The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dopplegangers (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
I know they are all great, but which Doppleganger do you like best? Thanks.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2457 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
M*re Gh*st

Of course ... it's the only one I have, so my opinion may not hold a ton of weight.

The system is incredible though.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5317 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2016, jaizon wrote:
which Doppleganger do you like best? Thanks.

Drew Barrymore, one ... Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
857 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Have them all,...hard to pick a favorite, love 'em all, but absolutely love the look, feel, texture and contents of Shakespeare.
Then again, one of my all time stories of wonderment has been "Alice", so....waiting with drool for the next, "double-Dopp" of the Alice stories!

Smile Smile Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1885 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Depends on the event. For some events, the bard is the best.

For others, Sir Arthur is my favourite, since he links to my larger narrative about the science of deduction. For those that have seen my show: I link the science of deduction with a dopps presentation, followed by a kurotsuke presentation. These three flow very nicely together and the dopps is a crucial part of the escalation of implausibility (to quote the magnificent Chuck Hickok)...

This summer I will be using three as part of a steampunk show Smile

Cheers

Todd
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2016, DrTodd wrote:

For others, Sir Arthur is my favourite, since he links to my larger narrative about the science of deduction. For those that have seen my show: I link the science of deduction with a dopps presentation, followed by a kurotsuke presentation. These three flow very nicely together and the dopps is a crucial part of the escalation of implausibility (to quote the magnificent Chuck Hickok)...

Cheers

Todd

Hi Dr. Todd, I would like to hear more about the "escalation of implausibility"...does Chuck Hickok have a book in which this is discussed? I would love to see a link to this if you have it on video. I just received my first Dopps in the mail and am diving into the manual.

Thanks!
jmg
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4204 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Soft soft in my heart for the Dickens.
A morality tale.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1885 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2016, ProfessorMagicJMG wrote:
Quote:

Cheers

Todd

Hi Dr. Todd, I would like to hear more about the "escalation of implausibility"...does Chuck Hickok have a book in which this is discussed? I would love to see a link to this if you have it on video. I just received my first Dopps in the mail and am diving into the manual.

Thanks!
jmg

Mentalism Incorporated Volume I

Cheers

Todd
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers

Todd

Thanks!
jmg

jmg...YOu just got your Dopps? From where?
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Purchased second hand; owner was selling several bizarre prop books. They come up occasionally in the "Lets make a deal" section here on the Café'.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers

Todd

Thanks!
jmg

Mentalism Incorporated Volume I

Cheers

Todd

Dr. Todd, thanks so much for recommending this book. His principles are broadly applicable to a variety of performance types. I just think the phrase "escalation of implausibility" is such an elegant way of describing this way of structuring an act. This book is a real eye-opener, and it is really increasing my respect for mentalism as a performance art.

DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1885 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Yes, the ideas set out in the book show how to start an act with plausible and explicable feats and then with each new effect the performance becomes less and less plausible. My own experience is that audiences need an entry point for an act and in many ways the slow build of implausibility is a great way to structure things.

I start with a pipe and a discussion of the science of deduction that comes from the story 'The Man with the Yellow Face' which features a pipe left behind by a visitor from which SH deduces details about the visitor. I then hand out THOTB and explain that divining words could be done through deduction, or deception, or something more....this is then followed by a kurotsuke 'find the killer' routine...
TH1
View Profile
Special user
Zombies beware! I have your heads on
587 Posts

Profile of TH1
While far from being my favorite literary work of the set, Ph.O.T.O. is probably my favorite Dopps as far as features. The stand-out feature that it has over the other Dopps to date is the "guaranteed threat finale." It also includes lovely full-color tipped-in glossy illustrations.
Beware of evil spirits...and depleted batteries! Smile
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1465 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
FYI - not mine, but 3 dopps for sale in tricks & effects for sale section for thise still looking......
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2613 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
I would LOVE an EAPoe version!!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
YitzhakNoDice
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
509 Posts

Profile of YitzhakNoDice
The one yet written.
A wise man's question contains half the answer. - Solomon ben Judah, Philosopher
morgaine_le_fey
View Profile
Veteran user
Montreal, Canada
389 Posts

Profile of morgaine_le_fey
The only one missing in my collection is the Shakespeare one and I'm hoping to seeone sometime in the Sale section.
As for favorites: Dickens, PotO and Spectre
balzar
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of balzar
Having only one (so far) I have no basis for comparison, however I am mightily impressed by "M*re Gh*st".
Louis Cypher
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Louis Cypher
Does anyone know if the Dopp expansion pack #1 will work with M*re Gh*st.
Thank you
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1363 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2016, Louis Cypher wrote:
Does anyone know if the Dopp expansion pack #1 will work with M*re Gh*st.
Thank you

It will not. The Ice Age coins could be made to work, though only marginally, with M*RE GH*ST, but the recorded sessions work only with the 'full doppelganger effect' requiring 3 or more Dopps in the routine.

Sorry.

BC
Phasmologist
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dopplegangers (25 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL