The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » AOK by Lewis Lé Val (52 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
464 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
John C - I'm assuming that you mean "the move" right? I imagine that you've used the underlining principle Smile It's always fun when I can brush off some of my old card technique!

Now, when I say that I realize that might send off some red flags for some people but I can assure you that given the requirements of the routine really ANYONE should find success with the mechanics (a credible/authentic presentation should really be the focus here).

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Coming Soon: OMNI-TEST (Limited Release)
For pre-release details go to:
www.mindofandrews.com/omni-test

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND
For more information and to download a free preview visit the link below:
www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues

PENGUIN LIVE ACT: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11689
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6712 Posts

Profile of bowers
Does this require a card sleight?
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
464 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
It does - but it by no means needs to be flawless. I really don't think this should scare anyone away from this.
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND

bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6712 Posts

Profile of bowers
Thanks Drew
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11515 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2016, DrewBstoss wrote:
John C - I'm assuming that you mean "the move" right? I imagine that you've used the underlining principle Smile It's always fun when I can brush off some of my old card technique!

Now, when I say that I realize that might send off some red flags for some people but I can assure you that given the requirements of the routine really ANYONE should find success with the mechanics (a credible/authentic presentation should really be the focus here).

Best,

Drew

Yes, the move. Gives me a chance to use it in mentalism. And in mentalism it's not really a move.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
416 Posts

Profile of daver
Bought it. Watched it. I'm a little leery of the initial elements of writing but overall, with the right set of timing, this has some definite possibilities. Need to try it before I form a full opinion tho.

And for those who think it is too similar to Becker's "Sneak Thief" - IMHO, you're right. Same principles, different handling to obtain the info, and less "proppy" and less set up.

Overall, I'll give it a 7.
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
WooverM
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of WooverM
Drew, you've been very helpful with your reviews. Giving a lot of vital information that in my opinion at least partly should have been on the trailer/ad copy while showing your respect for the secret. Thank you.
Woover
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4929 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I don't like this. Not one bit. Why? I'll tell you.
First of all, Lewis is very handsome. I hate that.

Second, Lewis is quite well spoken and he comes off very polite. I hate that too.

Third, Lewis is not only a great performer but he also explains things very well. I hate that.

I hate Lewis.
James
ps

Alright, alright, I love the effect. Super smart use of an old method. Excellent routine. I would do the one on one by asking them to draw three pics, one of past, present and future representations. Then divine from there.
I still hate Lewis. Boo Lewis Boo Smile
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
11515 Posts

Profile of John C
If you don't mind spending a tiny bit of money you can use double blank playing cards. They make everything much easier. If you know what I mean.

A double blank deck of 52 is around 5$
tricky360
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of tricky360
This is a great effect and uses two common principles in magic to create a great effect. Love the cold reading aspect to it as well, very clever.

John C I was thinking the same thing about a blank deck, to make the job easier.
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
719 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Thanks, Drew. I probably would not have picked this up without your review.

The basic principles at work here are as expected but the natural handling is where the true value is. I don't mind the move; the heat is off when it needs to be done. What I like most is that the cards are totally unprepared; if you have a stack of blank cards and any pen this can be done (and repeated) right away.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
464 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Glad I could be of some assistance to you WooverM and Scott0819! I'm normally one to wait for someone ELSE to post a more helpful review but I had good feeling about AOK so I thought I'd "fall on the sword" this time for everyone else's benefit - fortunately it was worth it Smile

Best,

Drew

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND

j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
I have found that only a few card moves translate well to business cards due to the properties of the material. Although I did enjoy the download and am happy I bought it I don't think I will use it because the move (which has to be repeated several times) would be spotted. In fact Lewis himself unintentionally demo'd the kind of fumbling that would occur during the explanation. Using blank playing cards as John C might be on option for some - but I would want to use my own business cards. I am going to practice this nonetheless and will post again if I change my opinion.
Lakewood, Ohio
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5096 Posts

Profile of Amirá
If Dee or Lewis open a Facebook page to share ideas, I will place in there my handling which eliminates that "move"

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
11515 Posts

Profile of John C
It's amazing at what a little practice will do. Especially with something you don't do regularly.
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1335 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
I think this is really very good and will definitely use it. It is very sneak theifesque but that's no bad thing and it is different enough to not tread on any toes and to be a totally justifiable release. You literally just need a few cards and I think I'll probably do this with double blank cards rather than business cards, but it could be done easily enough with business cards if they were slightly glossy.

A few people have mentioned a move and all I would say is the move should not put off anyone but the most cack handed sleight of hand phobes; as its done very casually and could in my opinion be done fairly sloppily without detection. To put this in perspective, I wouldn't / couldn't do this convincingly in a card routine, but I have no concerns doing it in this context.

All in all I would really recommend this.

Pablo - Isn't there a forum on the penguin site in "my downloads section"
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1617 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
There's a kind of mini-forum for each different thing in your 'my downloads' bit in your account. It's always worth checking as there's often some great contributions or questions that can clarify things.

Phill
-+: https://www.mythologycodex.com :+-

A collection of incredible jaw-dropping mentalism, now available.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
11515 Posts

Profile of John C
It's empty so far. Nice tip though.
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
It's definitely worth $15. Carefully explained. Easy to do. What's not to like?
John Jerde
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of John Jerde
Bought it ✔️
Like it ✔️
Use it ✔️
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » AOK by Lewis Lé Val (52 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL