The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » IFlight by Bill Perkins (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Ordered after Alan's post.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2016, reignofsound wrote:
Ordered after Alan's post.

Really? It was that exact post that put me off ordering.
Wayne Liew
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Wayne Liew
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2016, JD_UK wrote:
This looks good but method seems fairly obvious to me. Maybe I'm thinking like a magician but I normally get fooled easy! Kyle seems to take ages to get the sharpie out of his pocket too!

Me too. Concern about the loading speed. Wondering can it be done a little swifter Smile
Beauty grabs the eyes. Personality grabs the hearts.
Billman
View Profile
Loyal user
New hampshire
219 Posts

Profile of Billman
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2016, Wayne Liew wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2016, JD_UK wrote:
This looks good but method seems fairly obvious to me. Maybe I'm thinking like a magician but I normally get fooled easy! Kyle seems to take ages to get the sharpie out of his pocket too!

Me too. Concern about the loading speed. Wondering can it be done a little swifter Smile

Wayne, in an earlier post I had responded a quality load, on average, should take you 4 seconds. Faster than 4 seconds is all dependant on how much practice you put in.

Hope this helps

-Bill Perkins
Wayne Liew
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Wayne Liew
[/quote]

Wayne, in an earlier post I had responded a quality load, on average, should take you 4 seconds. Faster than 4 seconds is all dependant on how much practice you put in.

Hope this helps

-Bill Perkins [/quote]

Ops I overlooked that! Thanks for the information Bill Smile
Beauty grabs the eyes. Personality grabs the hearts.
Ollie
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Ollie
This looks awesome, will have to pick one up.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Let me begin by saying that I love this. I think it's a very creative and very good modern take on ring flight. There are trade-offs from versions using a reel (super-clean vanish, zipped-up case) and some gains (ring apparently threaded onto multiple wrapped strands of headphone cable).

What I cannot for the life of me understand is why I had to be subjected to 30 minutes of the same information being repeated and over-explained, ad infinitum, only to have the whole thing demonstrated and succinctly explained in about 5 minutes at the end. Nothing more than these 5 minutes was needed at all. Everything before it is extraneous and superfluous. In fact, the whole thing could be taught in 5 minutes with visuals only, and no voiceover. I find most videos in magic are like this; way too much unnecessary explaining and blah-blah. Richard Sanders is notorious for this.
Producers of these videos need to take a cue from Homer Liwag's CoinOne.

Also, I'm inclined to think that the very end of the trick demonstrates what the magician says to not be true. Perhaps there's a better way to remove the ring that supports the viewer's belief? Yes, it looks elegant the way it's taught, but it betrays the nature of what has supposedly occurred.
It's all in the reflexes.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2016, JasonL2112 wrote:
Even if they go down the road of including BT headphones, I don't imagine the 1/8" jack will be disappearing anytime soon. Way to many high-end headphones in the wild to completely pull out that capability.

The next Motorola Moto Z phone supposedly will not have a headphone jack and there are credible rumors that the iPhone 7 will not have one either. Although in the case of the iPhone it probably will accept wired headphones through either the Lightning connector or by use of an adaptor of some kind.
It will be funny, some may have to start carrying a "magic phone" to gigs just like many performers use a magic wallet when performing that is not their everyday wallet.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2016, Illucifer wrote:

Also, I'm inclined to think that the very end of the trick demonstrates what the magician says to not be true. Perhaps there's a better way to remove the ring that supports the viewer's belief? Yes, it looks elegant the way it's taught, but it betrays the nature of what has supposedly occurred.

That was one of my thoughts as well.

"Look - it's wrapped around every single strand of my headphones."

Pull the ends apart to show that it's actually just 1 strand.
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1695 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Quote:
Let me begin by saying that I love this. I think it's a very creative and very good modern take on ring flight. There are trade-offs from versions using a reel (super-clean vanish, zipped-up case) and some gains (ring apparently threaded onto multiple wrapped strands of headphone cable).

What I cannot for the life of me understand is why I had to be subjected to 30 minutes of the same information being repeated and over-explained, ad infinitum, only to have the whole thing demonstrated and succinctly explained in about 5 minutes at the end. Nothing more than these 5 minutes was needed at all. Everything before it is extraneous and superfluous. In fact, the whole thing could be taught in 5 minutes with visuals only, and no voiceover. I find most videos in magic are like this; way too much unnecessary explaining and blah-blah. Richard Sanders is notorious for this.
Producers of these videos need to take a cue from Homer Liwag's CoinOne.

I agree , I much prefer a simple , direct and short instruction .
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
Billman
View Profile
Loyal user
New hampshire
219 Posts

Profile of Billman
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2016, barts185 wrote:
Quote:

That was one of my thoughts as well.

"Look - it's wrapped around every single strand of my headphones."

Pull the ends apart to show that it's actually just 1 strand.

Illucifer, Bart,
Thank you for the comment. Luckily this is just scripting. If you prefer to leave that part out and just pull the cords apart you can. It's just another subtle wording choice used to reinforce the idea of the ring around every strand. The effect works just as well either way.

Also about the length of the download. I'm not sure I see this as a negative. If you are going to spend this kind of money and want to perform the effect well, I would think the more detail the better. It's an interesting method that we felt needed a thorough explanation. That's why we put both myself and Kyle's explanations in this project. If we had done a short video I'm sure I'd be hearing from someone it wasn't long enough. Haha.

Thanks,
Bill Perkins
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Thanks, Bill.

Regarding the "wrapped around every strand", I think maybe you missed my point. I understand you're saying the line to re-inforce that idea, but it seems clear to me that the actions do not support what you're saying, only at the very end. Up until that point, all is copacetic. Just being realistic about that. My point was that the strength of this is the belief that it is indeed linked around multiple strands, and to show the opposite to be true diminishes that apparent fact. I'm wondering if there might be a way to simulate what it would really be like to remove a ring that is threaded around many strands. No, it won't look as elegant, but may appear more real. Or not. I'm curious if, in your experience, anyone has ever noted this discrepancy after the performance.

You're correct that some would complain it's too short. Also, I get your point about details in the video, but in this case (and many others) the problem is that there is no new information that isn't covered in your 5-minute breakdown. It's simply repeated, and more than once. If something is demonstrated on video, there is absolutely no need for the presenter to say, "Let me show you that one more time" and repeat it. It's a video. The viewer can simply scrub back and view that segment again if he/she needs to see it again.
New information, great. The same information over and over, not great.
It's all in the reflexes.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4305 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Any further reviews or comments?
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
We have this in stock ready ship in the UK. http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/i......ick.html

The trick is easy to do and if you use something like Any Ring by Richard Sanders with it you have an age to do the required move making this almost self working.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Billman
View Profile
Loyal user
New hampshire
219 Posts

Profile of Billman
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2016, magicinsight wrote:
Any further reviews or comments?

Magicinsight,
Below is a great review from a customer over at penguin.

"If I could give this 10 out of 5 stars, I would definitely do so. All of us magicians know that interlace is one of the greatest ring flights of all time but it's only practical if you are wearing suit pants or jeans that are kind of baggy. On the other hand, iFlight is one of the greatest ring flights that you could carry in your pocket I've ever seen in all of my 15 years of doing magic. This ring flight is so organic and so impossible that your spectators won't see it coming. I performed this the exact same day I received it when I had to go to my next gig which was today and everyone was just blown away. This is a trick you will have to practice. I'm a very advanced magician so it took me a little less than 20-25 minutes to practice but for you beginners to intermediate magicians it will take a good couple of weeks to master. If you can misdirect a spectator and are very good at making any small object vanish, then you are golden. I will make a video of myself sooner or later when I get the time to teach a very simple ring vanish with your t-shirt. Imagine vanishing a female's ring in such a way where you wrap the ring around with your t-shirt and the female grabs onto her ring through your shirt and when she lets go the ring completely vanishes. She can completely examine your shirt and the ring appears sealed on the headphones. The headphones can be examines! Keep that in mind. This ring flight is a gem and I will always be using this. I usually don't give a lot of reviews but this one I had to give one after my gig."
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I picked one up at the Penguin Magic Road Show in Pittsburgh Pa. Luckily Brent Braun happened to have 2 with him as it was not a featured item at the show. I had already pretty much figured a lot of the workings from the trailer but I still thought it looked like it could be a solid routine if properly presented (not like the trailer). It in fact is a really good routine. Yes, the teaching video is a bit long but so are about 50% these days. I got what I needed and now I have a "non run of the mill" ring flight (without the chance of damaging a ring). The loading is very fast (4 seconds is probably spot on) and you do not have to hold the sharpie like a lobster trying to hide a stick of tnt (which was how I viewed the trailer) you do need to "handle it" but a fairly common move will make everything examinable in the end with no suspicion.

I really like it a lot more than I thought I would. I even picked up a couple other "Earphone effects" since then to kind of continue down the garden path.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
NothingUpMySleeve
View Profile
New user
London
2 Posts

Profile of NothingUpMySleeve
I have wanted a ring flight for a long time. However, the problem was that most ring flights were either a wallet or a set of car keys, and it would be weird for a person of my age (14) to be carrying either of them around. So when I saw this, I knew I had to get it! This is a very modern, non-mechanical, and no risk take on a classic. The method behind it is very clever and practical, it requires a fair amount of misdirection and multitasking (speaking smoothly and without hesitation during the load) but nothing that can't be solved with a bit of practice. There is one thing that is quite annoying but isn't too big of an issue; the phone needs to stick out of your pocket about halfway, you can prop it up with a deck of cards if your trouser pockets are too deep, but I've found that some trousers are a bit too deep or too 'shallow' (for lack of a better word) if you know what I mean. So if you're considering getting this (which I highly recommend) you should check that your phone can stick out of your back pockets about halfway first. I've only had one problem with the load, that is, the ring ends up 'behind' my phone a lot, as in between the phone and my trousers, hidden from view. Is this a sign that I'm doing it wrong, or do I just need a bit more practice?

-Emmanuel
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
A very nice effect that may tie in well is a borrowed ear bud that is cut and restored, It is an amazing effect, easy to do and fits in your pocket. It is from the Tarbell series with Dan Harlan. I have been using it for a short time, but with huge success, worth checking out.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4740

Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » IFlight by Bill Perkins (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL