The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Can someone recomend a decent Cups and Balls set that is not $$$? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2076 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
This is incorrect. This is not how beads are counted when designing a cup. I have never ever heard anyone say I have a 3 beaded set of Paul Foxes or even 4 on the Chick Cups. The rolled mouth is not considered a bead. The last set, a mini set only has 1 bead. This was originally an Rings N' Things cup and were combo sets. 2 types were made the Rings N' Things. <wait for it> Thee ORIGINAL FOXY cups if they were aluminum they were Rings N Things, if they were Copper. they were the Milt Kort cups and distributed by Magic Inc. in Chicago. They are very rare and hard to come by, even 12 years ago they were rare.

Only 1 bead matters and that's the top bead the other cup will rest on. It makes no difference how many you put on. Its the size and top bead. This top bead should detract the spectators to focus on it rather than the saddle, when you want the spectators to focus on the saddle its when you want them to and the balls will do the rest of the work. Keep them focussed on the top bead and loads will be a lot easier to get to and produce.

I still have the Mini tooling from Rings N Things, not something I had ever thought of giving up. So the next time you look at your cups, the rings in the. center are what are ring, this whole video was incorrect. The last set I received Dale Houk sold as Mini Montis, but were actually the copper version of the Foxy Cup. The last sets I've seen on auction brought in 600.00 for the copper set.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2016, Julie wrote:
'Just my opinion, but I think cups with 3 rings (even some of the 2 ringed ones) look "tricky" as opposed to just a single ring.

Julie

Jim Sisti also believed that several beads on a cup made them look "tricky" which influenced his decision to design his Working Performers cup with only one bead. When he performed with a PF set, spectators would mention that there appeared to be more than three cups when stacked.

Beyond any aesthetics, the extra second or third bead gives the cup a slightly better grip.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
The steel cups and the blue gun metal steel mini's I have from Jake Sr. have one bead.

I also have the original (Magic Inc.) COPPER MILT kORT "FOXY" COMBO CUPS with white paint on the insides. These very seldom appear at auction.

Julie
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Julie,
I'm going to go check my mini cups from Roings N Things. I was told the gaff was secured by the now outlawed Magic Poxy.. I'll check back later, I'm trying to figure out what white material you have Julie.

Jake Sr.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Julie, I have the same as you. I also noticed only 1 cup had a gaff, not all 3 like in todays cups. The design of the RNT mini Foxy cup is one of the best designs I've seen. Both sets were included with pom poms. The gaff in those was very subtle.
After RNT closed the design was carried on in the Ickle Pickle mini set and named polished 15 years ago. Now they ware only available in satin finish. Not much of the IP products are polished anymore.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hi Jake,
The balls with mine are red crocheted. There are TWO sets of 4 smaller balls. One ball in each set is chopped. There are 3 larger red crocheted climax balls. ONE cup is chopped. Yes, the gaff is offset. (nice!)

Why was "Magic Poxy" outlawed?

Julie
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Something to do with the chemical make up of the MagicPoxy the EPA deemed poisoned or distrustful and dangerous. I'm really not sure. There are epoxy methods now that are about the same as MagicPoxy, but not as dangerous. The only reasons we didn't use it was A. 80.00 per cup to do B. A lot of performers like a Patina.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Can someone recomend a decent Cups and Balls set that is not $$$? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL