The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Leveraging "Celebrity" Status (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9769 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2016, charliecheckers wrote:

I had more exposure to Bozo than many others my age (except those in the Chicago area) due to the video tapes Larry produced. He performed at Canobie Lake Park in New Hampshire when I was young. We spoke of going there as part of a family vacation - it sadly never happened before he passed away in 2008.

Coincidentally enough, on this exact date in 2008!

[quote] It doesn't seem like locally produced tv shows occur any more for kids, maybe I am wrong, or there is a regional component to it. My thoughts were more along the lines of leveraging a You Tube channel. Endorsements is something I know nothing about. Sounds interesting though.[quote]
Yes, I think there are still uses for local television, especially when combined with a youtube or subscription strategy of personally deliverable content. Stations used to produce their local programming. Now days they don't. A production company, or perhaps you yourself, could produce your own programming and then either strike a deal (lease it) to the local outlets or several other possible options. Many ways to do this other than meets they eye. (Can't give away all of my secrets, lol)

Danny is right, it is cheaper for stations or networks to run a syndicated show than to produce their own. Larry faced this as well. He actually offered both. He first franchised/licensed to the key markets allowing them to locally produce their own version (which is why it's more like a license than a franchise as each was more different than the same). Later he took one of the Bozo's from Boston (Boston actually has it on two different stations, one locally produced, the other running the syndicated version) and created his own syndicated version that aired in the other 150 or so markets. He was actually making it both ways. Having his cake and eating it too, lol. As it became more expensive to produce locally, many stations switched over to syndicatio. This business model was shared with/taken from Romper Room as well. This was in the heyday of local kids programming.

In Chicago for example, kids used to get a break in the middle of the day and get to go home for lunch. This is where Bozo dominated. However once more and more school systems found a way to make money by keeping the kids at school and to sell and serve lunch, the noon hour audience instantly disappeared and the Bozo show switch to an after school or weekend show, while becoming more expensive to produce, as many either dropped it or picked up the syndication version. As I said, Larry has many stories to tell as does Willard Scott ad being both Ronald McDonald and Bozo.

Trivia: Most don't knwo this (I kwo I ddn;t until Larry told me) bt Bozo has a brother...His name was Nozo! (True!)

Quote:

I now nothing of lisences of this sort. Can you share with us what this is in a bit more detail?
Quote:

Yes, I will soon. I have licensed several of my shows and school presentations and tourig shows. Again, thia goes back to "how can a performer scale their business" topic I introduced previously here.

It was this thread that got my wheels turning and thinking about future possibilities. I am glad to see this thread moving forward with ideas, perspectives and insights.

Yeah, entertainment business is so unique and fascinating. It is different than most other business and offers so many great unique opportunities. Even most in the business know so relatively little as they tend to learn only the minimum or what they need for their current level and then stop learning. So therefore they typically only ever reach just a tip of the iceberg, when if willing, open-minded and able to see the greater picture there is sooo much more than is commonly reaized or meets the eye. It us truly unlike anything else and we (America) are still the worldwide leader in much of this. Entertainers should be more proud and vested in the industry and not just their little corner as it pertains just to them.

This is also why it is so frustrating and maddening when a puffing "know-it-all" comes on here pretending to be something they're not, or pretending to know more than they do, when in reality they should be the student and doing the listening.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1960 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2016, Mindpro wrote:
Yeah, entertainment business is so unique and fascinating. It is different than most other business and offers so many great unique opportunities. Even most in the business know so relatively little as they tend to learn only the minimum or what they need for their current level and then stop learning. So therefore they typically only ever reach just a tip of the iceberg, when if willing, open-minded and able to see the greater picture there is sooo much more than is commonly reaized or meets the eye. It us truly unlike anything else and we (America) are still the worldwide leader in much of this. Entertainers should be more proud and vested in the industry and not just their little corner as it pertains just to them.

This is a great point! I wonder how many fewer disagreements would arise here if everyone came with the purpose of propelling their business and respecting the industry. Thanks for reminding us of the opportunity and responsibility we have in front of us.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1960 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 3, 2016, TomBoleware wrote:
The Great Zuc would be the first to tell you that he is by far not the best magician in the business.

It's all about public perception.
Tom

While I agree that The Great Zuc would be the first to admit he is not the best magician in the business, if you exchange the word "magician" for "entertainer" (as he does), he would be a fine example of a very accomplished local entertainer of young children - so to say it is all about public perception is an overstep in my opinion.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2687 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Oh I agree he is an excellent 'entertainer' for young children.
And the public sees him as the best ‘magician’ to hire.

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9769 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2016, charliecheckers wrote:
...if you exchange the word "magician" for "entertainer" (as he does), he would be a fine example of a very accomplished local entertainer of young children - so to say it is all about public perception is an overstep in my opinion.

A very wise move. Too many label themselves restrictively. However most ARE magicians rather than entertainers. If you took away their tricks they'd be nothing. I've always said there is a difference between an entertainer and magician, and one should strive for entertainer. More opportunities, marketability and income potential as well.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1960 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 5, 2016, Mindpro wrote:
Too many label themselves restrictively. However most ARE magicians rather than entertainers. If you took away their tricks they'd be nothing. I've always said there is a difference between an entertainer and magician, and one should strive for entertainer. More opportunities, marketability and income potential as well.

The Great Zucchini demonstrated to me (via live attendance) this exact difference in dramatic fashion. His props are beaten up and almost incidental to his performance. Conversely, I have seen wonderful hand made colorful children's props used in ways that do not connect with the audience whatsoever. My brother and I have a long way to go towards consistently and continuously entertaining throughout our performances, but understanding this concept is an important first step.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9769 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
So many magicians, especially kids magicians are strictly are executors or magic tricks. Sure they may have a costume look or theme but try rely on their magic itself to provide the entertaining elements. The audience responses, the oohs and ahhs all come from the tricks. And then perhaps even worse, many of them are self-working, which is even more of just an executor. This unfortunately us due to the way most discover and start in magic.

You can easily tell because these are the guys that are always asking about tricks or "who has the best (insert trick or method here)", or "what is a good opener", "what is a good closer", and "what trick gets the best reactions in your show" (another word often taken greatly out of context.) It's about the tricks to them. That is always their priority and that's what they rely on for the entertainment factor.

Where as an entertainer is about being an entertaining personality. Being able to entertain any time any where. They are readers of people, they know what works with people and have an arsenal of entertainers tools (not tricks) that they can rely on at any time (stories, jokes, improv material, etc.

Once in the middle of a downpour rain storm at a festival I was to appear at, the Entertainment Director and the fest Executive Director came up to me and said we have a bus of senior citizens that have driven 100 miles to attend the fest today (it wasn't open due to weather) and they felt so bad for them as it was their outing for the month, she asked me if I could go on the bus and entertain them for a few minutes. 10 seconds later I was on a golf cart under an umbrella being wisked over to their coach. 30 seconds later I was in the bus entertaining them. They didn't know me from Moses. I went an hour with them having a ball (them and really myself too). I didn't rely on a single trick or crutch, just me as an entertainer. Could most magicians do this on the spur of the moment with no notice, props or accessories for seniors? A few perhaps, most not likely.

Unfortunately this is something that few discover and when they do it's after performing as just an executor, when in reality it should be a foundational decision made early on as it would likely change how one approaches and progresses as they approach their art or discipline.

While I don't know The Great Zucchini as well as many of you guys do, I know what he does and where it comes from. He is an entertainer. Sure he may be an entertainer that utilizes magic, but he also utilizes many other elements not magic in his entertainer's toolbelt. And the root or foundation of it is him and his personality.

It really is an important first step.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1960 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 3, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Bozo was part of the culture locally for us in Chicago. I watched it growing up, went a lot, as and the studio was close to Schuliens. The guys came in all the time and it was great to get to know them. It was an anomaly that can not really be looked to for duplication. The idea maybe bury not the specifics.

I agree completely with that. Things have changed a lot since those days, and that duplication is not possible. It is another reason I did not initially mention Bozo, as the example does not closely match my vision with respect to the specific implementation or results. Bozo, and the names Mindpro mentioned (most of which I never knew before) reached success far beyond the "celebrity" status of a local performer in the way I was thinking. I was/am thinking more along the lines of one who becomes well known among a target age group in a local area via sustained performances in front of large audiences along with other components of a coordinated and synergistic approach that yields multiple streams of income.

I also agree with Mindpro that there is much more opportunity to be successful at such a venture in a smaller town.

Quote:
I think of of the worst mistakes is guys who try to promote themselves as a celebrity when they have no star power. It makes you look silly often.

I also agree with this statement. To be successful, one would need a show that draws and captivates audiences with a strong connectivity, and a well played strategy that allows them to be perceived as a celebrity without having to be promoted as such. Working through the process requires knowledge and understanding far beyond what I currently poses, but I think I am at least starting to know what I don't know. I do know if it was easy or probable, there would be a lot more known examples. I agree with Mindpro though, when he shares that there are many possibilities available to us today that would not have been possible in the past. I know the secret lies somewhere in unlocking those doors.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9769 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I think this could be very possible still today especially if seeking just a local or regional market. Forgetting the Bozo example, there have always been others in area markets as well. In Chicago we also had Ray Rayner and Bill Jackson. Targeted directly at kids. Ray as more of a host of a morning cartoon show with art projects, music bits, and feature segements (from the zoo, with Cuddy Duddly, etc.). Again using local t.v. as the foundation.

Bill Jackson, was an artist and puppeteer who created BJ & Dirty Dragon and a entire cast of characters (puppets) that also hosted cartoons and many art/drawing related features. At one time he did go nationally syndicated with a slightly different version called Gigglesnort Hotel. Bill was a friend and when he was inducted into the Chicago Broadcasting Hall of Fame I worked with him and was the one that did the one on one live interview at the ceremony for the media.

Both of these guys utilized local television to proper their success. There were such guys in many markets across the U.S. Another similar example is Howdy Doody. This began as a radio show when Host Buffalo Bob Smith also did the voice for the character of Howdy. When television started to become popular it made the transition to t.v. (used by NBC to help propel the sale of television sets in America to families.) Also part of its success was merchandising that began during the radio days and then really took of once on t.v.

Many of these early kids "celebrities" came from radio/broadcasting or the circus. The one thing they all had in common, locally or nationally, is that they all used and utilized media.

This is why I think a contemporary versions would still be possible today. With more media options and opportunities available today, on a local or regional level, I am confident this could still be done. Tee key is to keep it commercial, mainstream and middle of the road. Not overly hip as many would tend to do with urban feel, rap music, etc. It must appeal directly to the entire demographic, boys and girls, all ethnicities.

Maybe I see it more clearly because of understanding the use of (and specific opportunities within) media, broadcasting and promotional (promoter) aspects of live entertainment. But if someone took the time to learn these individual components thoroughly and had a very specific plan from the beginning, it could still be very possible today. I think the biggest problem or difficulty would be trying to keep it just local or regionally. today's mediums tend to want to go bigger and wider with everything (which eventually could not be a bad thing either.)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20040 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have my doubts if it could be done today.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Leveraging "Celebrity" Status (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL