The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Thumbtipedia by Vernet (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I see a full page ad in the recent Genii magazine for this, as a lover and avid user of this amazing prop, it piqued my interest. So I go to the site, and found nothing, I do a search on the site, still nothing. I email and 2 days later, you guessed, nothing. 4 days go by and I check the site and nothing.
I know there have been many discussions on "To use it or not" as it is in every magic kit and in many retail stores, heck, I even saw one for sale at an airport many years back. But after not using it for a long time, I ordered and watched, learned and now use to great extent with huge success. I am speaking of Dan Harlan's , Video Tarbell course. It got me motivated and the "Ear Bud" effect is with me everyday. as well as a regular medium soft Vernet tip, ready for a ton of seemingly impromptu effects. Also at the same time, I ordered Blacksmith by Tim Trono & Rick Lax at Penguin, again more motivation to use and create my own effects. My 1st thought on Blacksmith was not good, but then I brought it up while hanging with some magi bud's and they loved it, so after playing with it for a few days, I found myself at my local, small hardware store and it was in my pocket, so I tried it. And it was amazing to see the sales guy react the way he did, Now it is something I do a lot and folks love it. Never has any one, child , teen or adult mentioned a TT. The handling makes it a non issue, please give any of these effects a try and see for yourself. Please know, I have no connection to anyone listed here, they have no idea I exist. I am just this excited by the effects and use of a TT.
I would also like to thank Michael Amar and his video Classic Renditions, his teaching is the very best. And when he exposes his giant red TT, it proves how invisible it really is.
Thanks for allowing me to ramble. Dave
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
This has happened before with Vernet products, big ad and then you can't find it to buy.
I love TT material, I did once an entire show with just TTs at the Magic Castle
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I met Losander at the first Pittsburgh Road Show (a year before Penguin took the show over) and was talking to him about not using it much anymore just because so many people know of it. He proceeded to do a quick "thump tip" routine for me and I commented that it is amazing how well he kept it hidden (as I knew what to look for). He told me it was not on his thumb, it was in my wallet. He asked for my wallet, I gave it to him and he proceeded to produce the thumb tip from inside my wallet. (Like a CTW reveal).

Total amazement on my part after years of "trick of the week magic". That really got me to open up some drawers and go back to some basics and I carry and use my thumb tip often to this day.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Over a month now, still nothing on their site and no reply. I emailed again this morning.
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
I will buy it an looked on sites for a best price and it look slike merchant of magic is the best price £19.58 so I will probably get it from them
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
I just tried to pay for it on merchant of magic site and the price jumped from £19.58 to £23.50 in the check out,I think there website must be broke
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
956 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2016, Karl M wrote:
I just tried to pay for it on merchant of magic site and the price jumped from £19.58 to £23.50 in the check out,I think there website must be broke

The first price you see Karl is excluding VAT 20% .The final checkout price is correct .
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Thanks that's really misleading then it makes them one of the most expensive ones to get it from
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Title: Thumbtipedia
Publisher: Vernet
MSRP: $ 25
Skill Level: Beginner
DVD Run time: 1 hour and a half

Type of effect: tricks with a thumb tip

Manufacturer's Write Up:

The thumb tip is the most powerful gimmick you can carry in your pocket.

In 1970 Vernet revolutionized the world of magic with the release of his famous thumb tip. For more than forty years Vernet has been using cutting edge technology to make the most realistic thumb tip ever seen!

Finally Vernet is releasing a DVD with more than thirty unique and fantastic routines! With this DVD you'll be able to release all the potential this extraordinary gimmick has.

These routines are truly professional, extremely practical and with really clever methods!

You'll find a wide range of routines ideal for close-up, parlor, stage and bar magic.

You'll be amazed with all the different applications that this weapon can have for every possible situation!

Includes: thumb tip gimmick and DVD
Languages: Spanish and English
Duration: 90min approx.

How accurate is the ad copy? No deception

What's in the box? DVD and small thumb tip

Key points: DVD is taught in Spanish with English dub. Many effects are taught for a king size thumb tip

How are the production values: The Performer offers a studio performance and explanation standing against a red curtain. Mostly the entire video is performing for a stationary camera with a few close up shots for detail.

Is it well made: Many effects are taught for a king size thumb tip

Is it well taught: Aside from the English dub, I felt it was easy enough to watch and listen to.

What tricks are taught?

Cut and restored rope
Cut and restored silk from a newspaper tube
Vanishing heap of salt
Vanishing lit cigarette
Color changing silk
Signed silk from a dinner roll
20th century silks
Appearing goldfish
Silk becomes an egg
Silk travels from one hand to the next
Silk from coin purse clasp
Balancing a card on the back of your hand
Torn and restored paper
Vanishing an extra large silk
Transforming a $1 into a $100 bill (mismade bill 50:50)
And many more….

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked): I thought it was odd that most of these effect required a king sized thumb tip, but the TT included was a medium sized

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" fits neatly in your pocket

Does it "play big?" the thumb tip is an instrumental tool in the magician’s arsenal.

Difficulty / Skill level required: These are beginner level effects, that said I wish I had a video like this when I had first bought my thumb tip.

How much arts and crafts are involved? none

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?)

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

_____ Very Satisfied
X Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

Over all this is a great resource, I would have liked some material on care and how many thumb tips you should have and perhaps how you should wear the thumb tip but no worries.

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dGetxLzHgA
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
A nice collection of thumb tip ideas.

Mike Donoghue
Colin (C.J.)
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of Colin (C.J.)
Thanks for the comprehensive review Mike.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Hi Colin,

there is no need for me to give a comprehensive review as David Kennedy has already done that.

Oh, I see you are just being a sarcastic F....R.

I own the dvd & have watched it and that is my opinion of the material, A NICE COLLECTION OF THUMB TIP IDEAS.

Buy it, watch it & then you give it a comprehensive review.

Really hope you ain't going to be a new negative trolling reviewer who never buys anything & complains about everything.

Mike Donoghue
Colin (C.J.)
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of Colin (C.J.)
Sorry Mike I was trying to be funny but I think I missed the mark! Much is lost through the written word on forums, if you could see my face I'm sure you would laugh.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Ok Colin.

Sorry about that M8.

Mike Donoghue
Colin (C.J.)
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of Colin (C.J.)
Thanks Mike, my friends are always laughing at me for putting my foot in my mouth. They gave me the nickname calamity Colin!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Thumbtipedia by Vernet (2 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL