The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What should I buy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
banden
View Profile
New user
Penticton BC Canada
3 Posts

Profile of banden
Hey there all!!!

I am actually looking for some recomendations for some tricks to purchase. I've been a long time card trickster... My grandfather left his legacy of card magic books and papers for me when he died. Now I am finding myself lingering into more prop based tricks... I've been playing with IT for the last 2 years and wax for just as long... I've been messing with thumb tips for about 5 years... I have the coin-bite coin.

I like tricks where I can use the spectators stuff and manipulate it...

I want tricks that do not "appear" to have any props associated with them...

There are no magic stores within a 5 hour drive of here and so I cannot go and peruse a store...I have to buy online...

What do you think I should purchase?
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Welcome to the Cafè banden!
I would suggest you to read through the first three topics here, a lot of great tips on what to buy, and where to buy it. Be sure to browse through different places here at the Cafè, I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for.
Also check material from Dan Harland, Gregory Wilson, Michael Ammar and Jay Sankey.
Jack.
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
banden
View Profile
New user
Penticton BC Canada
3 Posts

Profile of banden
Hey there mr JD!!

Thanks for the response.

I have actually spent quite a bit of time here allready looking for a few tricks that suit my 'style.' The first three posts in this thread are excellent but they don't really help me with my situations...

I am just hoping to rest on some experiences of bad purchases and maybe get a recomendation on 2 or 3 good props that can help my little routine... or take away from the repetitiveness of it.

I would like a gimmick:

-that lets me take spectator's objects to use
-is quick or non resettable
-good for close up
-not IT, thumb tip, biting quarter, wax

Like for instance... I bought the pen through bill trick... but rarely use it cause it is a special pen... or I have some trick decks... but never really get to use them because I am allways using the deck of cards that we've just been playing euchre with... etc.

I love this site and plan to stick around a while too... just need some good advice on my next purchase(s).

Reckless A. Banden
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
VOX BOX! It kicks butt!

Take the cards out of the case, do a card trick, etc.

Borrow a ring, vanish it, and with an empty hand pick up the card case and shake it... you can hear the ring rattling back and forth. Dump out the ring; it is theirs!
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
Floating dollar bill
one of the best effects ever (in my opinion) and no reset
ps can be used for more than one effect
Liams-Heart
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Liams-Heart
Banden,

I know you said no TT, but what about a nail writer? Opens up a ton of excellent mentalism tricks.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
You may want to take a look at some coin effects. Several good coin tricks on the market. Scotch & Soda, Hoping Half, etc. People view coins as everyday objects and many of the effects you end up clean and can then pass them out. (Almost as good as borrowing the item.) Also check out the books & videos that explain tricks with everyday objects.

Tom Boleware
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
How about some magic with nothing but the spare change in your pocket. Get a Book by Bobo, a Video by Roth, Stone, or Ammar and you will have plenty to work on for the forseeable future.
Magic is fun!!!
banden
View Profile
New user
Penticton BC Canada
3 Posts

Profile of banden
Hey thanks alot... that's the kinda stuff I've been looking for...

I have a few good coin tricks... I know about three different palms, and I have been able to use them a fair amount...

Also because I live in canada... getting prop coins that I can switch into a performance are tough to find.

I would really like a butter coin... not certain how it works...

THe only floating dollar I know uses IT... (which I have and use) is there another???

I think I'll try the Vox Box, and the nail writer... both sound fun.

THanks again.
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of ashah
Hahaha. Reckless A. Banden. Funny.

Anyway, I'd say Scotch and Soda is a great one to do. Also, before you start buying lots of gimmicks with reckless abandon (no pun intended), make sure you can properly perform the stuff you already have. And make sure to learn some stuff that does not involve gimmicks. You ought to be able to do some card or coin tricks on the spot when you don't have your props.
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Time to purchase the Martin Gardner books on Impromtu Magic!!!

Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Jhonsky
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
112 Posts

Profile of Jhonsky
Michael Ammar is a good teacher.His videos are great.
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
Hpw about greg wilsons "on the spot" I'm buying it tomorrow and allthough ive not actually watched it yet its meant to be very good
ollie
BWind
View Profile
Loyal user
Honolulu, Hawaii
262 Posts

Profile of BWind
Banden,
A very good book is the Amatuer Magician's Hanbook by Henry Hays; You can still find it at http://www.gamblersgeneralstore.com for a meager $13.95 (hardbound edition, the one to have! Do not buy the paperback edition the photo reproductions are horrible!) The book has loads of information for someone just starting out and will also make for good referencing in the future; Don't let the title fool you, this book is a real treasure; take care &
Aloha,
BWind
Rafa
View Profile
Regular user
Costa Rica
102 Posts

Profile of Rafa
If you like to work with your spectators stuff, I´d recommend Richard Osterlind. I like card magic, I really don´t know why I bought his set, but it´s worth every penny, and I think that you would really enjoy it. Hope this helps.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Banden,
For stuff borrowed from spectators, you might want to try my No-gimmick Scotch and Soda or my No-Gimmick Hopping Halves, both of which were in my Showtime column in the Linking Ring magazine.
Just e-mail me and I'll be happy to send them to you -- or to anyone else who is interested.
No shells, no locking coins, no gimmicks at all; and a story line that you can change to fit the coins (anywhere in the world, although it was written for use here in Canada.)
Leon of PrimRose
View Profile
New user
mayfield, new york
69 Posts

Profile of Leon of PrimRose
Two words... The Raven.Smile
Being forgotten is worse than death

There was never anything but life...life and death...Good...Evil...It all depends on how you look at life... and death. The strong, the weak. It's all just a concept.

Believe the unbe
nakulshenoy
View Profile
New user
Bangalore, India
91 Posts

Profile of nakulshenoy
Hi Banden,

Have you visited http://magic.about.com ? It has an excellent guide on buying magic tricks.

I would also like to second Tomasko's recommendation of Martin Gardner's Encylopedia of Impromtu Magic.

Again, if you don't have Henry Hay's Amateur Magician's handbook, that is a must too.
Nakul Shenoy
The Mind Reader
www.nakulshenoy.com
Profan
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Profan
Once you get into magic more and can do semi-complex sleight of hand, I would strongly reccommend the Art of Astonishment set by Paul Harris. It contains everything from gimmicks to non-gimmicked effects, cards to coins, to milkshakes and peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches. The set is a bit expensive, but well worth it.
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
I hate to suggest this again but learn CMH..Crazy Mans Handcuffs..with a couple of rubber bands this trick always slays 'em.

Howard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What should I buy (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL