

...Conclusion:
Overall I really enjoyed this dvd a lot. I love coin magic so I was really excited when I first saw this trailer and couldn't wait to get it. I have to say I'm very happy I did. If there is anything negative that I had to say about this, it would be that I wish there were more full routines taught.. the coins across and one coin routine were nice, I just would have liked to have seen more. I love all of the applications, and I will definitely use them and find a way to incorporate them into my own routines. I would highly recommend this to any one who wants to learn some incredibly visual coin magic AND.. is willing to work for it.

-Jameson

Thanks man, really good overview.

I mentioned this on the coin forum because I truly appreciate seeing the "needle move" when it does…I think it moves here…I thought it moved with Mickey Silver and Ponta The Smith...I think it moves a bit with this too.

I have great regard for the RV, switches, good timing and misdirection…I use them all myself, as I mostly came to learn them through The Great Rocco Silano. Smile And as such, to see someone working and succeeding at these things in even more interesting ways, is to see progress in the art for us all…but especially us coin workers. Smile

Good job!
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I purchased this today and I'm really enjoying it. While the core move is "nacky", I wouldn't classify it as knucklebusting. I've practiced a similar idea in the past, so I found myself catching on fairly quickly.
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of jamo425
Yeah I believe the whole "it could take you weeks or months" thing is aimed more towards beginners. I work a lot with coins, and for me I began to get the move down within about an hour or so. Gradually I started gaining speed and consistency. Probably the most challenging thing on this dvd is getting the timing down for the "blink" vanish to make it look like it does on the trailer.

I've been having a lot of fun practicing this in the mirror. This is one of those things that once you start getting it down, you will fool yourself in the mirror. Especially when you do the changes.
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
I been practising this for an hour today and I think its only for magicains with smaller hands who can do it properly like him whats in the video
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Takes a lot more than an hour. Weeks maybe months.
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
You need smaller hands to do it properly or it wont work properly
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Hand size is not important. It's just down to practice.
metaplayer
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of metaplayer
This is a great addition to anyones coin moves.
theres only the one move, the retention vanish, but he teaches several applications for it.
it is knacky but once you get it its not that hard.
im glad I bought this dvd.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » COIN by Eric Chien (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL