The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Derek DelGaudio's "In & Of Itself" is spectacular! (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of cbmar
I'm surprised that more people on The Magic Café haven't been talking about Derek DelGaudio's current show at the Geffen Theater in Los Angeles "In & Of Itself".
Aside from one person mentioning that the show had been extended, I don't believe anyone else has referenced it here.
I thought it was, without a doubt, the greatest magic show I've ever seen. Not only are the tricks amazing, but it's a solid piece of theater with a beautiful script, and tons of heart. The only other magic show I've ever seen that comes close is Derek & Helder Guimaraes' "Nothing To Hide".

It's getting amazing reviews (Los Angeles Magazine says it "might be the best piece of theater you'll see this year") and has big names associated with it (Frank Oz directed, Mark Mothersbaugh did the music). If you're anywhere near LA, you should definitely check it out.
cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of cbmar
Penn Jillette spent the first 5 minutes of his podcast yesterday talking about the show. Apparently, two of the tricks fooled both him and Teller.
MrSteve
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of MrSteve
I'm the guy who mentioned the show has been extended--for some reason my post got moved to "SO Happy Together." I totally support what cbmar wrote. It's a remarkable and totally different show, so worth a visit.
cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of cbmar
I remain shocked that no one on the forum is talking about this show. Derek Delgaudio is on the cover of this month's Genii, and still... crickets!
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
I take it you enjoyed it.
cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of cbmar
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2016, MJE wrote:
I take it you enjoyed it.

Eh. It was ok.
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
182 Posts

Profile of rhiro
I saw Derek DelGaudio's "In and of Itself" in June with my wife. My wife isn't a magician and is the typical magician's spouse who has seen way too much magic and is way jaded. We both loved it! We also saw Derek and Helder's earlier "Nothing to Hide" and loved that show, too.

I purchased my tickets to "In and of Itself" immediately upon learning they were for sale, nearly a year in advance. The show had no title, no promise of anything, and I jumped at the chance to get tickets. I just knew it was going to be great. It was.

BTW, my wife was selected as a volunteer for one of the key moments late in the show. She was moved to tears, and still talks about what a wonderful moment it was.

Ross
mikelsc
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of mikelsc
The show has been extended 5 times and has to close on August.28. I tell all my friends in LA to go and see it since it's as much of a theatrical magic experience as a public education of what a good magic show should look like.

If you haven't seen it please do. Or maybe don't. And regret yourself for the rest of your life Smile

Cheers,
Mike
cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of cbmar
I've heard rumors that it will eventually be coming to NYC. (As "Nothing To Hide" did.) Not sure when though.

-Chris
mikelsc
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of mikelsc
I certainly hope it could tour a bit, but the show is LA based. The three month run is pretty exhausting to say at least, if there ever will be a run in NYC, it will probably be months after the LA run.

Cheers,
Mike
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I saw this yesterday. I happened to be coming to LA to bring my son back home from his summer internship, and just days before saw Genii's article on the show and decided to see if seats were available. Only two were...separate from each other...but I grabbed them.

For me to say this was a magic show is saying too little, and yet for me to say this was a magic show is saying exactly what it was. It all depends on how one defines what a magic show is, and that is exactly what Derek has done. Defined. Well, redefined. And in that redefinition he has given us exactly what we came to see...not necessarily illusion, or trickery, or foolery...but what magic is supposed to be. A journey. A revelation. A discovery. And a satisfaction that we are all empowered to be able to find that magic in anything or anywhere we choose to see it in.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
792 Posts

Profile of qkeli
If I was lucky to live near one of the theatres the show is performed' I would run to catch it and I mean it....furthermore one of his close assistant is a french name, coollll😀
petnard
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of petnard
I just got back from seeing the show & it is remarkable. Derek Delgaudio performed several unbelievable effects that had many magicians in the audience stunned. To call it a magic show would not be a accurate; it's illusions, cards, a play, a philosophical exploration. To describe it would ruin it. See it if you can. I hope it will be recorded.
toneill
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of toneill
Looking forward to this in NYC...April 5th - June 18th at the Daryl Roth Theatre.
toneill
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of toneill
Great article in the New York Times profiling the show:

https://nyti.ms/2mIDrRq
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
It is fantastic. In every way.

This is the new magic. Visceral. Evocative. Emotional. Evolutionary.

Not tricks being demonstrated, but instead, magic as an experience and as a part of life.

Seamless. Organic. Cerebral. An amusing and introspective reflection of humanity looking back at itself.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
m. gardner fan
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of m. gardner fan
I have to chime in and add to the praise of Derek's show. I saw it a couple of weeks ago in NYC. I can guess which two effects that were referred to in the above comments and I agree they were spectacular. Derek is definitely one of the best today. During the same weekend I attended the Derren Brown show. It too was great. Seeing these two shows in one weekend was better than attending a magic convention.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
It has been extended through December.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Vincenzo
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
215 Posts

Profile of Vincenzo
This show is in its final extension in New York and I'm going to see it next week in New York! I accidentally bought tickets for April 29th, when I'm unable to attend, so if anyone will be in New York during that time and is interested in purchasing my extra tickets, I'm open to reasonable offers! The tickets cost me $130.30 all in.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is very popular and got a standing ovation the afternoon I saw it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Derek DelGaudio's "In & Of Itself" is spectacular! (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL