The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Feeding ancient Egyptian workers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Egyptian pyramid workers lived in dormitory camps and ate in communal kitchens. The staple food was a large loaf of bread, baked in a crude cone or beehive shaped pan called a bedga.
http://www.aeraweb.org/lost-city-project......workers/
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I know that would seem to refute the earliest image of a Magic performance theory .

Just keep in mind that common, everyday objects make the most convincing props.

I'm not saying,.... I'm just saying.

Thank you for the post ringmaster.

-Mary Mowder
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
"Exerimental archeology" apparently means we can look at stuff we find in digs, then play around with what we find, then project our findings back int the past and make conclusions.

I could write a dissertation on the implications.

The truth is that I love this stuff and find it cool. Ancient things are my forte. There is a reason that Herodotus, Plutarch, and the Bilble would be on my desert island reading list.

But this stuff? No thanks. Too much guessing for my taste.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea guess as opposed to hypothesize is not really stimulating.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
That's a cool find
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I thought the whole point is to do that projective interpretation. As Eco did not write...the role of the writer and the limits of justification.

The Egyptian image was mentioned in context as far back as 1948 in Victor Farelli's book on John Ramsay's Cups and Balls routine. Who said it was someone doing the cups trick?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2016, stoneunhinged wrote:
"Exerimental archeology" apparently means we can look at stuff we find in digs, then play around with what we find, then project our findings back int the past and make conclusions.

I could write a dissertation on the implications.

The truth is that I love this stuff and find it cool. Ancient things are my forte. There is a reason that Herodotus, Plutarch, and the Bilble would be on my desert island reading list.

But this stuff? No thanks. Too much guessing for my taste.

That's a bit unfair. We can use experimental results to increase or decrease our confidence in our interpolation of ancient sources and artifacts. That's not quite the same as "project[ing] our findings back into the past and mak[ing] conclusions."

For example, modern chemistry can help us to understand ancient metallurgy (or bread-baking). Much has been learned about paleolithic tool-making by actually flaking rocks and trying to replicate the edges found in artifacts. Once we make an arrowhead, we are not guaranteed to know who the ancients accomplished the same task, but surely we're further ahead than we were before we tried to do it ourselves.

But I'm pretty sure you agree with this and were being provocative.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Rumor has it Egyptians invented beer to feed the workers. To this I'm eternally grateful to the Pharaohs...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Feeding ancient Egyptian workers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL