The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Bra trick in family show - saw it live today (27 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Veteran user
Berlin/Germany
384 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Today in Germany I saw a professional and funny magician performing for maybe 60 adults and maybe 20 children at a big "party".

Suddenly he started to do the bra trick http://www.magictricks.com/baffling-bra.html on stage with a maybe 55-year-old woman from the audience.

My first thought was: He can not do this! That is what magic catalogs write since decades.

My second thought was: Why not? All that happens is that children see a bra. Probably most of them have seen a bra before. And probably it will be very funny. So what is the real problem?

The bra produced a big laugh from children and adults and from the woman.

After the show a boy walked by and laughed all the time about it.

From my point of view in Germany with an adult in the right show it is possible to do the trick even when children watch.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1794 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I use the bra trick when performing at senior centers, usually with one of the nurses as my assistant. It always generates hysterical laughter from kids and adults alike.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
I've always been of the opinion that real entertainers should always be the best dressed person in the room and that one of his/her goals is to elevate the audience and bring them up to his/her level.

I realize we live in an "Anything Goes" society, but tricks like the Bra Trick and Houdini Outstriped are what I would refer to as Bathroom Humor, or magic below the belt.

I'm not saying these effects won't get a cheap laugh, but many people still get offended over stuff like this because it tends to go against their beliefs and way of life. So, why even go there?

Don't run if no one is chasing you.

Gerry
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7373 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I would never do the bra trick in any of my shows.

Within the past couple of weeks, I did a show for a big year-end party for a couple of preschools (combined). There were 150 people at this party (children and parents).

It was a new customer. When she contacted me for the show a couple of months ago, she specifically asked me if my show was clean. She'd hired a magician a few years ago, and he did the bra trick in his show. She was not happy about that, and considered it not to be family-friendly.

And when I did my show, she thanked me for being clean, said my show was great, and booked me on spot for next year.

To her, it was a big deal. She mentioned it when booking the show, and again after I performed the show.

Now I'm making several hundred dollars a year instead of this other performer (not only am I getting that preschool show, but I'm also being seen by that audience for possible spin-off shows at birthday parties, etc.) Remember, the "lifetime value" of a good customer can be $1000 to $10,000 (or more)!!

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8332 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I am in complete agreement with you, Donald! --Oh! and with Gerry Walkowski, too!

When I occasionally (now that I'm "officially" retired) do a family type show, like you mention (or even ad adult club date) I wrote up a "subtle" suggestion in my book that helps "get" those spin off dates.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Russo
View Profile
Special user
578 Posts

Profile of Russo
For adults Shows only- I've used 2 men and my Wife as the subject(never an audience Vol.) - saying I needed 2 BRAVE me -because the next effect may cause a shock - I 'm going to make a multiple colored silk vanish and appear between the two silks - when I throw the silk up -pull the silk your holding--- they pull - the bra appears- and my Wife runs off stage "oooooh"- and I look accusingly at the two men with my hands on my hip and throw the silks and bra off stage for my Wife to get re-dressed(?) FUN -
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3268 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Daniel, by your own account of describing the show you reported that "after the show a boy walked by and laughed all the time about it" If I were the magician and I performed 20 tricks and all the boy took away from the show was the bra trick as being the funniest and most memorable, I would consider the show a failure; additionally, there may be 60 people in the room, if 59 people were laughing and only one person has been offended by the performing of an embarrassing trick, I would never perform it

In one instance I have seen the bra trick performed in a show and in another instance I was told about it by a magician friend; in both instances I concluded that it's not a trick I would perform in a show because of a conscious efforts to embarrass an auidance member for the sake of a laugh.

I own the trick and I have played with it, I own it only because it came in a bundle of other silk magic that I purchased on the Café's Trade & Sales forum and it sits somewhere in my warehouse unused; I would never sell it because I would not want a magician to tell anyone that "I bought this from Buzz"; someday I will come up with something else to tie between the silks that would be funny.

The magician I saw perform it was during his show at the Magic Castle, the magician was standing and she was sitting by the table and without the woman volunteering the magician went up behind her while she was sitting and placed the silks between her breasts; he performed the trick and after the reveal I could see hate in her eyes and in her facial expressions.

My friend who uses it in his children's birthday shows has told me that he has received negative comments by parents at the end of a couple of his shows, but he thinks it plays so well, that he will continue to use it.

If you are contemplating performing it, In my opinion, I would not recommend it; it may become a "reputation maker" but look at the reputation you would be making; the boy that was laughing will tell the trick to everyone as the magician did 20 tricks and the best trick the magician did during the show was pulling a bra off a woman's b**bs,

Daniel, would you like to build the reputation as a children's performer by performing the Baffling Bra Silk Trick?.

Again, in my opinion, he reputation you would build would not be a positive reputation.
Russo
View Profile
Special user
578 Posts

Profile of Russo
Just a note- I did it once at a Christians Mens Club -(ON REQUEST)- as their pastor was bachelor(?)it worked out ok-(performed as mentioned above)they ALL were happy-though we never did it again for a "Christian" audience. Ralph
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
Daniel,

There might be some cultural bias at play, regarding the responses to your post. I am right next door to you, in the Czech Republic. I'm sure the bra trick would go over fine here, at family parties, and probably kids' parties, too. Underwear and boob-jokes and alcohol references in front of children are pretty common here. The children's dolls are anatomically correct, and even drawn ***es are visible when the cartoon character on TV loses his clothing. Many Americans might blush (or at least cluck, disapprovingly) at these differences. No judgement, here; I don't know if one standard is better than another-they're just... different.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7373 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2016, Russo wrote:
Just a note- I did it once at a Christians Mens Club -(ON REQUEST)- as their pastor was bachelor(?)it worked out ok-(performed as mentioned above)they ALL were happy-though we never did it again for a "Christian" audience. Ralph

Russo -

I'm confused by both of your posts above.

If you do (did) gospel shows for churches (according to your posts in the Good News area), as well as fun shows for kids and families, why would you ever consider putting anything sexually-suggestive in any of your shows? It just doesn't make sense to me that a Bible-believing Christian who attends church would ever think that way.

Even my shows for adult audiences are super-clean, because I'm a conservative person. Ephesians 5:3-4 (etc.)

Any chance that you could explain your point of view?

- Donald

P.S. I've had the occasional customer request things that I considered inappropriate. I just said no. If they pushed, I referred them to hire another entertainer who wasn't as conservative as I am.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Veteran user
Berlin/Germany
384 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
In the show the bra-trick got a kind of "hysterical laughter" too. Maybe the biggest laugh of the show although he really got a lot of laughs in his maybe 50 minutes. Maybe the magician used the trick for this reason as his closer.

Personally I do not see it as a cheap laugh. It was a big laugh and the woman who was involved maybe laughed the most.

The show was over, the boy walked from the stage area probably back to his parents or so and during the maybe 10 seconds I saw him he laughed all the time about this last gag. This just means he still enjoyed the last gag. This does not mean he did not like the rest of the show. What he remembers most is an open question.

Not sure but I guess if a magician would have performed the bra-trick in the year 1600 not one spectator would have considered it "cheap". As Damian wrote culture aspects play a big role here. Maybe 2200 once again nobody will see it as cheap.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I am with Damian on this. Americans are far too uptight about drink, body parts, underwear, and many other things. I don't do the bra trick, but I know I could do it at a family show and make it funny. It would not offend in Europe.
Russo
View Profile
Special user
578 Posts

Profile of Russo
Don (above ) chastised me- I never did the Bra sexually - 70 years Entering with Secular Shows and Gospel Programs(never -the Bra-for Gospel Programs )the show I did it for was for a Christians Mens Club-not A Gospel Program- Only Secular Fun Program) someone is a little UP Tight and JUDGEMENTAL - Sorry Kid.
Russo
View Profile
Special user
578 Posts

Profile of Russo
P.S. 70 years Entertaining with Secular(clean) and Gospel Programs(with NO Bra) - NEVER EVER had a problem.
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Pulling a bra off has a sexual connotation to it or at least from a Christian view point there is a level of inappropriateness. Donald's question,to me, seems to be saying why do something suggestive for a conservative group...i don't see judgement...i see him asking for clarity on what appears to be a contradiction...
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7373 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2016, Russo wrote:
Sorry Kid.

BTW, I'm 48, and I've been performing since the age of 10. Thousands of shows in the past 38 years (including 2 school assembly shows earlier today). Not really a kid any more. Smile

BTW, I never hinted or said that you did the bra trick in a gospel show. I just acknowledged that you did gospel shows and fun shows (which is what I also do), and I also said that I would never do that sort of trick in a fun show, even for a group of only adults... and part of the reason for that is because of my Christian beliefs, which drive my behaviors and beliefs about many things in my life... and that I feel the trick has a sexual connotation to it (your routine implies that the men took it off of your wife 'by magic', and you 'chastise' them in a joking way), and I don't want that linked to me in any sort of show environment for any audience. As Randy said above, even if it doesn't have a sexual connotation, there is some level of inappropriateness to it.

I think if you asked in the Good News area if it was appropriate to do a bra trick in a fun show (not in a gospel show), you would find many other performers (who happen to be Christians), who just wouldn't dream of doing that trick in a fun show.

- Donald

P.S. In this post, you said you were 79 and haven't been performing for the last 8 years. So, if you've been performing for 70 years (I assume that includes up to present), then you must have started around the same age as me... 9 or 10 years old.
John Martin
View Profile
Special user
994 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Way to go Donald....BRAVO
John Martin
View Profile
Special user
994 Posts

Profile of John Martin
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Would Professor Cheer's Rope Trick fall into this category?
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3268 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2016, ChrisG wrote:
Would Professor Cheer's Rope Trick fall into this category?

Good question, I'm on the fence about the Cheers Rope Trick in a children's show.

It's all performed by the entertainer, it does have underwear involved, but it has no possible way of embarrassing a women that does not know the reveal of a bra being pulled from her chest.

I can't say if the trick may offend anyone watching a kids show; but in my opinion, I think for a children's show if the underwear was replaced by something like a "THANK YOU", or a "THE END" silk it would remove any connotation of a sexual nature and just be a fun trick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Bra trick in family show - saw it live today (27 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL