We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Sting the Spectators vs Tell a Story (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
I am a wedding performer so I do mostly table hopping routines. I love Micheal Skinner's Ultimate Monte, however, in the standard routine ( as performed by Bill Malone )the comedy is centered around "stinging the spectator again & again. I personally don't like to do this to my audience, so I wrote a poem that goes perfectly with the actions of the routine. It tells the story of MY first meeting with a card shark who took my money. It's a charming story but the poem is @ 3 mins. long and contains no real laughs. So my question is this...Would you "sting " your audience for laughs or take the extra time to tell a charming story and sacrifice the humor?
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Since we do not know your poem, maybe you should try out both ways and decide which is best.

Maybe you will and up using one (ex; Malone) for some customers and the other (poem) for other customer. Because with experience you end being able to 'read' a table as you approach it and get a feeling of what they are like etc...

My 2 cents.

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
I kind of have to agree with Ronnie, which way gets more bang for their buck? The only way to tell is by doing it a hundred times both ways. I personally don't worry, "stinging" my audience for when I do, my persona doesn't all in good fun. On a side note, all effects have an amount of sting in them, some more then others from a lay persons point of view. Try it out heck call your friends and show them both ways and see which one they like the most.
Cheers Chris
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Are you going for laughs or for deep emotional intrest?

Neither one is better, but it depends on what your looking for in the trick.

If you don't want to sting them, but the poem isn't doing good, drop the trick and find another one that fits a "poem" like structure better.

Do you do Anniversary Waltz?

Amazing Emotional Potentential.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Yes MacGyver. I feature the anniversary waltz, I do it for the Bride & Groom at the end of my show.

Thanks for the opinions guys. Your right, only trial performances done both ways will give me the answers I seek.

Thanks Daryl
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Since I can't stand poetry in magic, I would certainly go for stinging the audience.

However, I tend to take the edge off by not realising where the money card REALLY is for the final kicker. I am just as amazed as the audience that it suddenly away from the rest of the cards!
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
I think it is completely possible to tell a story, make them laugh, and not sting them ALL at the same time. Perhaps a change in your story to include some humor would make it work for you.

And considering I've performed a show as a feature for Open Mics doing something I've called PoetiMagery, I'm all for you inserting poetry into your magic and remember: Poetry never has to Rhyme.

-Daniel GreenWolf
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Bill Malone really isn't stinging anyone during his routine. It's all done in a humor way.
Besides, 3 card monte is a hustler game so I think it's ok to do some stinging (if that's what you want to call it) in fun.
You should never make them feel stupid though!
Daniel Faith
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I think "stinging" is too hard of a word for engaging the audience. I go back and forth too on if I should tell a story or use language and handing that involves the audience. Should I engage my spectator and have them take part in the magic or should I have them watch while I tell a story? Time and time again, I think magic is all about engaging, involving and having the magic occur in their hands. Sure, they're going to come up with incorrect choices, but that is the magic and they'll get more astonishment when they're involved. Because of this, I'll always do something like Ultimate Monte over Color Monte, because Color Monte is a story that they must watch, rather than be part.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I think that if you are "stinging them" you are doing it wrong. If they are amazed that they can't get it right or see through the ruse, then I like that "feeling" better. It is more fun for the audience.

Engaging the audience is critical for maximum impact. You can engage them in a story and the magic can be incidental and the complete experience can be impactful. Or you can just go with strong magic they want to watch.

I never sting my audience, unless it is one rude heckler, who won't take the hints by me and the rest of the crowd. Thankfully it has been years since that has happened.

Kirk G
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Sting the Spectators vs Tell a Story (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL