The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Nerves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
xtreme_mixers
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of xtreme_mixers
Does anybody have a suggestion for calming nerves and focusing while doing magic? It's getting easier but I was wondering if anyone has tips?
Matthew 7:5
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
The general rule is time and experience.

There are actualy two types of 'nervs' One is the actual fear of being the center of attention, and fear of failure combined, pretty rare.

The other is pent up excitement and energy that is not focused. This is common as you most likely have a deep desire to share something that you hold very dear, and get great satisfaction from.

Stay calm. 99.9% of your specs want to see you perform your effects and illusions. Have all of your routines and patter scripted and practiced in full.
Carry a cheat sheet of your effect order, in your wallet and learn 1 simple bill effect. If you end up lost you can look in your wallet to get a cue and then act like you need a bill, and go into your bill effect. This will keep things going, while you are getting cued and started again.

Dont do these to calm nerves:
Have a shot/drink before performing
Withhold sleep from your self
Overly tire your self the day before
Don't talk too fast this gives an impression you are nervous.

Do these:
Have fun. If you do, they will too.
Get plenty of rest.
Drink plenty of water before/during.
Keep caffeine to a bare minumum, or not at all.
Avoid lots of chocolate/candy/sugar.
Take the last 15-20 minutes before performing getting focused and 'in the zone' in a quiet place by yourself.

Good luck.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Man that was dead on. The best way to get rid of the shakes is to perform for as many people as you can as often as you can in venues where it doesn't matter. I was fortunate enough to have a 4 hour break in the middle of each day over my 4 year college period where I hung out at a building that was like the center of campus. I honed my performing style and audience management there. I honed the tricks in my room alone though if you know what I mean. After a while of performing the shakes definately go.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Take a breath.
pause.
drop your shoulders.
relax your hands.
Eye contact.
Smile.

... oh, and then keep on breathing after that.

A few of those work wonders.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
The best way to defeat nerves is to rehearse!!
Not practice...rehearse.
Over and over. Just exactly like you are planning on performing.
You MUST know your material so well you don't have to think about it.
There is really no room for short cuts here.
Not knowing your material that well will cause a lack of self confidense or the fear of what might happen.

A couple of things that will help:
Make a script and continually refine it. That's is write out each and every routine and what you plan to say.
Tape your rehearsals and review them many times.

If you have rehearsed well you will have all the confidense you need.
The preshow jitters are no big deal and go away once you begin. They are quite normal.
Daniel Faith
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I fogot that one Frank, breathe. Very important.

I never had to use the cheat sheet in my wallet but it was comforting to know it was there, in case a tube top rolled down or something and I was off guard for a minute. I do pull the wallet look to get someone to offer a bil though. As soon as you get it in your hand say: oh good the magicians union told me never use my own money for this next one. This gets a laugh from the folks you didn't borrow it from 40-50% of the time. Ok I know,its a groaner, and very old too.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5259 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2004-03-17 19:53, Guardian wrote:
Not practice...rehearse.

Ditto.
GaMBiT_101
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide
143 Posts

Profile of GaMBiT_101
Definetly, breathing is good, slow down you may not notice it but when your nervous you tend to speak faster, and as kingstardog said, remember the audience wants you to perform, they want the magician to do well, regardless.
"Being able to do tricks, doesn't mean you're able to be Entertaining!"
illuzns
View Profile
Regular user
My Room in Va.
104 Posts

Profile of illuzns
Everyone gets or has gotten the shakes at some point in their performing career. I have to agree that rehearsal is key and repetition of the material you are going to perform will help. Get your lines down and always prepare for "Outs" (little Gags and one liners). Just incase something does happen at a given point in your routines, you will be prepared for it.

The only other thing I can tell you that helped me out in this area is: Get to know your spectators first. Sometimes it helps to know you have a common ground with some of these people and it can help calm your nerves a little. I think someone else mentioned that most of these people are very willing to enjoy what you have to offer them. They are expecting you to show them something that very few other people can do(relatively speaking) and most of them want to be fooled even if they don't necessarily act like it at first.

If you start to get nervous, then briefly pause,take a breath,and regain your composure and slow down a little. Don't rush what you say or it will be harder for them to understand what you are trying to accomplish. Just relax and have confidence in what you know you can do. The rest will come in time.
Your friend in magic,
Illuzns
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
Take calms (you can get them at chemists) but always read the label.

For those who do not know calms are not drugs.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1058 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Yea, Calms are herbal. Good suggestion, althought they never worked for me (I'm a very hyper person).

All suggestions above are excellent... rehearse, know your material cold, don't do new stuff, just stuff that's dead solid. BUT... until you start performing regularly, in my experence the nervousness doesn't go away. For me it took about 25 gigs, under fire before I started to gain confidence. Just keep doing it for audiences... as often as you can. Sooner or later the nerves will fade away and your confidence enhance the power of your magic...

Ross Burtrum said it best:
"There is no substitute for performing for REGULAR PEOPLE on a REGULAR BASIS". In other words, peforming for family, friends or other magicians doesn't count. You need to get out there and do it with real audiences.

After a hundred shows for laymen, you'll know exactly what I mean...
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
xtreme_mixers
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of xtreme_mixers
Thanks guys this info has helped a lot and still is Smile cheers

xtreme
Matthew 7:5
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Everyone has given suggestions and they are all excellent. I only have a comment. I have been performing for going on 5 years now full time and I STILL get a little jittery every time.

The old thoughts, just like the very first show, of forgetting my lines, really screwing up and exposing a trick while performing it all run thru my mind. I just go out and start my routines and suddenly the fear is gone and I am fine. But for 5 minutes before the gig I am, inside,just a total wreck.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
It happens to me too sometimes Peter. I just think before the show how the audience will respond if I do VERY well. I always take a few minutes to calm myself before walkaround and make sure that I have everything in perfect place and stuff like that. It's all in the mind but hard to ignore.
Alan Gold
View Profile
Regular user
Key West, FL
149 Posts

Profile of Alan Gold
I still get nervous at times, and I have been a DJ and a magician, so I am used to having the limelight on me. Just the other day, while performing at my friend's magic bar, I was doing tricks for five gorgeous (not goodlooking, GORGEOUS) girls. And I was nervous. Which is odd, since women generally don't make me nervous. Well, not that much. Go figger. Of course, in that instance, I was able to have some beer to calm me down. Not generally an acceptable or recommended practice while working at a restaurant.

Actually, whenever I do something for the very first time, I am a basketcase (though I hide it well). The first time I ever did magic professionally in a restaurant, I was a wreck (though the people working that night swore they had no clue). Also, the first time I worked at other venues, did a private party, etc. Now I am faced with starting a street act, and I am just a total wreck. Once I get that first day out of the way, I will be fine....but until then, I am scared [bleep]less.

I know, I know...more beer.

In truth, I do have some practical recommendations. If you find yourself getting tense, force your shoulders down. When we tense up, our shoulders rise, and we don't realize it. Forcing them down helps us relax. Also, many people, myself included, often get a dry mouth when nervous. If your restaurant doesn't have mints handy (mine does), bring in some Tic Tacs. Not only will this keep you from getting to dry, but it will also keep you from offending the guests with all that garlic you had for lunch! Finally, and this last one is only recommended if you know the person well, at the start of the night, have one of the staff give you a quick neck/shoulder rub/massage. Not a good idea if you don't know the folks, but I can get away with it because I have worked at my restaurant longer than everyone on the waitstaff.

:-)

Alan
Remember: Al G. is just another way to say pond scum.
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
Tell jokes. if you get the audience laughing, you get WAY more confident.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I have to agree with the "rehearse" comments. Here is proof of that. We can stand and say the alphabet with little to no "nerves" involved---even to those "beauties" that show up. But if we had to say the Constitution (here in US) it would be a different story. Why? Simple we know our alphabet better. We rehearsed it more in school and even had to write it down (over and over again). Same with magic and mentalism. Know it like you know your name and you will find yourself actually looking forward to your next performance.

But I want to add something as well. Make your performance just that---YOURS. We each have our own personality that people want to see. Our own unique touch. Plus I learned that when we try to duplicate another performer we make extra work for ourselves. We have to learn the effect, then we have to remember how "so and so" did it. Now there are times when an effect calls for this duplication. But we all know there are times when we can add ourselves into the effect. Look for every chance to do this. You will present your performance in only a way that YOU can.

These ideas have helped me and I hope they help you as well.

Good magic to all,

Eric
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I'm always nervous before a performance, even after doing hundreds (thousands?). However, once I've begun all of the nervousness disappears. How? As mentioned above: rehearsal.

I always begin the same way. By this I don't mean that I always begin with the same effect; my opening effect will depend on myriad influences (type of show, venue, type of audience, mood of the audience, and so on). What I mean is that I always begin simply by talking to the audience: introducing myself, asking how everyone is doing, asking their names, and so on. By doing this all the time it is necessarily the best-rehearsed bit. And once I'm in the groove, so to speak, the nerves are gone.

So pick an opening and rehearse it. A million times. When you can deliver your opening whilst tying your shoes, or shuffling a deck of cards, or playing the piano, or rollerblading backwards, or double-clutching, or diving for a line drive, or separating an egg, or doing anything else that demands at least a modicum of concentration - and do it the same way every time - you'll find that you needn't worry about being nervous.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2004-03-17 21:02, Larry Davidson wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-03-17 19:53, Guardian wrote:
Not practice...rehearse.

Ditto.

Nothing better than know what are you going to do!
I agree!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Bryanpier
View Profile
New user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
62 Posts

Profile of Bryanpier
I always get that little pump of adrenaline before I perform. That's what makes it exciting for me.
If pro is opposite of con, then what is opposite of progress?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Nerves (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL