The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » An Electric Deck? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Has anyone used one of these before? What are they like? (For those of you who don't know at all what it is, it's apparently some sort of deck that "flows" from one hand to another.) My guess is that the cards are all attached so you can do waterfalls and such w/ ease, but I dunno. Please tell me if you've used one. They sound like fun, and a good investment for photos.
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
Your guess is correct. I've used it as a comedy bit using the Niagara Falls patter which I first saw on a David Ginn tape. His tape also had the method for attaching the cards (which is very basic).
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
So is it worth it? What all can you use it for?
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
You can't really "use" it for anything.

You can take some decent photographs, make some wierd gravity defying spread, do really really easy arm spreads and waterfalls.

Or my favorite:
Ask them to take a look and make sure its a regular deck, once they agree(based on sight alone, most will respond that its ok) you drop it down and swing it around your head and throw it.

Btw that is the Amazing Jonathan's so don't steal it!
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
Yeh I purchased one when I was a bit younger to have fun with doing waterfalls and that, They are actually hand made and I believe it takes quite some time, I am not sure if it is the same as the one on the David Ginn tape though.
T.House
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of T.House
Haines House of Cards used to make one. Perhaps they still do. For their deck, the cards are sewn together. David Ginn's approach is to staple them at the short ends. Don Lawton used to do a bit in which the cards would cascade from one hand to the other, illustrating Niagra Falls. He would then turn around and do the same thing, showing Niagra Falls from the Canadian side.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It's a fuss to make, though fun to play with. It you take the work to get a card reversed into the thing, it is about the best 'kicker' for triumph or brainwave I have found.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I suppose that if you had a bicycle electric deck you could do AMAZING feats of card manuevers, then do a deck switch and continue w/ tricks. I'll have to pick up one anyway. They sound quite fun.
Triple"F"
View Profile
New user
Melbourne
12 Posts

Profile of Triple
Just as a little bit of history for you the electric deck when first used was seen by another magician who was so impressed with the card skill of the user that he went home and proceeded to try and learn how to do the feats he had just witnessed unknown to him the magus he had just seen had used an electric deck and was by no means a card man of great measure but had mearly fooled his audience into thinking he was but I get off subject the point is up until then no one had ever done a waterfall before and unknowingly thinking it was a normal deck the magician went home and proceeded to practice the waterfall until he had got it down pat and then went back to see the original magus the one with the electric deck and show him, to the amusement of the first and befuddlement of the second the magus showed him his electric deck but he had no need for one as he could now waterfall with an ordinary deck. does any of this make sense I have a hard time articulating what I am trying to say even when it is just plain facts oh well I hope you all get the idea

Paul Triple "F" Fletcher
:bluebikes:
Justin Craddock
View Profile
Regular user
buffalo,ny
127 Posts

Profile of Justin Craddock
I have no real use for it but it is fun to play with and make laymen think that you have real skill.
"When a performance is over, What remains"
bvbernard
View Profile
New user
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
95 Posts

Profile of bvbernard
Quote:
On 2004-03-17 17:14, Triple"F" wrote:
Just as a little bit of history for you the electric deck when first used was seen by another magician who was so impressed with the card skill of the user that he went home and proceeded to try and learn how to do the feats he had just witnessed unknown to him the magus he had just seen had used an electric deck and was by no means a card man of great measure but had mearly fooled his audience into thinking he was but I get off subject the point is up until then no one had ever done a waterfall before and unknowingly thinking it was a normal deck the magician went home and proceeded to practice the waterfall until he had got it down pat and then went back to see the original magus the one with the electric deck and show him, to the amusement of the first and befuddlement of the second the magus showed him his electric deck but he had no need for one as he could now waterfall with an ordinary deck. does any of this make sense I have a hard time articulating what I am trying to say even when it is just plain facts oh well I hope you all get the idea

Paul Triple "F" Fletcher
:bluebikes:

Yes, I understand. However, punctuation and use of paragraphs would help immensely for most other people.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Ever seen the electric deck where all of the cards can be shown separately? There was one on the market.
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
Empire is now selling the electric deck in Bicycles at a very reasonable price. Around $5 if I remember correctly. I use it at the start of every stage act. I shuffle the electric deck while I make my opening remarks, go to Harlans floating card, card change in mid air, diminishing cards, and Hammonds Fan-to-see. A great 4 minute opener.
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
Scott Chesney
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Scott Chesney
I use the electric deck for comedy purposes only (playing cards as an accordian, etc.)....really just as a break between tricks.

Scott
magicmonkeyman
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of magicmonkeyman
How do you make a electric deck?
Alniner
View Profile
Loyal user
Burlington, ON, Canada
254 Posts

Profile of Alniner
Magicmonkeyman,

You need to splice the wires, attach the positive wire to the top of the deck and the negative wire to the bottom.
Skål

--
Alan
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
... and attach the positive wire to the negative side of a battery, so the resulting short circuit will make the cards electromagnetically dis-attracted and allow you to make it look like you're doing cool flourishes.
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Smile That's pretty good. I made my own "cheap" electric deck by taking an old deck and stapling cards together. Worked for a little while, then I had to throw it out.
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Fun to play with, but not all that much fun...Gets old real fast. But they're pretty cheap and maybe worth it as a novelty.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2004-12-22 15:04, magicmonkeyman wrote:
How do you make a electric deck?

Lots of sticking and threading. It is probably easier to buy one for the time it takes to make it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » An Electric Deck? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL